7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

ned

Quote from: statto on June 06, 2023, 09:20:16 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on June 05, 2023, 11:03:20 AM
Quote from: The Coddfather on June 05, 2023, 10:52:45 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on June 05, 2023, 10:41:10 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 05, 2023, 10:38:34 AM
If they got into the english leagues then I think over time they might be close to winning the premier league given a wee bit of time. The problem is now they can't compete financially due to the TV money. The european money helps massively but is not always guaranteed.

Not a chance unless it was Arab money they were getting.

What has other teams in the premier league have over Celtic? (obviously excluding the monetary advantage)

Celtic are as big as any of them. But look at the likes of Man City! Pure shite and then the Arab money has turned them into a machine.
Celtic are as a big a club as Man utd and Liverpool?  Both tradition in Europe and followed globally.  There is generally no interest in Celtic outside Scotland and Ireland.  They haven't been competitive in europe in a long time either.

Celtic are well represented globally. Your statement is opinion not fact regarding interest in Celtic. Blinkered opinion at best. Obviously not as much as some of the English clubs due to the exposure of their league.

ned

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on June 05, 2023, 10:25:35 AM
It is a joke of a league though in fairness

I get it - they can only beat what's in front of them . But apart from die hards and actual Scottish fans who watches the Scottish league from week to week? It's awful.

I stand by the point that I think Celtic and rangers would probably get relegated from the English championship after a season.

It's a shame because some big players did become drawn to Celtic / rangers over the years but that seems to have waned now.

You obviously dont watch much of Scottish or English Championship football!

smelmoth

The standard in the English championship is significantly above the SPL.

Celtic can only beat the teams in front of them. But would the bottom half of the SPL survive a season in the English championship? And if relegated from it would they bounce back?

Celtic isn't the problem. It's Scottish football that's the problem.

The bit that baffles me is those that say Celtic or Rangers are a big as large English sides and would thrive in England if only they had access to the money. Whilst I can see the appeal of that argument it fails to address the point that Celtic/Rangers are not in the EPL, they don't have access to the money and therefore the players and don't play against the quality of opposition. The product people are watching is not the team that Celtic/Rangers could be or the contests they could be involved in in some theoretical future. It's the Celtic/Rangers of today. Mediocre players in mediocre teams battering utterly useless teams.

But yes. If run well and granted access to the EPL Celtic or Rangers could ride high like Newcastle or if run badly could be a Leeds. But they are stuck where they are and I can't see why anybody pays them any notice. It's not as if there isn't a better quality product available just as easily.

markl121

The problem in the SPL is Celtic and rangers though. The father in law lives in Motherwell, all his life, Celtic season ticket holder. The same is repeated throughout Scotland. If the people in the towns actually supported their team instead of the big two then the league as a whole would be better, wealth would be spread and it would be more competitive. Instead the big two have all the fans and can turn most away games into a de facto home game in a smaller stadium as the smaller home team give up 3/4 of the seats to away fans to get money.
I say this as a fan of an English club and know full well the Irish leagues would be far better if we all supported our teams, but we don't claim to have a great league and constantly blame the English premier league for our league being poor. I have this argument all the time with the in laws who claim the premier league is to blame for the SPL being poor without looking nearer to home and Realising if Motherwell sold out the ground every week then they maybe be able to have some level of competitiveness.

rrhf

In fairness the Scottish league a bit like the Munster or Leinster football championship. 

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on June 06, 2023, 01:27:20 PM

Celtic can only beat the teams in front of them. But would the bottom half of the SPL survive a season in the English championship? And if relegated from it would they bounce back?

The bit that baffles me is those that say Celtic or Rangers are a big as large English sides and would thrive in England if only they had access to the money. Whilst I can see the appeal of that argument it fails to address the point that Celtic/Rangers are not in the EPL, they don't have access to the money and therefore the players and don't play against the quality of opposition. The product people are watching is not the team that Celtic/Rangers could be or the contests they could be involved in in some theoretical future. It's the Celtic/Rangers of today. Mediocre players in mediocre teams battering utterly useless teams.

But yes. If run well and granted access to the EPL Celtic or Rangers could ride high like Newcastle or if run badly could be a Leeds. But they are stuck where they are and I can't see why anybody pays them any notice. It's not as if there isn't a better quality product available just as easily.

really?

smelmoth

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 06, 2023, 01:53:52 PM

really?

Well not any football reason why they would pay them any notice

trailer

The only thing keeping any interest in this league it the Celtic Rangers sectarian rivalry. Nobody is watching for the quality of the football or the quality of the competition.

ned

Quote from: smelmoth on June 06, 2023, 02:10:40 PM

really?

You are commenting on something you obviously dont know much about. Every home game you will have several thousand supporters from outside Scotland going to see Celtic.

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: ned on June 06, 2023, 01:15:55 PM

I get it - they can only beat what's in front of them . But apart from die hards and actual Scottish fans who watches the Scottish league from week to week? It's awful.

I stand by the point that I think Celtic and rangers would probably get relegated from the English championship after a season.

It's a shame because some big players did become drawn to Celtic / rangers over the years but that seems to have waned now.

You obviously don't have a clue either

Deluded bhoy army

lenny

Quote from: trailer on June 06, 2023, 03:17:18 PM
The only thing keeping any interest in this league it the Celtic Rangers sectarian rivalry. Nobody is watching for the quality of the football or the quality of the competition.

Both Celtic and Rangers would immediately be top half of the overrated epl even without the injection of tv money.  With tv money Celtic would be in the top 4 without a doubt. They have fans all over the world. Just last year Rangers reached the final of the europa league and were only beaten on penalties. The epl representatives who were good enough to be top 6 in england fell by the wayside beaten by better teams from so called lesser leagues.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on June 06, 2023, 12:10:58 PM
4 year contract for Spurs, that is a statement itself. Celtic's penny pinching love of short-term or rolling manager contracts backfires shocker.

We find ourselves in the mire pretty quickly, unless there's a succession plan in place for Kennedy. Ange a big fan of his.
It would not have made much difference now had Celtic given a 4 year contract to Ange. He was on a 1 year rolling contract, that means there is always 12 months left on his contract.
Instead of Spurs paying 2 years SPL managerial salary, they only had to pay Celtic for  the  12 remaing months.
In any event, I think Celtic did offer him 3 years  at the end of his first year but Ange preferred to roll.
Same  outcome though with the 3 year contract, small difference.

seafoid

Soccer is all about money.  Celtic and Rangers have players worth 120m. West Brom have players worth 60m.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ned

Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on June 06, 2023, 06:03:43 PM
Quote from: ned on June 06, 2023, 01:15:55 PM

You obviously don't have a clue either

Deluded bhoy army

You opined that Celtic would be relegated from the Championship if they played there. No way of proving that as Celtic do not play Championship teams competitively. Have played them in friendlies and beaten most but that counts for nothing. My belief that you are wrong is down to our games against certain teams in Europe who would be a level above English championship.

smelmoth

Quote from: ned on June 06, 2023, 04:52:45 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 06, 2023, 02:10:40 PM

really?

You are commenting on something you obviously dont know much about. Every home game you will have several thousand supporters from outside Scotland going to see Celtic.

I do t think your post makes any sense.

I'm fully aware of people travelling from outside Scotland. But that doesn't address any of the points I was making.