Managerial Abuse

Started by highorlow, August 08, 2018, 10:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Mourne Red on August 09, 2018, 12:21:25 PM
It's been fed in from the soccer, you see the abuse professional managers in EPL get.. People think they can use this in Gaelic football too, I've had parents give me abuse when managing underage, think people need to get their boots on and try management and see what it's like from the inside then they wouldn't be as quick to give abuse

Abuse from the sideline is poor form, and is something I can't stand. However, I can understand that a lot of it comes from pure emotion and being caught up in the moment. I can't understand the kind of individual who goes home from a game, cools off, and then pens & posts an abusive letter. Absolute losers, who clearly don't have enough going on in their lives. I know a current intercounty manager (who is not one of the ones who has spoken about it in the press lately), and he has had the same experience. He says some of it can be quite funny, some of the letters he gets are well meaning (offering advice on team selection, etc), but some of it is downright threatening. Absolute losers.

Don Johnson

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 08, 2018, 08:40:18 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 08, 2018, 04:11:13 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 04:09:44 PM
Kerry players aren't immune to dishing out criticism. Tomas O'Sé fairly went to town on Cian O'Neill. Different breed down there. A lot of self-entitlement.

If this is as widespread as it's starting to look then I'm sure o'Neill had a few letters sent to him from within Kildare too.

Like who even writes letters anymore?

My thoughts exactly ,who writes letters,a lot of people nowadays would not know where to get a stamp.

A lot of people now don't know you can get a stamp from a shop? Catch yourself on.

Owen Brannigan

Sport brings out the best in many and the worst in a small number of people.

In a previous life I used to get anonymous letters from parents of boys not picked for the school teams. I always knew who they were despite their attempted anonymity.   ;) I sometimes wonder if they would now on reflection be embarrassed by their actions, not too sure that they would given the characters involved.

Others would make appointments to meet with me and make all sorts of allegations against those who ran the teams because they didn't pick their sons. I have never forgotten one stand out phrase from a parent who told me with impassioned conviction that 'football is our life in our house' and explained the devastating effect that his son not being picked for the squad would have on his son's future.

Being able to keep things in context is an issue for a vocal minority.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Don Johnson on August 09, 2018, 09:54:21 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on August 08, 2018, 08:40:18 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 08, 2018, 04:11:13 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 08, 2018, 04:09:44 PM
Kerry players aren't immune to dishing out criticism. Tomas O'Sé fairly went to town on Cian O'Neill. Different breed down there. A lot of self-entitlement.

If this is as widespread as it's starting to look then I'm sure o'Neill had a few letters sent to him from within Kildare too.

Like who even writes letters anymore?

My thoughts exactly ,who writes letters,a lot of people nowadays would not know where to get a stamp.

A lot of people now don't know you can get a stamp from a shop? Catch yourself on.

I thought you needed to go to the post office to get a stamp
Hasta la victoria siempre