The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

No AZ i get what you were saying. I just ask about the owners because i remember everyone being cautious at the start. Im interested to here what people think now.

AZOffaly

I'm unconvinced by the Transfer Committee, and the stuff that they are producing, but as far as the owners go, I'm happy. They seem to understand that the more successful you are, the more money they'll make. They also seem to understand what LFC means to the fans, but they'd have that background from the Sox. I also like their emphasis on youth, and the backing they've given Rodgers. All in all, happy enough.

Carmen Stateside

We all know you are very hard on the transfer committee  ;)
Do you not think Lovern is a decent signing? i would be happy enough with The Flan and Enrique full backs.

AZOffaly

We'll see. I think the full backs are weak defensively, especially Johnson, and I'm not sure why people are placing such faith in Enrique. He's have seriously dodgy spells. Lovran might be a good signing, but I'm worried we're falling into the trap of buying quantity rather than quality. I understand why, given the extra games, we need more players and I'm happy that Rodgers will work well with them, but I'm not sure our starting XI is going to be in any way significantly stronger after this window, and that's surely a key factor in how good or bad a window is.

brokencrossbar1

I think Lovern is a very good signing,  particularly when you see what is being spent of other CBs.  I know it was daylight robbery but for PSG to pay twice for Side show Bob what we are paying for him is just plain crazy.  Obviously Toure is going and I would imagine that 1 of Skertl or Agger will go.  Coates seems to be doing really well in pre-season so maybe he will be a good option.  He was always a potential great defender but seemed a bit slow.  Experience may allow that deficiency to be understated.  If the Moreno and Manquilo deals go through then the defence is seriously well stocked. 

The owners do get the way the club needs to be run and although there have been a few bloopers by the transfer committee I think they are learning as well.  The club is certainly moving in the right direction

AZOffaly

I think we're moving in the right direction too, and I understand the need to increase the sheer numbers in the squad, but I do feel that this season may be a season of consolidation or even a small backwards step. So many new players, losing Suarez, and no real superstar coming in. It might be better to have a stronger squad long term, but I just wish we had gotten someone like Sanchez. At the back, if Moreno comes in, I think I'd be a lot happier. Or even Rojo.

laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2014, 10:52:16 AM
I think we're moving in the right direction too, and I understand the need to increase the sheer numbers in the squad, but I do feel that this season may be a season of consolidation or even a small backwards step. So many new players, losing Suarez, and no real superstar coming in. It might be better to have a stronger squad long term, but I just wish we had gotten someone like Sanchez. At the back, if Moreno comes in, I think I'd be a lot happier. Or even Rojo.

I think you are being overly negative.
Don't forget young lads like Sterling,Couthino,Flanaghan and Strurridge even have all a full season now under their belts and came within a whisker of winning the title.That has to stand to them.
Also it's a 14 man game now and alot of Liverpool's downfall last season was the talent(or lack of it) on the bench.
Aspas,Cissokho,Alberto have been replaced by the likes of Lallana,Lambert,Remy,Markovic. Throw in Suso if he stays and maybe Ibe if he gets a run in the team and our options for starting XI and options from the bench are significantly improved IMO.
I'd rather have Remy or Lambert coming on in the last few minutes with the title on the line against Chelsea than the world's greatest corner kick taker in Aspas.... 
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

manfromdelmonte

nice to see the pool competing against all these big spending clubs!

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on July 26, 2014, 11:12:14 AM

Don't forget young lads like Sterling,Couthino,Flanaghan and Strurridge even have all a full season now under their belts and came within a whisker of winning the title.That has to stand to them.
Also it's a 14 man game now and alot of Liverpool's downfall last season was the talent(or lack of it) on the bench.
Aspas,Cissokho,Alberto have been replaced by the likes of Lallana,Lambert,Remy,Markovic. Throw in Suso if he stays and maybe Ibe if he gets a run in the team and our options for starting XI and options from the bench are significantly improved IMO.
I'd rather have Remy or Lambert coming on in the last few minutes with the title on the line against Chelsea than the world's greatest corner kick taker in Aspas....

I agree our bench has improved. I think I said that above. I'm concerned that while 12 to 18 might be better now, 1 to 11 is probably worse when you take suarez into account.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2014, 04:32:06 PM

I agree our bench has improved. I think I said that above. I'm concerned that while 12 to 18 might be better now, 1 to 11 is probably worse when you take suarez into account.

1-11 though would still be enough to compete at the very top,  I think the problem has always been that 12-20 has been far too weak and too much has been expected of too few.  Now Gerard can be rested,  the younger lads can rotate without any discernible difference,  and I still think there is a final twist in the transfer tail yet.  I reckon once the 2-3 current ongoing deals are finalised there will be a 'surprise' signing.

laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 26, 2014, 04:39:40 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2014, 04:32:06 PM

1-11 though would still be enough to compete at the very top,  I think the problem has always been that 12-20 has been far too weak and too much has been expected of too few.  Now Gerard can be rested,  the younger lads can rotate without any discernible difference,  and I still think there is a final twist in the transfer tail yet.  I reckon once the 2-3 current ongoing deals are finalised there will be a 'surprise' signing.
Have you cousins ITK.?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

God14

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on July 26, 2014, 10:31:45 AM
Sorry. I guess it was EC and the boys you were looking to answer.
To all the LFC fans, whats your honest opinion on the owners?
For me John has been everything you want from an owner.

I think John Henry & FSG have been hugely impressive. I've sat on the Fench for a couple of years but I do like the way they go about their business. The motto seems to be under promise & over deliver.

Henry's handling of the Suarez - Arsenal transfer was classic. He doesn't interact on twitter much, but he fairly set the tone, which was no deal.

To be honest lads, I'd hate to be owned by a Russian or Arab billionaire the way City and Chelsea are. We're spending cash generated by our own commercial dealings. Very little debt on the club, think it's £45M which is in effect loose change.

DuffleKing

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2014, 10:28:27 AM
I'm slagging. van Gaal said United were the biggest club in England.

LVG said United were the biggest club in the world

AZOffaly

No he didn't. He said they can't be called that anymore because if last season, but he aims to get them there.

DuffleKing

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2696004/Louis-van-Gaal-says-Manchester-United-biggest-club-world.html

'I will do my utmost best but I will not give predictions. It is the biggest club in the world. When you see my career you can see what I have won,' he said