Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: mackers on January 10, 2011, 01:44:55 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 10, 2011, 01:32:21 PM
I raised this question on orchardcounty.com.  Does he deserve his shout for the county in the McKenna any more or any less than John Murtagh given the fact that neither have been playing for their respective clubs in Armagh?
I think it's a complete disgrace that John Murtagh has been called up to the panel. What is the point of lads being on this additional panel (elite/development or whatever it's called) if Murtagh can walk off a plane from NY and straight onto the panel.  See O'Rourke saying that he had been playing well in NY and they wanted to have a look at him. Utter rubbish!!
Since when did playing well in a NY championship get you on to an Armagh panel??
He was hardly a regular on the Cross team before he left. IMO he's been living off a good Ulster final performance against Mayobridge some years back for too long.
I'd have reservations about Padden too but Murtagh's inclusion smacks of uncle Donal pulling a few too many strings.

So Dyas didn't deserve a place on the panel either, after coming home from Oz? Or Big Ronan... when's the last time he's played!? Dont be silly...

mackers

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 10, 2011, 02:06:30 PM
I raised this question on orchardcounty.com.  Does he deserve his shout for the county in the McKenna any more or any less than John Murtagh given the fact that neither have been playing for their respective clubs in Armagh?
I think it's a complete disgrace that John Murtagh has been called up to the panel. What is the point of lads being on this additional panel (elite/development or whatever it's called) if Murtagh can walk off a plane from NY and straight onto the panel.  See O'Rourke saying that he had been playing well in NY and they wanted to have a look at him. Utter rubbish!!
Since when did playing well in a NY championship get you on to an Armagh panel??
He was hardly a regular on the Cross team before he left. IMO he's been living off a good Ulster final performance against Mayobridge some years back for too long.
I'd have reservations about Padden too but Murtagh's inclusion smacks of uncle Donal pulling a few too many strings.

So Dyas didn't deserve a place on the panel either, after coming home from Oz? Or Big Ronan... when's the last time he's played!? Dont be silly...
Come off it Goats, are you seriously comparing Ronan Clarke to John Murtagh? Don't think I'm the silly one. John Murtagh couldn't make it on to the county panel when he was playing for Cross for several years. All of a sudden he plays a few good matches in NY and gets straight onto the panel, and we're expected to think it's a coincidence that his uncle is one of the selectors.
Kevin Dyas was playing professional sport and unfortuneately got a horrendous injury at the tail end of it. He was a star of an Ulster winning minor team (may have captained them?) and a Hogan Cup winning team. Think his credentials are also a damned sight better than John Murtagh's.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

I wouldn't get too caught up in it at this stage, performances will either justify his inclusion or his exclusion from the squad. I've seen a lot worse players play for Armagh in the McKenna cup over the years and have thought to myself "Well if he's playing for Armagh what the hell have i done wrong"?

Judge him after a few matches...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mackers

I'd say he'll do well to get back into the Cross forward line at the minute, it'll be interesting to see what happens in London at the weekend or in the semi if they qualify.
In fairness, Donal Murtagh dropped John fairly sharpish if he was playing poorly for Cross (which he did regularly) when he was over them.

AFS

A bit of pragmatism wouldn't go amiss. Murtagh's inclusion serves a couple of purposes. Primarily, he'll get a few minutes game time under his belt before heading off to help our county champions on their AI quest; and it'll also allow O'Rourke to get a look at another option, perhaps an option fortunate to have the opportunity, but another option nonetheless. Given our paucity of genuinely naturally talented attacking options in recent years, the more boys that get a go the better as far as I'm concerned.

charlie stubbs

by all accounts he did very well v galway no mean feet.  Good point made about the development squad though,the like of tasker,mcverry,campbell, rafferty sure to be annoyed.  Murtagh has shown potential before M.O.M in ulster club final v the Bridge.  the other lads will have their chance im sure possible last chance saloon at this stage for murtagh?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on January 10, 2011, 06:31:30 PM
A bit of pragmatism wouldn't go amiss. Murtagh's inclusion serves a couple of purposes. Primarily, he'll get a few minutes game time under his belt before heading off to help our county champions on their AI quest; and it'll also allow O'Rourke to get a look at another option, perhaps an option fortunate to have the opportunity, but another option nonetheless. Given our paucity of genuinely naturally talented attacking options in recent years, the more boys that get a go the better as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really object to Murtagh being in the squad. He is an option, he's a good footballer who might be a squad option for us so on that basis I've no difficulties with him taking part in the McKenna Cup. I would, however, object if it turned out that our county squad was being used solely to assist a particular club.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The GAA

Quote from: AFS on January 10, 2011, 06:31:30 PM

Seems the county champions have told him his services won't be required.

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 10, 2011, 09:06:17 PM
I don't really object to Murtagh being in the squad. He is an option, he's a good footballer who might be a squad option for us so on that basis I've no difficulties with him taking part in the McKenna Cup. I would, however, object if it turned out that our county squad was being used solely to assist a particular club.

You're only saying that cos he's a cullyhanna man

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: mackers on January 10, 2011, 03:41:41 PM

Come off it Goats, are you seriously comparing Ronan Clarke to John Murtagh? Don't think I'm the silly one. John Murtagh couldn't make it on to the county panel when he was playing for Cross for several years. All of a sudden he plays a few good matches in NY and gets straight onto the panel, and we're expected to think it's a coincidence that his uncle is one of the selectors.
Kevin Dyas was playing professional sport and unfortuneately got a horrendous injury at the tail end of it. He was a star of an Ulster winning minor team (may have captained them?) and a Hogan Cup winning team. Think his credentials are also a damned sight better than John Murtagh's.

I just think you're being very harsh on him. I don't see the problem in having a look at him or anyone else!

illdecide

I may be wrong here but did Crossmaglen tell Murtagh that he would not be part of the squad or not be used against the London team but that if they were successful then and got into the All Ireland semi final then he could join the squad?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on January 11, 2011, 12:54:25 PM
I may be wrong here but did Crossmaglen tell Murtagh that he would not be part of the squad or not be used against the London team but that if they were successful then and got into the All Ireland semi final then he could join the squad?

No according to the IN today he will not be considered until the AI campaign is over.

illdecide

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 11, 2011, 01:04:50 PM
Quote from: illdecide on January 11, 2011, 12:54:25 PM

No according to the IN today he will not be considered until the AI campaign is over.

Aye just read it there at lunchtime. Fair play to Cross as it would have been easier to take him back into the squad but T Mac showing faith in the rest of the squad

mackers

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 11, 2011, 10:47:18 AM
Quote from: mackers on January 10, 2011, 03:41:41 PM

I just think you're being very harsh on him. I don't see the problem in having a look at him or anyone else!
Fair enough, reading my posts again it looks like a vendetta against Murtagh but the point I was trying to make was that it isn't very encouraging for lads on the edge of the squad to see him parachuted in without any great reason (other than the obvious one!).
The Cross management appear to looking at it like that also.
I argued before Christmas with winsam when he implied that some lads weren't getting a fair crack of the whip but this sort of proves his point. ;)

Goats Do Shave

I understand what you're saying... Stefan Forker will be sick!?

winsamsoon

And it will happen over and over again  and this will all add to the downfall . When a club have more principles than a county team over the inclusion of a player then something is wrong . What way do these transfer work ? What are the timescales?
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.