Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ogshead

Congratulations to Cross. I can't help but feel sorry for Dromintee. How many finals is that now? Five? I'm sure they'll be back next year anyway. Also, well done to Shane O'Neills in the minor final.

Orior

Quote from: ogshead on October 17, 2010, 11:09:47 PM
Congratulations to Cross. I can't help but feel sorry for Dromintee. How many finals is that now? Five? I'm sure they'll be back next year anyway. Also, well done to Shane O'Neills in the minor final.

Why feel sorry? Dromintee were just not good enough.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

orangeman

Quote from: Shortso79 on October 17, 2010, 08:36:33 PM

The subs were the difference between the two teams

Francie got man of the match - he only came on at half time

Kyle Carragher made a big impact also

He's been some servant to Cross.

ogshead

Quote from: Orior on October 17, 2010, 11:29:25 PM
Quote from: ogshead on October 17, 2010, 11:09:47 PM

Why feel sorry? Dromintee were just not good enough.

Well that's true but it's the heartbreaking aspect of getting beat in so many finals that I feel sorry for. Have a heart man!! ;D

thewanderer

took in the match and have to say that dromintee will never have a better chance of beating cross. unfortunately they don't have the belief to beat them when with 5 to go and elements in their favour they froze. the only consolation is that it ends home finals for cross. In relation to the minor final congrats to shane o neills but i have to say the standard of both teams was pretty poor not that shanes will worry. minor teams of cross, harps, killeavey, ogs and keady must regret they didn't put in a better effort as a title was there on the basis of yesterdays game. ps did either of yesterdays minor finalists defeat any of the above teams. think it could be the end of the road for a few dtee starlets, including aiden o rouke and e martin

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thewanderer on October 18, 2010, 09:01:58 AM
think it could be the end of the road for a few dtee starlets, including aiden o rouke and e martin

I'm sure those pair would love to be referred to as starlets ;D  True stalwarts they are and they will find it hard to pull next year.  I have great sympathy for my old friend Eddie.  AOR had the county success but Eddie has been battling on for I'd say 20 years in senior football without anything to show for it.

Anyway, well done to our lads yesterday.  I honestly thought it was Dromintee's year as I just thought the dice had fallen well for them in terms of form and suspensions.  Cross are a team for finals though and any team that has only lost one final out of 26 appearances in the last 14 years is always going to be hard to beat when pressure is on.  Hopefully they will push ST Gall's in the Ulster but it will be a big step up for what really is still a very young team.

IVEDECIDED

Congrats to cross - this team deserve credit as unlike prior cross teams many didnt fancy them. They were in fact just one of 5-6 teams that could have won it so fair play. Considering their youthfulness however im sure playing on home turf added some much appreciated familiarity on what can sometimes be a nervy occasion.

The championship however at least has a more unpredictable look about it. Yes Cross are contenders for the next few years at least but so are many other teams so at least we have our exciting championship back.

Re. Dromintee - It doesnt look as though they will win one now for a while. This might annoy some people but the reason they havent won at least 3 is their lack of history at this level. Up untill the late 90's they were a lower division club and im afraid this was the telling factor on the biggst of days. Once they lost a few - losing finals became self fullfilling for them.

If Clans or Ogs for example had the opportunities (and players in the Clans case) they would def have won several of those finals. You cannot underestimate the power of tradition - just look at how relaxed even a young cross team can be on county final day??

I like Dromintee and I like playing against them - they are a footballing side and I respect that but unfortunatley they are more like Arsenal than United, flair but no middle!

Sorry lads....

cookstownblue

Anyone got the teams and scorers from cross game?

BerfArmagh

Poor enough standard of football yesterday. Cross are a pale shadow fo the team they once were. Francies performance when introduced was wortht he trip, he was fantastic, him and the young red head won it for cross. I though Oisin had a good game also and was very quick witted to lay on the goal. Dromintee lost because outside young o rourke the had absolutely no other scoring threat. Vincie martin put in a good shift as did the other o rourkes, dyas had a decent second half scoring an excellent point. The difference was cross has fantastic movement and options going forward, whereas dromintee were far too predictable. Cross won't win ulster based on the performances i have seen this year

Wee Shea

Quote from: cookstownblue on October 18, 2010, 12:52:40 PM

P Hearty
P McKeown
P Kernan
J Morgan
A Kernan (0-1)
D O Callaghan
S Finnegan
J Hanratty
D McKenna (0-1)
M McNamee
S Kernan (0-1)
F Hanratty (1-0)
T Kernan
A Cunningham (0-1)
O McConville (0-4)

Bellew for McNamee, K Carragher (0-3) for P McKeown, M Aherne for S Finnegan, M McNamee for F Hanratty

P McEvoy
C Fegan
E Martin
M McGahon
C McGuinness
A O Rourke
B Shannon
V Martin
G O Neill (0-2)
K Fearon
Micheal O Rourke (1-4)
S O Neill
K Dyas (0-1)
Martin O Rourke (0-1)
O Gaughran

P O Hare for K Fearon, P Courtney for O Gaughran, D McKenna for ?

brokencrossbar1

Berf I think this is a very young team yet but a lot will depend on how they get on in the St Galls game.  In many respects it is set nicely for them in that there is very little expectation for them to do well but they have a great focus on for their first game, beating the AI champions in Cross.  The one thing that we like is a challenge and this is as big as they get.  Clarke will be back and the experience of Oisin and Francie will be vital but they definitely need more from the MF.  I still think they will struggle to beat St Galls but if they do that opens things up for them.  You would have to fancy whpever comes through that side of the Draw to win it outright with Burren and Coleraine in the other semi.

Goats Do Shave

How did big McKenna go yesterday?

thewanderer

poor enough i thought. once again cross lost the mid-field battle but still won the game. Mc kenna has went back from wer he was a few years ago, injuries and something else seems to have affected him. goats on ur own position i think unfortunately now that keady have swindled their saving points i think that newtown will beat them especially with a former newtown man managing them and keadys hurling final coming up.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: thewanderer on October 18, 2010, 02:11:06 PM
poor enough i thought. once again cross lost the mid-field battle but still won the game. Mc kenna has went back from wer he was a few years ago, injuries and something else seems to have affected him. goats on ur own position i think unfortunately now that keady have swindled their saving points i think that newtown will beat them especially with a former newtown man managing them and keadys hurling final coming up.

Pity - he was my "great white hope!" for Armagh's midfield!

Yeah, it's a pity Keady didn't play Newtown last week when they were due to! Got a message from a Keady man today... "you'll have plenty of local matches next year... Annaghmore, Grange, Collegeland!!" with a sickening wee smiley face at the end!

Tidy!

AFS

Quote from: Wee Shea on October 18, 2010, 01:08:35 PM
Quote from: cookstownblue on October 18, 2010, 12:52:40 PM

P Hearty
P McKeown
P Kernan
J Morgan
A Kernan (0-1)
D O Callaghan
S Finnegan
J Hanratty
D McKenna (0-1)
M McNamee
S Kernan (0-1)
F Hanratty (1-0)
T Kernan
A Cunningham (0-1)
O McConville (0-4)

Bellew for McNamee, K Carragher (0-3) for P McKeown, M Aherne for S Finnegan, M McNamee for F Hanratty

P McEvoy
C Fegan
E Martin
M McGahon
C McGuinness
A O Rourke
B Shannon
V Martin
G O Neill (0-2)
K Fearon
Micheal O Rourke (1-4)
S O Neill
K Dyas (0-1)
Martin O Rourke (0-1)
O Gaughran

P O Hare for K Fearon, P Courtney for O Gaughran, D McKenna for ?

I thought it was Cunningham that came off.