Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: AFS on October 17, 2011, 12:16:03 AM

Cross won their four championship games this year by an average of 16 points. I hope they win the AI to mollify that pretty depressing statistic at least a bit.

Lovely word!

It should also be added that Pearse Ogs - who they beat by five - are the only real challengers they met. If Pearse Ogs or Cullyhanna had met any of the other three they probably have won easy also. I would also suggest that the Intermediate champions would have beat them as well!

Throw ball

Quote from: illdecide on October 17, 2011, 12:46:22 AM
I thought the only 2 Nab players that came out of the game with a we bit of pride was the goalie and their no 7 (baldy guy "Beagen" i think his name)

You could not really judge the forwards as the ball never got up to them! Must say though that with the couple of touches he got Grugan showed he has real class. Let's hope he can prove doubters wrong and grow into a county footballer.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: illdecide on October 17, 2011, 12:46:22 AM
I thought the only 2 Nab players that came out of the game with a we bit of pride was the goalie and their no 7 (baldy guy "Beagen" i think his name)

The Harps man and the Keady man ;), ulster minor and macrory cup medals in the hip pocket, two good players, illdecide sure jimmy'its in the back of the net' smyths son will fill you in on Beagens talents im sure.

Well done to the Harps lads, im sad i couldn't make it but from all reports the pogs ran out of steam in the 2nd half and that was probably a given with their exploits this past two weeks.

Will anyone touch this cross team in the next 5 years? A cullyhana man was querying me today why can't the harps make the grade, i couldnt put an argument up, 5 out of 9 minor titles has to provide you with some kind of base. maybe a discussion for another day.

Scarface

Well what a waste of a tenner that was!! Went to game expecting a comfortable enough Cross win but hoping that Ballymacnab would do themselves justice. They didnt. Once Cross got 4 or 5-0 up the writing was totally on the wall and what unfolded next was a horror show for any neutral (which I was). Ballymacnab were totally out of their depth - fair play to them for getting to this stage but the result might hinder them in the long run rather than help. Cross were superior in every department which you might have expected but the difference in physical strength and size was most apparent out on the field. Nab were lambs to the slaughter.

Congratulations to Cross of course for their continued excellence. However this was a sad indictment of our county championship. A totally over matched team being over run leading to no atmosphere or excitement at match at all. It was dead. The fact that Nab had earlier defeated Clanns (one of the most successful teams ever in Armagh football) by 20 odd points and the fact that Cross had defeated Harps (one of the most successful teams ever in Armagh football) by around the same margin in an earlier round shows where our county championship is at.

Fair play to Cross but the rest need to seriously look at themselves.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maroon1 on October 14, 2011, 11:08:00 AM
Ogshead do i detect a wee bit of jealousy on your behalf there, maybe the fact the the we are in the final and not u,  the fact that the 'wee' country team up the road who u used to beat time and time again at underage level and laugh at are now in fact better than u, would i be right in saying that?

Ok u won a final a few years ago, whoppy do, about time given the pick that u have but unforntunately for u it will be a long time before u win another...so hold onto your memories my good friend, 2009 has been and gone, probably be another 17years plus looking at your curent crop!!;-) ;-)

What memories will you be holding onto from yesterday? You may well need counselling! Anyway given the stick you have dished out it is no wonder you've gone to ground!

Orchardman

I know it has been said about cross having an easy run to win it, but that's not really true. The nab were on the easy side of the draw, though i did think granemore would definately beat, so credit to the nab for that.

On the other hand cullyhana, whitecross, and pearse og battled with each other, and cross defeated the ogs. Don't even mention dromintee, their not contenders any more. Cullyhana looked good last year, but og's took care of them without too much bother. Bad times in the club scene!
Credit to cross though, go on and win ulster lads.

shawshank

Is club football that poor in armagh lads? I can't think of county in Ulster where a team took such a hammering. What is going on with club football in Armagh? Other then Cross of course, why can they produce three teams and others who have tradition produce none?

emainmacha

Farrandeelin

Just want to add my congrats to Crossmaglen. Since ye beat us in the 1997 AI Club final, ye have dominated Armagh club football. While we only won the 1997 Mayo club championship. Any tips from the Crossmaglen lads as to how ye keep doing it? ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

fitzroyalty

People are questioning the standard of the Armagh SFC and then in the same breath predicting Cross to go the whole way. Every year.

They're always among the favourites for the All Ireland, maybe they are just an unreal team? They are essentially a county-standard club side!

Is the standard bad in Ulster/nationwide if Cross win another Ulster/AI this year or will it still only be Armagh  ???

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 17, 2011, 07:31:39 PM
People are questioning the standard of the Armagh SFC and then in the same breath predicting Cross to go the whole way. Every year.

They're always among the favourites for the All Ireland, maybe they are just an unreal team? They are essentially a county-standard club side!

Is the standard bad in Ulster/nationwide if Cross win another Ulster/AI this year or will it still only be Armagh  ???

This stat tells a big tale.  Since 1995 in championship football P 124 W 103 D 11 L 10, that's a 15 year old win ratio of 83% country wide.  Obviously Armagh is nearly 100% but it is a frightening figure.  There is no magic to it either, simply we love winning and the level of committment in Cross is rarely matched.  Eat, live, breath football.

fitzroyalty

Think some of yous should relocate to Francis St  :'(

ogshead

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 17, 2011, 10:39:46 AM
Quote from: Maroon1 on October 14, 2011, 11:08:00 AM
Ogshead do i detect a wee bit of jealousy on your behalf there, maybe the fact the the we are in the final and not u,  the fact that the 'wee' country team up the road who u used to beat time and time again at underage level and laugh at are now in fact better than u, would i be right in saying that?

Ok u won a final a few years ago, whoppy do, about time given the pick that u have but unforntunately for u it will be a long time before u win another...so hold onto your memories my good friend, 2009 has been and gone, probably be another 17years plus looking at your curent crop!!;-) ;-)

What memories will you be holding onto from yesterday? You may well need counselling! Anyway given the stick you have dished out it is no wonder you've gone to ground!

He may not be posting but he has been reading the comments... He was online earlier today

The Iceman

Can the success of the Cross football team in some way be attributed to the Political situation in the North and the location of Barracks right in the middle of the village?
Along the same lines of how the Catholic Church had a roaring trade when it was dangerous to be a Catholic? GAA became part of an Irish identity to be flaunted in the face of the British on your doorstep maybe?
I wonder will things change as today's younger kids come up through under age and aren't affected by the same pressures???

Not taking anything away from the team or the town, just pondering the reasons why.......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight