Muineachán V Ard Mhaca USFC

Started by Main Street, May 16, 2010, 06:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on June 08, 2010, 08:54:04 PM
Mick McGurn has even said himself that Gaelic Football is about speed. He isnt bulking the team up in any way he wants to make them faster. Obviously to an extent strength is needed.
Who cares what is being said ... look at the results!
Talk is cheap.

Rings were run around the team, with many looking blatantly pedestrian.

The Konica

Spoke to a panelist yesterday...

He said Training was great in pre-season and the winter.

But since then McGurn didn't know much about gaelic football at all and there was too far much emphasis on physical training, wrestling, physical drills, tackle bags and not enough running, skill work or football based stuff for championship football.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Logan on June 08, 2010, 10:51:19 PM
Mick McGurn has even said himself that Gaelic Football is about speed. He isnt bulking the team up in any way he wants to make them faster. Obviously to an extent strength is needed.
Talk is cheap.

I was making two points with that statement Logan. First being that the aim of this team in not to bulk up [as some on here suggest] so perhaps the wrong selections are being made because that is what is happening. Numer 2, management in my opinion arent up to it, even if it is only 2 games in.

Logan

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on June 08, 2010, 11:10:02 PM
Talk is cheap.

I was making two points with that statement Logan. First being that the aim if this team in not to bulk up so perhaps the wrong selections are being made because that is what is happening. Numer 2, management in my opinion arent up to it, even if it is only 2 games in.

I don't honestly know what the workings are but the game has moved on to a more mobile game and Armagh haven't moved.

I think there are serious questions over management indeed, but I think the selectors must have some questions to answer... can't they see what the opposition see and plan to counter it?

(One question by the way I'd had before the game (and the Derry game) is why is Enda McNulty back on the panel? I'd love someone to give me the honest answer for that ... and if someone mentions psychology I'll laugh ... )

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Logan on June 08, 2010, 11:15:35 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on June 08, 2010, 11:10:02 PM
Talk is cheap.

I was making two points with that statement Logan. First being that the aim if this team in not to bulk up so perhaps the wrong selections are being made because that is what is happening. Numer 2, management in my opinion arent up to it, even if it is only 2 games in.

I don't honestly know what the workings are but the game has moved on to a more mobile game and Armagh haven't moved.

I think there are serious questions over management indeed, but I think the selectors must have some questions to answer... can't they see what the opposition see and plan to counter it?

(One question by the way I'd had before the game (and the Derry game) is why is Enda McNulty back on the panel? I'd love someone to give me the honest answer for that ... and if someone mentions psychology I'll laugh ... )

After Sundays performance they fuckin need some sort of Psychological boost. Even if that was the case - he isnt getting a game and isnt giving any sort of psychological advantage anyway.

Logan

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on June 08, 2010, 11:21:19 PM
After Sundays performance they fuckin need some sort of Psychological boost. Even if that was the case - he isnt getting a game and isnt giving any sort of psychological advantage anyway.

The supporters need one too!

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Logan on June 08, 2010, 11:26:10 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on June 08, 2010, 11:21:19 PM

The supporters need one too!

I think ill be fuming over this one for a while. Unless we have a good run in the qualifiers.

rionach 4

The Armagh team on Sunday had two All-Ireland  senior Medalists  8 all Ireland u-21s winners  3 ulster u-21 winners  at least four Ulster minor winners.   It is any wonder we had  good expectations. Despite this the boittom line is we are short two players (at least )  If we could get by the next two rounds of qualifiers and get Ronan in at centre half forward move Aaron to the wing  and yes I liked the style of Dyas on Sunday. (I def did see something there )  Give Vinnie and Malachy their P45's. we could still yet make a season out of it. If Monaghan put another soliid performance in against Fermanagh or Cavan then we can then start putting a few pound on them for Ulster. I think though the best way for Monaghan to progress now would be to just scrape unconvincinly by these two and go all guns blazing for the final. Good luck to them I for one will be cheering for them.

winsamsoon

QuotePerhaps you were not in attendance a few years ago in the Championship when he broke from half-back to score a last minute goal for Dromintee against Clans in the championship to rescue the tie and secure a replay. Or maybe you missed said replay when, in almost identical fashion, he rifled it into the net after coming the length of the field again from half-back, this time handing Dromintee a last minute one point lead and dumping Clans out of the championship.

Failing that is it possible you also missed him captain an Ulster winning minor side who were unlucky not to go further, or in the same year maybe you didn't see any of the MacRory Cup or Hogan Cup finals that he played a huge part in winning for the Abbey

Sam i was actually playing on the both occassions you speak about and i have to say you have it spot on. But are you saying Dyas should be on the current county panel because of two goals he scored five years ago in a club championship??????

I would think that players should be selected based on more up to date performances. From Dyas at club level i haven't seen them. Again i must emphasis that i think the lad has potential but i would just like to see him show it a little more at club level. Some posters on here would have you think he is a legend. To my this opinion is based solely on the fact that he was good enough to make the cut to go to Australia coupled with media hype.  I am only going on what i have seen of him at club level and reports that i have heard of him.Prior to him going to Australia the lad had the makings of an exceptional talent. I haven't seen anything from him that has been stand out since he has returned. This is not the same as saying he isn't good enough.

Bottom line what he did against the clans five years ago (one of which was lifted off the ground by O'Rourke for an assist ) Means nothing when selecting a current county team
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Main Street

Winsamsoon, I take it that you are a Clansman.
A Dromintee man would not remember the lift with such clarity.

Sam of the Sarsfields

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 09, 2010, 11:51:17 AM
QuotePerhaps you were not in attendance a few years ago in the Championship when he broke from half-back to score a last minute goal for Dromintee against Clans in the championship to rescue the tie and secure a replay. Or maybe you missed said replay when, in almost identical fashion, he rifled it into the net after coming the length of the field again from half-back, this time handing Dromintee a last minute one point lead and dumping Clans out of the championship.

Failing that is it possible you also missed him captain an Ulster winning minor side who were unlucky not to go further, or in the same year maybe you didn't see any of the MacRory Cup or Hogan Cup finals that he played a huge part in winning for the Abbey

Sam i was actually playing on the both occassions you speak about and i have to say you have it spot on. But are you saying Dyas should be on the current county panel because of two goals he scored five years ago in a club championship??????

I would think that players should be selected based on more up to date performances. From Dyas at club level i haven't seen them. Again i must emphasis that i think the lad has potential but i would just like to see him show it a little more at club level. Some posters on here would have you think he is a legend. To my this opinion is based solely on the fact that he was good enough to make the cut to go to Australia coupled with media hype.  I am only going on what i have seen of him at club level and reports that i have heard of him.Prior to him going to Australia the lad had the makings of an exceptional talent. I haven't seen anything from him that has been stand out since he has returned. This is not the same as saying he isn't good enough.

Bottom line what he did against the clans five years ago (one of which was lifted off the ground by O'Rourke for an assist ) Means nothing when selecting a current county team

How many times have you seen him play for his club this year? A Dromintee friend of mine tells me, due to his county committments and injury, he has only played one and a half league games this year, I doubt you were at either.

I agree with what your saying in principle. Of course a player needs to prove himself for his club before making the county but exceptions can always be made in exceptional circumstances for exceptional talent. Before he went to Australia he was proving himself to be an exceptional talent and I'm sure he was even pushing for a county call-up at that stage. He then spent 2 years as a professional sports athlete before returning home for this season.

Now if he was performing and acheiving before he left - like I illustrated in my previous post - two years training at the highest standard was bound to bring him on as an athlete leaps and bounds. Granted, it was a different sport but it would not take long to get rid of any rustiness and pick up the skills again as we've seen with other similar players. Surely it would have been madness to keep this man out of the county set-up for any length of time having come straight from a professional sports background?

He suffered a very bad injury while in Australia and to my mind he has just not fully recovered yet and has a bit to go before he can rediscover his form. This is why you have not seen the full extent of his talent so far but give him time. I have no doubt he will prove himself to be one of Armagh's best players in years to come.

mackers

Down didn't say to Martin Clarke to go and prove himself with An Riocht before breaking back into their team. In the same way, Armagh have no need for Dyas to do that for us. Winsam, you are completely ignoring a hell of a serious injury the lad has and IMO that's the only reason why he hasn't made it onto the first 15. The management team have more info on the lad's condition that any of us have and it looks like they're going to use him when possible until he's fully fit.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

mrgaa1

lets forget about Ronan Clarke.  His foot is in plaster and if the lad plays football again he'll be doing very well.  We have to concentrate on what we have and as mentioned by a previous poster we have team full of winners.  Last Sunday has passed - leave it there.  Lets support this team and its management.  Remember  we won Div 2 league Final a short while ago (in previous years we were waiting for last game to stay up) and some times teams have a bad day.  Armagh had it in ambundance.  So Saturday June 26th Armagh will play another team and we should ALL be there supporting

winsamsoon

Yes main i am a clansman

on the issue of Dyas i am going to make this my last post as i don't want to come across as slating the lad.

My original point of this debate centred on the fact that there are 7-8 players in Armagh that would do a better job than some of the lads on the current panel. There are footballers in Armagh that have footballing talent but are not neccessarily big men and they are being overlooked because they don't fit into the Armagh machine that has existed in the last decade.

I am a firm believer that players must prove themselves, they shouldn't be selected on name, reputation or events that have occured maybe 5 or 6 years ago. There have been players on the Armagh squad that have been brought in on these pretences. If i were running a county team i would select the players who are performing at present irregardless of size or any other factor. Players should have to prove themselves and if they are doing a job for theri club they should get a chance at county level.

Part of the problem within Armagh is that the county players don't get enough club football. There are teams that are going without county players for two to three week stretches and this is unacceptable. Other counties are having county players playing for their clubs 4 or 5 nights prior to championship games. Sure you run the risk of injury but that is the chance you take. At the same time all players are getting proper game time and the overall standard is increasing. I stick by my criticism of the selection processes in Armagh.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Sam of the Sarsfields

Quote from: winsamsoon on June 09, 2010, 02:06:31 PM
Yes main i am a clansman

on the issue of Dyas i am going to make this my last post as i don't want to come across as slating the lad.

My original point of this debate centred on the fact that there are 7-8 players in Armagh that would do a better job than some of the lads on the current panel. There are footballers in Armagh that have footballing talent but are not neccessarily big men and they are being overlooked because they don't fit into the Armagh machine that has existed in the last decade.

I am a firm believer that players must prove themselves, they shouldn't be selected on name, reputation or events that have occured maybe 5 or 6 years ago. There have been players on the Armagh squad that have been brought in on these pretences. If i were running a county team i would select the players who are performing at present irregardless of size or any other factor. Players should have to prove themselves and if they are doing a job for theri club they should get a chance at county level.

Part of the problem within Armagh is that the county players don't get enough club football. There are teams that are going without county players for two to three week stretches and this is unacceptable. Other counties are having county players playing for their clubs 4 or 5 nights prior to championship games. Sure you run the risk of injury but that is the chance you take. At the same time all players are getting proper game time and the overall standard is increasing. I stick by my criticism of the selection processes in Armagh.

I've been informed that Dyas actually was on the panel and made his championship debut against Derry in 2007 before he went to Australia.

You make many sweeping statements about the standard of the current Armagh squad. Care to back up your argument with specifics?

Who are the 7-8 players in the county that should be on the panel? And who are the current Armagh squad members who are not there on merit that should be replaced?