AFL Invasion

Started by AbbeySider, February 13, 2008, 11:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: thebandit on February 13, 2008, 05:12:15 PM
They have taken the 2 best prospective playmakers in Gaelic Football - Clarke (Down) and Hanley (Ros  8)), they seem to have a type of player that they go for, i.e. they dont go for the full-forward/corner-foward types

What are you basing that on?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

irunthev

zoyler

Thanks for the link - He does not appear to be someone you would want to deal with or hjave your son reprersented by!

Aerlik

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on February 13, 2008, 11:47:46 AM
Why on earth would they need scouts in All 32 counties?  I could do the Kilkenny scouts job from home.

And I'll do the Antrim job - from over here. :D :D :D
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

tyrone86

Are the AFL and Aussie Rules any bigger a threat to the Association than emigration was in terms of the loss of players before the Celtic Tiger? Indeed, what is likely to be the more pressing issue over the next few years - the AFL and Aussie Rules or the fact that more and more young people are travelling Down Under for the year long holiday and staying much more if they can get a visa?

J70

The AFL should be free to scout anyone they want to. What gives anyone else the right to stand in the way of a young fella making an attempt at a career in professional sports if he and his family think it's worth a go?

BallyhaiseMan

Its simple lads.

if we go professional and pay the players, we wont have this problem.

(Joke) :-X before anyone takes my head off.

Son_of_Sam

Ya we will, coz they will pay more, and Hanley a MAYOMAN NOT A SHEAPSTEALER.

Hardy

J70 - where did anyone suggest "standing in the way" of young fellas. I don't think any sensible person thinks that's a viable or even a possible approach. But the GAA must address the problem. It's fine on a personal level for all of us to be happy that the lads involved get to pursue their ambitions. But that's not a reasonable basis for a GAA policy that will ensure our very best players are not lost to AFL on a systematic basis. I don't think our administrators would be doing their job of preserving the interests of the GAA if their only response to the drain of the very cream of our talent was "sure isn't it great to see the lads doing well in Australia".

DandyMan

The AFL has every right to seek out players with the potential talent to make it in Oz. What does the GAA offer any young lad with talent? Zilch.

Zulu

QuoteWhat does the GAA offer any young lad with talent? Zilch.

Only if your measure reward in monetary terms. But if like me you consider the joy the GAA adds to your life as reward then the GAA offers much more than 'zilich'.

Gnevin

I love how the AFL taking 3/4 players are year is shocking yet lose more players to

xbox
soccer
rubgy
drugs
drink
speeding

every year
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

clarshack

the gaa dont own any players. in fact most gaa players are unfortunately used, abused and then discarded. if any young players want to make it in australia then good luck to them.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on February 14, 2008, 01:21:36 PM
QuoteWhat does the GAA offer any young lad with talent? Zilch.

Only if your measure reward in monetary terms. But if like me you consider the joy the GAA adds to your life as reward then the GAA offers much more than 'zilich'.

Well said.

Tell that to your buddies in Cork ;D