Drug testing in the GAA may be introduced to clubs

Started by imtommygunn, November 29, 2022, 11:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbat

Never seen it happen on a site in Dublin, it was every two months when I work in London. Every time we raise it with the company we are told the unions will block us if we try to go down that road.

Armagh18

Quote from: pbat on November 29, 2022, 03:12:07 PM
Never seen it happen on a site in Dublin, it was every two months when I work in London. Every time we raise it with the company we are told the unions will block us if we try to go down that road.
Know for a fact it happens on some sites because know of lads who got the road for positive tests.

clarshack

Quote from: Eire90 on November 29, 2022, 02:46:30 PM
is taking a drug that makes your heart beat faster and can  cause heart problems not dangerous to be going training the morning after would it not be better to wait a few days if you have to do it.

that's what i would have thought as well plus you don't know what it's been cut with.

at least with alcohol you know what you are getting.

harryR

To be fair, for me locally it's the GAA lads are the few that wouldn't touch the Cocaine etc..well a couple probably have tried it etc but the majority would be dead against it

toby47

Jeez I know it's becoming very popular in society but 50-70% of 18-30 year old's is surely far too high? No way is 1 in every 1 people regularly using cocaine?

What would coke cost ye for a night? I've heard the line 'it's far cheaper than alcohol' over & over again, but never heard a figure mentioned?

Armagh18

Quote from: harryR on November 29, 2022, 03:42:33 PM
To be fair, for me locally it's the GAA lads are the few that wouldn't touch the Cocaine etc..well a couple probably have tried it etc but the majority would be dead against it
Yeah same with me. A lot of clubs would have plenty of lads fond of it though.

The gaa is an amateur sport, that people play for free, and you want to introduce testing for recreational drugs and then I assume ban players if they test positive and have everyone know that they take them. Few of you boys would need to get a life.

Truth hurts

Don't be kidding yourselves me, cocaine is in every GAA club in Ireland, being used in GAA Club bars  too. This is Ireland 2020s unfortunately.

Armagh18

Quote from: 03,05,08 on November 29, 2022, 04:35:15 PM
The gaa is an amateur sport, that people play for free, and you want to introduce testing for recreational drugs and then I assume ban players if they test positive and have everyone know that they take them. Few of you boys would need to get a life.
Don't take them then? Anyway I think the initial article was more focused on steroids/ped's.

general_lee

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 01:49:21 PM
Quote from: befair on November 29, 2022, 01:45:20 PM
Alcohol is a much bigger problem than cocaine will ever be
completely disagree. Alcohol will do you little or no harm in moderation.
So will coke.

Eire90

Eire90

Most people that take coke take it with alcohol  some do it so they dont get too drunk and can drink all night

Eire90

hypothetical what if some lad or lass  got spike

Wildweasel74

Gaa can't enforce drug testing for a amateur organisation with no paid. Even at county level I found it strange they signed up for the Irish drug testing programme to allow gaa players to get funding. What you do for the power lifter smoked to the gills who plays football at the weekend for the. Craic. I love to do a drugs test in my gym to see what the hell half them are on, put a well built Gaelic footballer or rubgy player to shame. Any young lad I talking to who filled out very noticed over the year, all are on creatine at the mininium, baacs, protein power. The big conditioned lads who bench over 180kg, Squat 260+ and deadlift 280+, all well beyond 90% of Gaelic footballers are capable of.

befair

Quote from: general_lee on November 29, 2022, 05:10:03 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2022, 01:49:21 PM
Quote from: befair on November 29, 2022, 01:45:20 PM
Alcohol is a much bigger problem than cocaine will ever be
completely disagree. Alcohol will do you little or no harm in moderation.
So will coke.
Visit any casualty dept on a w/e night; for eevry drug problem there will be 100 alcohol problems. It's reckoned that 1 in 6 people in Ireland is miserable because of alcohol, either a problem themselves or someone close to them