Tour de France 2009

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2009, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPORTS&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=70&ev_type_id=10106&ev_oc_grp_ids=64377&bir_index=

Tour de France - Contador should outshine Lance

Eurosport - Mon, 29 Jun 10:20:00 2009

Lance Armstrong's return to the race he dominated for seven years should not stop team-mate Alberto Contador from stamping his authority on a Tour de France more scrutinised than ever before.

Spaniard Contador, winner in 2007, will lead the Astana team but with deluxe domestiques like Armstrong and Tour podium finishers Levi Leipheimer and Andreas Kloeden, his margin for error is extremely slim.

The Armstrong v Contador rivalry is reminiscent of that between Bernard Hinault and American Greg LeMond, who won the 1986 race despite repeated attacks from his French team-mate.

Although Astana manager Johan Bruyneel made clear Contador would be the leader and Armstrong his lieutenant, the seven-times champion is likely to try his luck early in the race to turn the hierarchy upside down.

"I would love to be a little mouse and see how it goes within Astana," Tour director Christian Prudhomme told Reuters.

"Contador will have only a week, and actually two stages, to show he is the boss in his own team."

The opening 15.5km time trial in Monaco on Saturday should give an indication of the favourites' form on a course tailor-made for climber Contador with its 7.5km ascent to the Cote de Beausoleil in the first part.

Contador, one of only five riders with victories in all three Grand Tours, is also expected to make a move in the seventh stage which finishes with an out-of-category climb to Arcalis.

Should he still be in contention at that time, Armstrong, back on the bike after three and a half years in retirement, is convinced he can cause an upset.

"I feel strong, I feel strong enough to win," he told French radio Europe 1. "It will be close - three to one."

But Contador has shown he has no rival when the slopes get really steep and he has dramatically improved against the clock as he proved by winning the Spanish time trial title last week.

The ascent in the penultimate stage to the Mont Ventoux, where Armstrong has often struggled, will be his last master card.

"I'm a much stronger rider all round," the 26-year-old told Reuters.

Contador will also have rivals outside his team.

There is Silence-Lotto's Australian Cadel Evans, runner-up the past two years, although the main threat is likely to come from Saxo Bank and the Schleck brothers, Andy and Frank, who have a very strong team at their disposal.

Champion Carlos Sastre, who left Saxo Bank for Cervelo, cannot be counted out, having shown great form in the Giro, where he snatched two mountain stages.

Giro champion Denis Menchov of Russia will be another contender although Marco Pantani in 1998 was the last man to clinch a Giro/Tour double.

Contador, however, will not have to deal with compatriot Alejandro Valverde, who has been left out of the Caisse d'Epargne team over his alleged involvement in a blood doping scandal in 2006.

Anti-doping authorities have warned they will be merciless after the last three Tour editions were tainted by drugs scandals.

"The Tour de France will be the most tested event in the history of sports," said International Cycling Union head Pat McQuaid.

The UCI and the French Anti-Doping Agency will work together to carry out more than 500 tests throughout the race.

Fifty of the 180 riders will be tested more because they are either top contenders or their biological passport data has raised suspicions in the UCI, McQuaid said earlier this month.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

2 Irish riders:

Daniel Martin (nephew of Stephen Roche)
Nicolas Roche (son of Stephen Roche)

Irenses

Great to see some Irish interest after so many years. But I think the odds say it all, its Contador's to lose. Just hope the extra testing proves it to be a clean race, the sport can do without more high profile doping cases.

Declan

Not even the slightest but interested in the feak show - Great interview with Greg Lemond in last weeks Times http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0627/1224249651626.html - even he sees it a s a lost cause

ONeill

LeMond seems to fall out with everybody and everything he comes into contact with. I think he resented Armstrong's success.

rrhf

Theres an edginess and an irishness to this years tour which hasnt existed for a while, has me interested.  Come on the roche family. 

ONeill

I think there's something about the Roche lad declaring for France. Not sure about that though.

Tony Baloney

Cue the annual Lance Armstrong is/isn't a dope fiend.

fer fox ache

Always loved the tour, Roche's pursuit of Delgado into La Plagne in 87 is one of the great moments in Irish sport

Doogie Browser

I loved Le Tour too, was always great watching the highlights on Channel 4, Phil Ligget is one of the best sports commentators EVER.

ziggysego

Never really watched the Tour de France, as I'm not a cyclist myself. Can't help but admire the competitors.

In the early 90s, 94 I think, I was over in Lourdes. The Tour de France came to Lourdes whilst I was there. An amazing site to see them all coming in. Funnily enough, a lot of them were staying at the same hotel I was at. Was great seeing them and their bikes up close.
Testing Accessibility

Billys Boots

Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2009, 09:03:08 AM
I think there's something about the Roche lad declaring for France. Not sure about that though.

His mother's French.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 02, 2009, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2009, 09:03:08 AM

His mother's French.

Ah, the lovely Lydia!

I'm looking forward to see how Armstrong does. I think a top ten finish would be incredible.

gallsman

If Armstrong wins it will just confirm what we already know- every single one of them is on drugs.

heganboy

Quote from: gallsman on July 02, 2009, 02:29:47 PM
If Armstrong wins it will just confirm what we already know- every single one of them is on drugs.

really- how will it prove that?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity