The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 31, 2016, 01:08:22 PM
Most commentators are on Benteke back as well. His over all game is so poor at the moment, that it's just not about his lack of scoring goals. As bad a panic buy as Mario.

Ballotelli was absolutely a panic buy.

However, they were courting Benteke for months and signed him in July.

The Stallion

I'm a wee bit surprised so few people have realised Klopp isn't up to the job yet. Seems to escape a lot of criticism due to his personality.

supersub

Quote from: The Stallion on January 31, 2016, 09:51:24 PM
I'm a wee bit surprised so few people have realised Klopp isn't up to the job yet. Seems to escape a lot of criticism due to his personality.

You must have seen into the future? How can you possibly judge that. Sky Sports sensationalism stuff!

J70

Yeah, you've said that already on the thread.

How the hell can you draw that conclusion after three months, with what is obviously a horribly unbalanced squad, missing three of his four strikers, and a fourth striker who cost a fortune but who is hopelessly ill-suited for the type of players and play around him?

Weren't you the lad telling us a while back that Michael Murphy isn't much of a forward?

blewuporstuffed

Deadline day today.
Hard to see Liverpool bringing anyone in to be honest. A deal for Tiexira looks unlikely at this stage of things.
Maybe one form left field.  :-\
It would me nice to see someone come in to strengthen the squad.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Stallion

Quote from: J70 on February 01, 2016, 01:44:56 AM

Yeah, you've said that already on the thread.

How the hell can you draw that conclusion after three months, with what is obviously a horribly unbalanced squad, missing three of his four strikers, and a fourth striker who cost a fortune but who is hopelessly ill-suited for the type of players and play around him?

Weren't you the lad telling us a while back that Michael Murphy isn't much of a forward?

A few things which point to the fact he hasn't a clue:

1. Giving Mignolet a new contract
2. Choosing to let Lucas on a football pitch
3. Celebrating a draw like it was a Cup final
4. Buying the awful Caulker and playing him as a striker repeatedly
5. Thinking it's a good idea to play Milner, Lucas and Henderson in a winnable game at home.

A decent manager would have Liverpool a lot closer to fourth, even with the dross in the squad.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2016, 09:08:45 AM
We should sack him.
Definitely, maybe Liverpool  could approach The Stallion if he is free?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2016, 09:08:45 AM
We should sack him.

Sacking is too good for him. He's been found out in the premier league. This is not that poxy German league where you only have to beat minnows like Bayern Munich.

The Stallion

I agree he should be sacked. Tactics, performances and transfer/contract activity to date have been generally awful.

However I'm not available to replace him. Thanks for thinking of me though.

blewuporstuffed

Liverpool press conference on at the minute
from the bbc:

"No sign of any new players at Liverpool but boss Jurgen Klopp has provided some good news in his news conference just now - striker Daniel Sturridge is set to return to full training next week."

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 01, 2016, 02:14:44 PM
Liverpool press conference on at the minute
from the bbc:

"No sign of any new players at Liverpool but boss Jurgen Klopp has provided some good news in his news conference just now - striker Daniel Sturridge is set to return to full training next week."

How is that good news?

heganboy

ter Stegen would have been nice, I'm not a fan of our current goalie options. I don't like the idea of any of the ex MUFC guys. Don't see any of the other names as likely, though Cahill would have been a decent fit. I get the feeling that it's going to be a blank window and then a big push in the summer. Matip has signed new terms- so he's going to be expensive. Teixiera seems to be silly money at this point.

I think by not going crazy in this window, Klopp has actually positioned himself as a players manager, someone who will work with and develop players.

Man CIty's stroke of genius announcing today has precluded top names from taking a last minute bid to the PL or even any of the other global clubs. I imagine that has had an impact on MU and Chelsea targets in the PL and other big Italian, German and Spanish (and Catalan and Basque) clubs.

I think the progression of the so called mid table teams this year will ensure the biggest summer transfer window ever. The big clubs will have to bring in brand name players to make the impact that they need in the global marketing arena.  Liverpool in particular, Gerrard was a global name in the sport, and realistically Coutinho who didn't make the last Brazil squad in the next best thing. Klopp is the brand name, and is recognized as one of the top 4 managers in the world, he will draw the players.

However Pep will draw players, and has virtually an unlimited budget so have Barca and Real. This takes MCFC with those two to the pinnacle of global clubs, and really puts them as the most attractive club in the PL.  That means that Liverpool need to break the bank for 2/3 key players to build a platform that will allow Klopp to make an impact next year (CL qualification), but more realistically challenge for the league 2017/18.

In order to do that, those 2/3 key players and Klopp need to be as attractive as possible for the global audience for funding the club, and for key players brand and personal image rights to attract them to a world recognized team (not just a club). No easy task...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

thewobbler

All very sensible Heganboy.

But if anything approaching a world class "brand" player is willing to come to the EPL, then his agent is going to knock on Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal first. And I'm genuinely not trolling when I say that there is nothing that Liverpool can offer him that can't be improved by those other sides. That's just a footballing fact in 2016. Guarantees of money and / or success are significantly better elsewhere.

So I don't honestly think that buying a brand is even an option for Liverpool in the next 2-3 years. They've got to find another Suarez, Alonso and Hyppia, then piggyback on what they bring. Which I do believe is what the transfer committee have spent 3 years trying to do, but haven't managed it.

heganboy

Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2016, 05:43:42 PM
But if anything approaching a world class "brand" player is willing to come to the EPL, then his agent is going to knock on Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal first.

Agreed on that- however if LFC make the right bid there for that calibre of player- for those 2/3 then the game changes with Klopp.

Not sure that Arsenal or United currently have that wow factor any more than marginally ahead of Liverpool, and Chelsea is a wait and see model too. MCFC have just made a massive move...

edit- and the just announced 150M quid available.
also see Cheryshev went to Valencia- great move by Neville- he would have been a great acquisition for most PL teams- not Liverpool though
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity