The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2016, 10:40:12 PM
That was some shite in fairness but at least they improved as the 90 minutes went on. The first half was poor beyond words.

Great to get to an auld final but there is so much work to be done. Lallana is a busted flush. Moreno is losing the run of himself. Can is erratic, Henderson poor tonight, although he has been good recently. Lucas can't be a main man, he's too brainless at times.

No shortcuts I'm afraid, just hard work. This summer coming Klopp is really going to earn his corn.

How much will money Klopp actually get to spend?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 26, 2016, 11:09:47 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2016, 10:40:12 PM
That was some shite in fairness but at least they improved as the 90 minutes went on. The first half was poor beyond words.

Great to get to an auld final but there is so much work to be done. Lallana is a busted flush. Moreno is losing the run of himself. Can is erratic, Henderson poor tonight, although he has been good recently. Lucas can't be a main man, he's too brainless at times.

No shortcuts I'm afraid, just hard work. This summer coming Klopp is really going to earn his corn.

How much will money Klopp actually get to spend?

Money to spend is one thing. Attracting players is another. With another year without Champions League football, Living in the cold North west of the country and a sh1te squad there already, there wont be much attraction to head to Anfield.

Hound

Quote from: heganboy on January 26, 2016, 10:50:26 PM
Klopp fairly red out Moreno.

Pretty much what we were all thinking. Klopp has all the ammunition he needs to clean house in the summer, and probably a fair bit of damage in the coming week if FSG care about what happens the rest of the season.

Liverpool through was about the most positive thing that could be said about that.

That Moreno incident was gas. It was caught clearly on camera but the commentators didnt pay it much attention. Off the ball, Walters blindsided him with a shoulder that knocked him to the ground. Moreno had serious red mist for about 30 seconds and was liable to have done anything. Then Klopp got the red mist!

Benteke wasn't useless, which was a great surprise. First time that's happened in a while and took his pen lovely, so that should get him a start v the Hammers.

Midfield was poor. That's two bad games in a row for Can. I suppose you can expect that from a 22 year old. And at least he never hides and constantly demands the ball and looks to be positive. The part he played in our last 2 goals v Norwich, despite his overall poor performance showed what he's made of.

I completely dispute the assertion that Henderson has been playing well. IMO, our most over-rated player. Took his goal v Norwich well, but has been very sloppy with his passes and in particular has an almost metronomic ability to find the opposition keeper when playing the ball into the box.

Sahko was much improved yesterday versus his awful display v Norwich.
I thought Flanagan was going to be a liability. But given his clear lack of match fitness, I thought he put in a very competent performance. Would have been some fairytale return if he'd been able to take that half chance that fell his way late on.

AZOffaly

I thought he was one of the bright spots against United Hound. He's not complete by any means, but he has energy, and he is developing his passing. He's fairly adept at spreading the play left and right. I have good time for him. Against Norwich it was more than just the goal, he was pulling the strings whenever Liverpool were going well until he went off.

blewuporstuffed

A few things from last night

1. Its clear Liverpool need a new left back. Moreno simply isn't going to do. Far to rash and has no positional sense whatsoever. He may be fine a s the back up full back, but that would be it.

2.He may be un-gamely looking, but Sakho has the makings of  a very good defender if he could have a solid consistent player along side him. Just a no nonsense defender (like a carragher) and I think they could form a solid pairing.

3. Lucas has been very good this season under Klopp. The complete opposite to Moreno, in that he does his job and rarely gets caught out of position. Still has a habit of giving a way cheap fouls, but has been one of the better performers this season.

4. Can has been a  bit erratic of late, and was again last night, but you still feel there is a top class midfielder in there somewhere. Easy to forget he is only 21/22.

5. Great to have Flanagan back. The sort of no nonsense, defending first type player the defence have been missing this season.
Looked a bit rusty at times , but a decent performance for someone who has been out almost 2 years.

6. Firmino continues to blow hot and cold. Never really got into it last night. You would hope he is just one of those players that takes a while (maybe even a whole season) to settle in the PL before kicking on to show his real potential.

7.Lalana just isn't up to the level. loads of nice touches, but little to no end product.
He is a £25m attacking midfielder, he needs to be contributing more goals and assists than he has.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Agree with most of that except Lucas. I think he is just a guy. He's not terrible, but he is filling an important role and he is just very limited in my view. He makes the silly fouls, but he is also prone to giving the ball away, and when he does it's usually in a bad position on the pitch, given where he plays.

As regards the solid centre half, don't laugh, but I've always though Lovren has the physical tools. I hope Klopp can get him playing well consistently there, it might save us a lot more money.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 27, 2016, 09:41:16 AM
Agree with most of that except Lucas. I think he is just a guy. He's not terrible, but he is filling an important role and he is just very limited in my view. He makes the silly fouls, but he is also prone to giving the ball away, and when he does it's usually in a bad position on the pitch, given where he plays.

As regards the solid centre half, don't laugh, but I've always though Lovren has the physical tools. I hope Klopp can get him playing well consistently there, it might save us a lot more money.

I read someone during the week (I think it may have been Tommo) suggesting Liverpool should buy Ryan Shawcross.
I may have sneered a bit at this initially, but he has a point.
What Liverpool need is an old fashioned no nonsense  centre half who can help get them better organised from set pieces. Now, that may not be Ryan Shawcross, but a player of that ilk is probably what they need.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Orior

I also found it strange that the commentators didnt see or ignored the Moreno incident. You don't see those antics much on the soccer field - more Tyrone county footballers.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

I thought Joe Allen made a difference when he came on, the last few games I've seen him he has played well.
I was still nervous seeing him step up to take the final pens though. Fair play he finished it well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on January 27, 2016, 03:29:34 PM
I thought Joe Allen made a difference when he came on, the last few games I've seen him he has played well.
I was still nervous seeing him step up to take the final pens though. Fair play he finished it well.
I actually think he is a good player to have in your squad.
Neat and tidy on the ball, useful to bring on to try and see a game out, if you just want to keep possession. Shouldn't be a first choice, but happy enough to have him on the bench.

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 27, 2016, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 27, 2016, 03:29:34 PM
I actually think he is a good player to have in your squad.
Neat and tidy on the ball, useful to bring on to try and see a game out, if you just want to keep possession. Shouldn't be a first choice, but happy enough to have him on the bench.

That's true. The problem we have is we have quite a few of those lads, and some of them are first team starters. I'd include Lucas, Milner and Moreno in that category. Mignolet as well.

blewuporstuffed

That's true.
The season they almost won the league, Liverpool had surez,sturridge,sterling & coutino all who would have gotten on any team in the league (and most teams in Europe.
At the minute I cant think of many in bracket on current form.
Liverpool have plenty of 'decent' players, and 'good squad players'. What they are lacking is real star quality.
Clyne, Sakho,Henderson, Can,  Firmino ,Coutino  could all form the basis of a good side, but they need a couple of really top class talents to push them on to where they need to be to get back in to the top 4 and competing for trophies.

From the Bunker

Liverpool have a lot of players with the tag He'd be good if he had a top man there beside him.

Cunny Funt

Everton 3-1 up against City. Looking like a Merseyside league cup final.

gawa316

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2016, 08:06:17 PM
Everton 3-1 up against City. Looking like a Merseyside league cup final.

Looking like Citee now