Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel White

Bingo, the continental campsite holiday is a great option.  You can drive quite easily to the likes of the Vendee or Loire regions of France.  Id leave Normandy and Brittany alone as weather can be a lottery.  Advantages of driving is you can take your own bikes etc and also take plenty of wine home.  Italy is good too, Lake Garda. Nice small site in Sirimone i can get you details of if youre interested.  Keycamp/ Eurocamp are good, though expensive, particularly as the young lad can join the kids club.  If not, Venue holidays, small English outfit, is a cheaper option.

PMG1

Le Vieux Port in the South West of France is excellent camp site, great facilities, plenty of Irish children about, beside the beach also but the pools are great.  5 Minute walk to the nearest town which has some great restaurants and some big supermarkets close by.  Good entertainment on the site at night too.  Its about 1 hour drive from Biarritz to the South and Bordeaux to the north (much cheaper flights to Bordeaux).  I always went with Thomson Al Fresco who I would recommend highly.

Another great site is Cambrils on the edge of Salou in Spain, about 1:30 from Barcelona, although its a bit more expensive to get and stay there, everything is much cheaper when you get there, 10 minute walk into Salou, great water parks and theme parks in Salou also.

Nigel White

Quote from: PMG1 on January 07, 2015, 07:40:09 PM
Le Vieux Port in the South West of France is excellent camp site, great facilities, plenty of Irish children about, beside the beach also but the pools are great.  5 Minute walk to the nearest town which has some great restaurants and some big supermarkets close by.  Good entertainment on the site at night too.  Its about 1 hour drive from Biarritz to the South and Bordeaux to the north (much cheaper flights to Bordeaux).  I always went with Thomson Al Fresco who I would recommend highly.

Another great site is Cambrils on the edge of Salou in Spain, about 1:30 from Barcelona, although its a bit more expensive to get and stay there, everything is much cheaper when you get there, 10 minute walk into Salou, great water parks and theme parks in Salou also.
Ive stayed in Le Vieux Port myself a number of times. Watched Harrington win The Open in the bar there. Great site as you say, but the sea can be very dangerous. Great site for cycling also

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nigel White on January 07, 2015, 08:53:18 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on January 07, 2015, 07:40:09 PM

Ive stayed in Le Vieux Port myself a number of times. Watched Harrington win The Open in the bar there. Great site as you say, but the sea can be very dangerous. Great site for cycling also

Did this camp myself about 11 years ago... Great spot but that side of France can have its shitty weather due to the mountains. Drove to Lourdes big let down
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: bennydorano on January 07, 2015, 05:01:16 PM
Hard to beat the Keycamp/ Eurocamp. Did Argeles sur mer the past 2 years, 20km from Perpignan airport. Stayed in a small campsite directly across the road from a much bigger one (same owners), so got the best of both worlds with quietness/ use of facilities & entertainment. Had a car both years, but very doable without one. Loads of Irish about.

Stayed there twice. Great spot. Loads of Irish there and great for the wains

Billys Boots

Quote from: Nigel White on January 07, 2015, 05:49:59 PM
Bingo, the continental campsite holiday is a great option.  You can drive quite easily to the likes of the Vendee or Loire regions of France.  Id leave Normandy and Brittany alone as weather can be a lottery.  Advantages of driving is you can take your own bikes etc and also take plenty of wine home.  Italy is good too, Lake Garda. Nice small site in Sirimone i can get you details of if youre interested.  Keycamp/ Eurocamp are good, though expensive, particularly as the young lad can join the kids club.  If not, Venue holidays, small English outfit, is a cheaper option.

Our family have gone camping to the Vendee for years - if you want to know anything about it just PM me.  It's a 4-5 hr drive from Cherbourg or Roscoff, and significantly sunnier/warmer than Brittany.  Very good campsites, from very small and quiet to very large and busy, all with lots of things for kids to do. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Thanks a million for the suggestions lads.

Fuzzman

A friend of mine has a holiday home near Bundoran which I went to one night back in July I think it was. Day before the Armagh game I think it was.
Anyway it was mad busy with a load of foreigners there to surf as usual
Anyone know what its like in Feb or March? Is it a ghost town?

blewuporstuffed

Considering craotia for the summer holidays.
anyone ever been or can offer any advice?
Just me and the missus.
Like the idea of the island hopping but not sure how feasible it is

flying from dublin or belfast, but flights are pretty limiting
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mikhailov

Lads,

Anyone recommend Greece for family holiday (kids all teenagers). We have done the Portugal & Spain trips but missus looking at Rhodes, Crete or anywhere in Greece but being honest don't know anything about any place in that country.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated....

TabClear

Quote from: Mikhailov on January 14, 2015, 04:57:31 PM
Lads,

Anyone recommend Greece for family holiday (kids all teenagers). We have done the Portugal & Spain trips but missus looking at Rhodes, Crete or anywhere in Greece but being honest don't know anything about any place in that country.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated....

I think it is quite cheap at the minute for obvious reasons. We looked at it last year and the reason we did nt go was the heat. I think it can be scorching, 40+ degrees which is not ideal with young kids. Crete has some good spots for families from memory but I think you have to be careful where you book, same as Spain/Canaries etc. One resort will be 18-30, the next aimed at families etc

Emmett

Lads,

Heading to Reykjavik in a few weeks and would like to book a couple of tours in the few days I am there. Has anyone that has been there got any tips on someone reputable to book these through at the best price?

The Northern Lights, Golden Circle and any of the snowmobile tours look good to me. Herself would like to do the Blue Lagoon geothermic spa.

I've obviously searched online already but any advice coming from experience would be great

DennistheMenace

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 14, 2015, 04:15:17 PM
Just me and the missus.

Never done the island hopping but have been before and it's a beautiful country, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 15, 2015, 09:10:00 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on January 14, 2015, 04:15:17 PM
Just me and the missus.

Never done the island hopping but have been before and it's a beautiful country, couldn't recommend it highly enough.
where did you stay/ fly into.
Any recommendations for must see's or do's?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 07, 2015, 01:10:45 PM
Right lads and lassies, it's that post Christmas blues, let's plan the Summer Holidays time again. We're a family of 4, boy aged 8 and girl aged 2 in May. Looking to align with school holidays, so basically the first 2 weeks of July.

Looking for something sunny, after a nice holiday in Devon last year we're hoping to go back to Europe this year, which will obviously be the little girl's first time.

Ideally looking for a 2 bedroom apartment/chalet with living space. We've been to Portugal several times, and that's back in the running again, but the little lad would prefer somewhere else I think, so we are also trying to see if there's anything in Spain, France or Italy (around the lakes). I don't want it to be unbearably hot, especially for the little one, and ideally there would be activities for the little lad. Mam and Dad are happy if the kids are happy, and there's a nice swim and food and drink.

Any ideas or experiences? GAABoard has never steered me wrong before, in this area at least :)
We were in the South of France last year in July, AZ, and it was very hot. Maybe somewhere a bit further north eg the Vendee or les sables d'ollon would be a bit cooler. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU