Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Thinking about going skiing for the first time in January. There wil be a group of us, (3 couples) all novice skiers.
Anyone recommend any resorts/ places to go?
Somewhere witha  decent apres ski would be good, and we will all probably need ski school, equipemnt hire etc.
what roughly can we expect to pay?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

WeeDonns

www.directski.com
www.crystalski.co.uk
www.crystalski.ie (from Dublin)

I've used all the above before. You'll often find its cheaper to fly from Dublin than Belfast.
Someone will probably come along and advise to book all separately but as its your first time I'd advise to go with a tour operator.

Lots of people head to Andorra for their first time, I did (pas de la casa)and it suited perfectly but I don't think i'd head back there now that I can ski(snowboard) pretty well.
It has good beginner slopes & ski schools and lively nightlife. You also have a broad range of accommodation from very basic to quite nice.

However, I would always choose Austria over anywhere else in Europe I've been, and in particular Soll. The craic is great, I love the food, the beer is affordable and theres 230km+ on piste

You can usually get good deals on ski hire via www.snowbrainer.com sign up now for their discount codes. I've found it difficult to get any sort of discounts for ski passes unless with a much larger group

Edit: sorry, i just seen you said Novice skiiers, not beginners

blewuporstuffed

Thanks for the advice, the group will most likely be a mix of complete beginners and novices (skied once or twice before).
I like the sound of Austria, i have looked into booking thing separtaly (pas de la casa), but wanted to get a  n idea of where is best to go first. I think it works out slightly cheaper, but maybe not enough to be worth the hassle.

Where do you fly into in Austria for Soll?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rois

I always book my own separately but I have reasons for that - I like catered chalet holidays which are generally not found in Austria/Italy/Andorra and I have a few contacts built up now of chalet owners in French resorts that I like.  To book your own, you really need someone who will be ok with being a "leader" and showing people what to do and where to go.  If you don't have that, definitely go with a tour operator.  I'm always that person on group trips and it doesn't bother me, which is why I'm confident in doing it all myself. 

Anyhow, my first trip was also to Andorra (Arinsal) and it was brilliant, but I wouldn't go anywhere near it again.  It certainly did the job at the best price at the time and having a tour operator pick us up from airport and drop us off, give us vouchers and instructions for everything, it was definitely really good.  Livigno was also great - I'd pick that over Andorra now for beginners.  Transfers for both are horrendous. 

I think Austria flights might be to Salzburg?   I'd love to try there, and I'd go with a tour operator.  www.topflight.ie also have a range flying from Belfast. 

bennydorano

Anybody know of a decent hotel that has apartments attached so you have the benefit of the self-catering apartment & facilities of the hotel. Thinking Kerry or Galway.

Couple of goggle searches have been surprisingly frustrating! I did this 10 years ago in a hotel in Kilkee in Clare & thought it was powerful, maybe it's a disappearing thing?

mylestheslasher

Benny - Castle Dargan outside Sligo has apartments. Think Breaffy House Hotel in Castlebar might have some too.

the Deel Rover

Stayed in the helm apartment s in westport a few times not a hotel but adjacent to the helm bar found it great value, they were very helpful organised sea fishing for us when we were there. The apartment s were spotless
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Walter Cronc

Not sure if this is the right thread but looking advice on a weekend break in Europe with the better half. Would love to try some of the Scandinavian countries. Anyone ever been? Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and the likes... or am I better heading to say Berlin/Brussels etc.

AZOffaly

A lot of hotels down south have that sort of set up. I suppose depending on what you want really, as regards kids etc. A few I've stayed in.

Castlerosse Hotel in Killarney has nice chalets on the grounds, and you are considered a resident of the hotel so you can swim etc. There's also a golf course on the grounds of the hotel as well.

The Quality hotel in Clonakilty is geared towards kids especially, but is another with apartments on the grounds. This hotel has a cinema on the grounds, a kids play area (ball pits etc), and the pool leisure centre as well..

A more upmarket version is probably Knightsbrook, in Trim. They have the leisure centre, and it's a nice hotel and golf resort. They also have the chalets.

To be honest it's not hard to find hotels with chalets on the grounds, but I've stayed in those 3 and they were all perfect.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 01, 2014, 08:55:31 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread but looking advice on a weekend break in Europe with the better half. Would love to try some of the Scandinavian countries. Anyone ever been? Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo and the likes... or am I better heading to say Berlin/Brussels etc.

Been to Helsinki and Oslo for work - both are great but very, very expensive.  BA lost my luggage on the way to Oslo - i had to buy a toothbrush, tootbrush and razor; they cost me €30 in 2004.  I bought a teeshirt, jocks, socks and jeans - €350.  Two pints of beer - €22.  Just saying.  :o
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Walter Cronc

Cheers guys, that certainly rules out Oslo then!! I've heard Stockholm is also pricey, not sure on Copenhagen.

Didn't even think about down south AZ. I haven't even seen half of this great country of ours so that is certainly something to consider!!

AZOffaly

Sorry Walter, I was responding to Benny, but yeah, you should come down South instead :)

Boycey

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 01, 2014, 08:55:31 AM

The only one of the Scandinavian countries I can speak about is Copenhagen. I thought it was very expensive and light of things to see and do. I was there on a footie trip though so I suppose my priorities might have been schewed a bit....

Have you thought about further east? I can vouch for Riga, Prague and Krakow as all being cracking spots with plenty of sights, good food etc and are reasonably priced.. Everyone should visit Auschwitz once in their life (Krakow)

Walter Cronc

Cheers Boycey, yeah done Krakow and Auschwitz/Birkenau. Was an excellent trip. Would also recommend Budapest. Great city! Never been to Prague so that could be an option. Would love to try Berlin or even Brussels/Bruge.

screenexile

Did Berlin last year and Brussels/Brugges before that. Both great trips I doubt you'd be disappointed with either!

Have to say I love City Breaks as opposed to a Sun holiday. There's something about lying by a pool all day in the sun that just doesn't appeal to me!!