The Political History of Northern Ireland

Started by Lar Naparka, July 04, 2010, 11:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

In August 20008 a thread was started on this board in connection with the Warrenpoint ambush and more specifically, the celebrations to mark its anniversary by a republican splinter group. (I don't now recall its name.)
Many of the board members here will remember that the exchanges across the political divide grew a bit heated before Mod 1 stepped in and closed down the thread.
But, just before Mod1 intervened, a spin off thread to discuss the history of Northern Ireland was started.
Wiser counsel, IMO, prevailed and this thread was aborted. Feelings on both sides were running high and in the wake of the mod's intervention on the Warrenpoint thread, the likelihood was that he'd do the same with this one.
I am proposing that the subject in question should be brought up again, now that passions on both sides ought to have cooled down somewhat.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ONeill

But they started it.

The political future is an interesting topic; are divisions so deep, dormant or not, that there'll never be anything other than a NI with self determination?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lar Naparka

As a footnote, I'd add that I have no hidden motives of any sort when bringing this subject up again. It's more a case of, "What sort of future can NI have, given its history?"
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

pintsofguinness

From memory I think it was sinn fein youth who were going on a tour on historical tour and one of the places was narrow water.
I suppose it give some people something to cry about  ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Milltown Row2

Lar this place will never heal.

i work with 16 to 18 year old's everyday, mostly kids from Carrickfergus. I'd say one or two would not be bigots what i find really strange is that they were not born during the troubles, they live in an area that has little or no Catholics, the vast majority of them will end up in the UDA cause thats what they do!!!!

I would debate with them and ask the questions, why do you not like Catholics, I've never got an answer, it would have been the same when i worked in Belfast, Catholic kids hating Prods. won't change in my lifetime
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Northern Ireland is conclusive proof that Homo sapiens and Neanderthals might be compatible genetically but they are not compatible socio-economically, linguistically and cromulently.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

At last, some realism. Wish the arseholes who want to bring in "normal" british politics could see the same.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Quote from: muppet on July 04, 2010, 02:03:47 PM
Northern Ireland is conclusive proof that Homo sapiens and Neanderthals might be compatible genetically but they are not compatible socio-economically, linguistically and cromulently.

I must express my emphatic contrafibularities.

orange2009

This is a bit off topic but I was driving through a village today between Castlewellan and Banbridge, its name now excapes me.  I would never comment publicly or otherwise about the parades and 12th July as if thats Protestant culture then so be it.  But I was completely astounded today when I saw this flag below among all the other decorations flags etc:

Dear God this is the flag of Apartheid South Africa.  Now I can look over the Israeli flags and UDA ones etc, but what in Gods name can they associate with the one of the most vicious regimes in history.  I have to say it just completely astounded me.  I wouldnt see myself as a bigoted person in as much as I have Protestant friends and all, but just cant see how people one, could put it up, then other right minded people could let it stay there.

I dont want this post to sound offensive, and dont want to tar everyone with the same brush, but I'm just dumbfounded by it!

Hurler on the Bitch

Sorry mate, but no suprise there. Israel, South Africa and Our Wee Country - basically a 'master race' mentality fighting an in-bred, criminal minority that needs to be 'gassed'. Their thoughts, not mine. I think that if you go back to a guy called Robert Bradford MP - assassinated by the Bon Jovies in 1981 - you will find the argument that NI Protestants are, infact, one of the lost tribes of Israel. Therefore, God's chosen people who, by some historical quirk, have ended up on 'Ulster' (I presume they took the wrong turn at Egypt). So, just as God has made them special, anything they do is justified as they are supreme and everyone else is scum. If you want to know how this theory played out in practice, well, you could look at employment statistics in the Six Counties from 1922 for a start. Indeed, put this to the test and walk down Royal Avenue on the Twelfth doing a collection for St. Vincent de Paul.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on July 04, 2010, 10:42:06 PM
Sorry mate, but no suprise there. Israel, South Africa and Our Wee Country - basically a 'master race' mentality fighting an in-bred, criminal minority that needs to be 'gassed'. Their thoughts, not mine. I think that if you go back to a guy called Robert Bradford MP - assassinated by the Bon Jovies in 1981 - you will find the argument that NI Protestants are, infact, one of the lost tribes of Israel. Therefore, God's chosen people who, by some historical quirk, have ended up on 'Ulster' (I presume they took the wrong turn at Egypt). So, just as God has made them special, anything they do is justified as they are supreme and everyone else is scum. If you want to know how this theory played out in practice, well, you could look at employment statistics in the Six Counties from 1922 for a start. Indeed, put this to the test and walk down Royal Avenue on the Twelfth doing a collection for St. Vincent de Paul.
Some dick puts a flag up and you have 900,000 people thinking they're the master race.  :o

Zapatista

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2010, 01:10:47 PM
Lar this place will never heal.

i work with 16 to 18 year old's everyday, mostly kids from Carrickfergus. I'd say one or two would not be bigots what i find really strange is that they were not born during the troubles, they live in an area that has little or no Catholics, the vast majority of them will end up in the UDA cause thats what they do!!!!

I would debate with them and ask the questions, why do you not like Catholics, I've never got an answer, it would have been the same when i worked in Belfast, Catholic kids hating Prods. won't change in my lifetime

I completely disagree. Things have changed so much since I was that age that I can only see things change futher. I'm not naive enough to say when, but I think that it is happening slowly. All societies change regardless. One example could be the civil war politics in the south. Things have changed so much from the time of the war but it has left a lasting effect on the politics of the country that is still recognisable. The problem is that it is often just replaced with another form of division.

I think what you are seeing can be compared to all communities. They all have a dislike for someone. Where I am living now the kids living in my area hate the kids living in the upper class areas. Many of them also hate the black and Asian communities. While my experience here is based along different lines and a different history it is no less present it just doesn't have a bloody history.

fearglasmor

If you are not contented with your station in life you are going to hate someone. Just human nature.

Zapatista

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 05, 2010, 08:18:47 AM
If you are not contented with your station in life you are going to hate someone. Just human nature.

That's too easy. You can (and many do) fight against that hate.

Banana Man

No doubt the village was Moneyslane....

The flag of old South africa would have been up to commerate those 'brave gunrunners' who supplied the weapons to the chosen race here. A lot of loyalist guns came in from there, suppose it's a nod to them