Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: Ronnie on September 06, 2019, 06:32:29 AM
Let's call this lot Liberal Elite Westminster (LEW).  The LEW - led by Corbyn - are ploughing one of the most conservative of all ideas.  'My dad said we've to vote Tory because they're smarter than us and know what's better for us".  Can't remember the official title for this phenomenon but it held the Conservatives as the ruling party until new Labour came along early 90s.  Essentially Parliamentary Sovereignty is democracy so long as the mob don't get to act on their impulses.  Popularism and a simple in/out vote.  A better referendum would be:  "Should we end immigration?  Yes or No"

I'm glad we're not getting a no deal Brexit but we'll still get a Brexit and it'll be Theresa May's deal tidied up by Corbyn or the leader of the Unity Govt. I predict Labour losing in most of England except London, home of LEW.  Dom Cum is excellent at electoral strategy.  Corbyn should consider making him an offer.

If it gets to this, then there's every chance there could also be a second referendum where Remain most likely wins out.

t_mac

Quote from: sensethetone on September 06, 2019, 06:43:26 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 05, 2019, 07:25:15 PM
Quote from: t_mac on September 05, 2019, 05:46:13 PM
Bojo just said he would rather be dead in a ditch than ask for an extension. All opposition parties should hold firm and make him.

Well, he did say Brexit was do or die...

When BJ was then asked so you would resign first and he shat the pants.

Maybe that's why the cop collapsed - she smelt it!

seafoid

The brits are not going to get much of a deal with the EU if they turn the UK into a low wage sweatshop.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Let's call this lot Liberal Elite Westminster (LEW).  The LEW - led by Corbyn - are ploughing one of the most conservative of all ideas.  'My dad said we've to vote Tory because they're smarter than us and know what's better for us".  Can't remember the official title for this phenomenon but it held the Conservatives as the ruling party until new Labour came along early 90s.  Essentially Parliamentary Sovereignty is democracy so long as the mob don't get to act on their impulses.  Popularism and a simple in/out vote.  A better referendum would be:  "Should we end immigration?  Yes or No"

I'm glad we're not getting a no deal Brexit but we'll still get a Brexit and it'll be Theresa May's deal tidied up by Corbyn or the leader of the Unity Govt.  I predict Labour losing in most of England except London, home of LEW.  Dom Cum is excellent at electoral strategy.  Corbyn should consider making him an offer.

I'll agree with you in one regard, that the Brexit will be a dressed up version of Mays deal with a NI only backstop.
When reality bites for the ERG or Spartans I think they're now called they'll vote for that and hope that they've worn down enough pro Brexit, but not hard Brexiteers within the Labour ranks to get it over the line.

As for Cummins, he's a shyster of the highest order and it would be interesting to know who's behind him pushing the buttons once his inevitable fall from grace happens.

Boris is a willing patsy in this game, the egotistical buffon.

sensethetone

Quote from: johnnycool on September 06, 2019, 10:45:55 AM

I'm glad we're not getting a no deal Brexit but we'll still get a Brexit and it'll be Theresa May's deal tidied up by Corbyn or the leader of the Unity Govt.  I predict Labour losing in most of England except London, home of LEW.  Dom Cum is excellent at electoral strategy.  Corbyn should consider making him an offer.

I'll agree with you in one regard, that the Brexit will be a dressed up version of Mays deal with a NI only backstop.
When reality bites for the ERG or Spartans I think they're now called they'll vote for that and hope that they've worn down enough pro Brexit, but not hard Brexiteers within the Labour ranks to get it over the line.

As for Cummins, he's a shyster of the highest order and it would be interesting to know who's behind him pushing the buttons once his inevitable fall from grace happens.

Boris is a willing patsy in this game, the egotistical buffon.

1922 group/ERG/Free masons/Russia/Trump and Brenda from Bristol. #SPAD RULE

Rossfan

Nail on head in the last 2 paras Johnny.
Going by Pence's and tr**p's undiplomatic support for breaking up the EU I'd suspect there are extreme neo liberal US interests behind Cummings.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2019, 08:17:25 AM
No Deal for people in NI would mean a huge drop in wages/social welfare. Why the DUP would support this is beyond me.
Paradoxically Brexit has brought the 2 parts of the Irish nation closer than at any time in the last century. In 1969 the Dublin
government had virtually no insight into NI society.

It is simple really. They expected Brexit to lead to a physical border and to have a greater barrier in all senses of the word between the 6 counties and the rest of the country. The Union is their utmost priority and trumps everything else - food, health, the economy etc. They would rather we all lived in a cave live like they do than give up their beloved Queen and country - which ironically would drop them in a heartbeat if they could find a way out. It's not working out quite the way they planned but they have made their bed and have to lie in it - mind you it's not been as big a disaster for them to date as the rest of us hoped. But long runs the fox.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2019, 03:19:39 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/northern-ireland-s-economy-is-threatened-by-more-than-brexit-1.4009296

Erm - that article dumps the sum of our problems on the transfer test.

Given that the results of the education system in NI is evidently better performing than elsewhere, it is a strange argument to make:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gcse-results-your-area-see-18983712

QuoteNorthern Ireland has scored the highest percentage of entries who achieved a 'pass,' with 82.2% getting a C or 4 depending on the grading system.

The region was also top area for the people getting grades A or 7 and above.

London came in second, with 70.6% passing and 25.7% scoring at least an A or 7.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49351481

QuoteA-Level entries in Northern Ireland declined by more than 2% in 2019, though exam organisations said that was mainly due to a fall in the year 14 population in schools.

However, the overall A*-E pass rate at A-level in Northern Ireland increased slightly by 0.1% to 98.3%.

Pupils in Northern Ireland have consistently outperformed their counterparts in England and Wales in recent years.

There is nothing that boils my piss more than some hippy insisting comprehensive schools are the way to go when the evidence clearly states otherwise.
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Maybe Irish people have more brains than English or Welsh?

Anyway where to now as it seems Bozo's 2nd attempt to force an Election will meet the same fate as the 1st one.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on September 06, 2019, 02:14:23 PM
No Deal for people in NI would mean a huge drop in wages/social welfare. Why the DUP would support this is beyond me.
Paradoxically Brexit has brought the 2 parts of the Irish nation closer than at any time in the last century. In 1969 the Dublin

It is simple really. They expected Brexit to lead to a physical border and to have a greater barrier in all senses of the word between the 6 counties and the rest of the country. The Union is their utmost priority and trumps everything else - food, health, the economy etc. They would rather we all lived in a cave live like they do than give up their beloved Queen and country - which ironically would drop them in a heartbeat if they could find a way out. It's not working out quite the way they planned but they have made their bed and have to lie in it - mind you it's not been as big a disaster for them to date as the rest of us hoped. But long runs the fox.
The Unionist worldview is based around the fact that they are superior to the Irish.
No Deal would hammer Unionist wages and leave them poorer than Taigs in Monaghan

As Clinton said, it's the economy, stupid.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2019, 04:57:20 PM

The Unionist worldview is based around the fact that they are superior to the Irish.
No Deal would hammer Unionist wages and leave them poorer than Taigs in Monaghan

No arguing with any of that but as I said with them the Union trumps everything else. There is no reasoning with that mindset.

HiMucker

I agree with yous, but I think DUP behind closed doors know they backed the wrong horse. They didn't expect to win regards Brexit. Now they have to stick to it. Good luck to them.

seafoid

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on September 06, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 06, 2019, 04:57:20 PM

No arguing with any of that but as I said with them the Union trumps everything else. There is no reasoning with that mindset.

The pillars of the Unionist worldview are collapsing .
The Brits bought off the Presbyterians after 1798. For almost 200 years being British made sense. For how much longer ?