St Brigids can do it.

Started by Denn Forever, March 15, 2011, 01:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

st brigids gave a good account of themselves. fair play to them.

Jinxy

Brigids kicked it away in the last few minutes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross matt

Very disappointed for Brigids but congrats to Crossmaglen. They really know how to win. They tackled in numbers and were ruthless and clinical in possession and finishing. McConville epitomised this. Cool as a breeze all day. Kicked 2 points from play I think along with some excellent frees. Thier number 10 was amazing. Considering they lost in the Armagh championship last year and came all the way back to win the AI today I cant begrudge them their victory.

Brigids were more stylish when on the ball if a little to fond of the short game. However they had few scoring options up front except to feed Senan Kilbride. In fairness he nearly carried them over the line. He was awesome in winning ball and finishing. Cathal McHugh was playing well and is a fine player so his substitution due to injury really cost them. They never won primary or breaking ball in midfield all day. Dolan was good in terms of distribution but he cost them at the end by missing the free and the next point. Kilbride himself should have been on the edge of the square for that last free and Dolan should have been putting it in. Maybe it was lack of AI final experience that caused set pieces like that to go wrong at a key point in the match. All in all they were still in it at the end of a close encounter and can hold their heads high. The ref was very fussy all through and hampered both sides as a result I thought.

mannix

Hard luck to st brig ids. Never going to be easy against a seasoned opponent.

topo d rite

time of this post will give a clue, i'm just in from paddy burkes in clarinbridge after a great night of celebration. Its such a pity that we did'nt have a connacht double today, brigid's could well have brought home the bacon as well, but a bit more finesse was needed in the final qtr. i'm a mayo man living in the bridge for the past 12 yrs, and got a great kick walking out of croker after an aif having passionately followed the winning team, for a welcome change! i really enjoyed the two games, beforehand i feared that the football would look like a poor relation after the wonderfull hurling exhibition by the bridge in the second half, but i need not have worried, the standard of skill and entertainment in the football match was top class for club level.

the defining passages of play were seen when the match was in the melting pot with 10 mins to go, oisin swung over a majestic free from an angle 40 mtrs out and shortly afterwards francie missed narrowly  from 30mtrs with the wind behind. these clinical inches made the difference of a two point swing late in the game. brigids were game, skilfull and gave their all but, this proved to be the defining moment in my view. hard luck to brigids, the were so very close, and might see this as the one that got away, but as a connacht man i was delighted to support the rossies in the green and red (however odd that might seem!!), a great day of entertainment at hq. up the west and f"""k the rest!!!!!

HiMucker

I thought the defining moment in the game was Jamie Clarkes goal.  Excellent goal and great skill by him, but there was alot of luck involved.  Good Brigids defending forced McConville to kick a cross field ball from one corner high into the other.  Then the cross man went for a shot under pressure from the defenders that went horribly wrong sending it back towards the other corner were Clarke pounced.  Poorer defending would have resulted in a point conceeded and no the goal.  But i suppose these things happen in all games.

Denn Forever

Hard luck to Brigids but it really showed it is the old dog for the hard road.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ross4life

Quote from: Bogball XV on March 17, 2011, 11:08:53 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 16, 2011, 12:29:27 PM
I understand the biggest ever crowd for a All ireland club final in Croke park was around 35k, kerry mike is spot on the GAA should be trying to fill the place & tickets are indeed 25euro a 5 euro rise from last year.
fairly sure there was mid 40's there in 2004? for Caltra, Gaeltacht, Dunloy and Birr.  It might not be reflected cos they had to open the gates and let in the last 10 odd thousand for free.  I was in about 10 mins before that, raging!!
Prices are a disgrace, what was today's attendance?

Close to 26k though seem to around 30k in? was surprised with the small following from crossmaglen but i guess they don't have the whole country following them like St Brigids

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

armaghniac

QuoteClose to 26k though seem to around 30k in? was surprised with the small following from crossmaglen but i guess they don't have the whole country following them like St Brigids

There would be less of an Armagh following for Cross now, 6 finals in. Also more people work in the North on the 17th and the Ulster schools final in Armagh yesterday would have taken away a few.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ross4life

Quote from: armaghniac on March 18, 2011, 02:45:56 PM
QuoteClose to 26k though seem to around 30k in? was surprised with the small following from crossmaglen but i guess they don't have the whole country following them like St Brigids

There would be less of an Armagh following for Cross now, 6 finals in. Also more people work in the North on the 17th and the Ulster schools final in Armagh yesterday would have taken away a few.

Is it just me or does that not sound like the the Kerryman excuse? no need telling me about 6 finals i won't live the day to ever see that.  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Have some faith Ross. ;D
The bright days are just around the corner.
Hard luck Bridgets , a few wrong choices ,too slow to make changes on the sideline and being up against a good team all led to a gallant narrow defeat.
But fear not Rossies the good times are just around the corner.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: Rossfan on March 18, 2011, 07:01:08 PM
Have some faith Ross. ;D
The bright days are just around the corner.
Hard luck Bridgets , a few wrong choices ,too slow to make changes on the sideline and being up against a good team all led to a gallant narrow defeat.
But fear not Rossies the good times are just around the corner.
well no doubt the future looks brighter & to quote the SawDoctors "To Win just once
That would be enough,To win just once against the odds And once be smiled on by the Gods"

armaghniac

Quotewell no doubt the future looks brighter & to quote the SawDoctors "To Win just once
That would be enough,To win just once against the odds And once be smiled on by the Gods"

But when you win 5 times you can blow about it for decades afterwards, you only have to ask anyone from Down.

Rossies can look forward to better times than the recent past, and we welcome you back.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mattockranger

i thought the brigids full back was fouled for the clarke goal........definitely pulled back after breaking the ball down....

very enjoyable game to watch
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Tatler Jack

Bhuel ar dtús ba mhaith liom comhghairdeas a ghabháil  le  foireann Crois Mhic Lionnáin. Tá ard meas agam ar an gclub agus a fhoireann agus ní h-aon dóichín é cluiche ceannais na gclubanna a bhuchaint le cúig huaire. Maith sibh.

É sin ráite táim fíor brodúil as foireann Naomh Bhríd, rinne siad a seacht ndícheall i gcluiche breá iomaíoch. Ní raibh morán idir na foirne ach nuair a thainig an crú ar an tairne bhí beagainín níos mó taithí, cumhacht agus gliceas ag fir na Croise. Freisin bhí painéil níos láidre ag Cross agus is mór an trua é nach raibh Mark O'Carroll agus Niall Crehan in ann imirt do Naomh Bhríd. Sin mar a bhíonn sé ach táim dócasach go mbeidh lá eile ag an bPaorach!!

Mar fhocal scoir ba bhreá é a fheicéal  daoine o gach cúinne contae Ros Comáin i bPairc an Cróchaigh agus iad ag tabhairt tacáiocht do na Brídeoga. Agus ba bhreá domsa buail leis an seanfhondúir Gerry O'Malley agus sláinte an bhrádáin aige fós cé go bhfuil níos mó na ceithre scór bainte amach aige.