Kerry Club competitions

Started by Kerry Mike, February 14, 2011, 05:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

We had divisional sides underage back in the day and they really improved the standard. You had to up your game to get your jersey and work even harder to retain it, it's a model system.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

HiMucker

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2011, 11:28:05 AM
So do we take from this that playing games of football helps you to be better at football?
Why oh why cant alot of managers see this very simple logic.  Eloquently put Seanie.
Il be at training tonight gettin the balls ran off me

magpie seanie

Quote from: HiMucker on February 15, 2011, 12:37:47 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2011, 11:28:05 AM
So do we take from this that playing games of football helps you to be better at football?
Why oh why cant alot of managers see this very simple logic.  Eloquently put Seanie.
Il be at training tonight gettin the balls ran off me

Me too!

blanketattack

One bad aspect is that if you've an 18 year old county minor from a junior/intermediate club is likely to be on 7 different teams and about 12 different competitions.
The different teams would be:
Club minor
Club U21
Club senior
Divisional minor
Divisional U21
Divisional senior
Intercounty minor

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 15, 2011, 12:26:34 PM
We had divisional sides underage back in the day and they really improved the standard. You had to up your game to get your jersey and work even harder to retain it, it's a model system.

Is Clan Braonan (sp?) gone?

Kerry Mike

QuoteThe different teams would be:
Club minor
Club U21
Club senior
Divisional minor
Divisional U21
Divisional senior
Intercounty minor

And possibly school and maybe even Kerry Vocational team too.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

clarshack

already you can guess who will likely win the kerry and all ireland junior next year - declan o'sullivan's dromid pearses.

Kerry Mike

Quotealready you can guess who will likely win the kerry and all ireland junior next year - declan o'sullivan's dromid pearses.

Dont think so, as they are losing alot of players this year and may even struggle to field a team.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Kerry Mike

QuoteThe novice c'ship is relatively recent. Before it came along those clubs played in the Junior c'ship so I can't see how removing the worst half of the junior clubs is an advantage? It's just one less round.

Not that recent as I have played in a Novice final back in the day many moons ago, if I remember there was a Novice B too, but it would have been a terrible slur to be classed as a Novice B team  ;)

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 15, 2011, 01:42:39 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 15, 2011, 12:26:34 PM

Is Clan Braonan (sp?) gone?

Sorry, didn't mean to give that impression AZ, Clann Bhraonain and all the other divisional sides are still going strong underage. We should introduce divisional sides for senior and maybe remove them from the minor setup, as has been said the young lads probably have enough on their plate.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Kerry Mike on February 15, 2011, 02:30:50 PM
Quotealready you can guess who will likely win the kerry and all ireland junior next year - declan o'sullivan's dromid pearses.

Dont think so, as they are losing alot of players this year and may even struggle to field a team.

I think they'll field all right, but they are losing a lot of lads through emmigration etc.

blanketattack

Quote from: Kerry Mike on February 15, 2011, 02:35:35 PM
QuoteThe novice c'ship is relatively recent. Before it came along those clubs played in the Junior c'ship so I can't see how removing the worst half of the junior clubs is an advantage? It's just one less round.

Not that recent as I have played in a Novice final back in the day many moons ago, if I remember there was a Novice B too, but it would have been a terrible slur to be classed as a Novice B team  ;)

I thought it came in in the 80s? Relatively recently for me!

Kerry Mike

It probably was the 80's come to think of it...
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

illdecide

Amazing that...thanks Mike for sharing that
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Kerry Mike

QuoteAmazing that...thanks Mike for sharing that

No Bother I must save this as the question pops up nearly every year about the Kerry format, it looks complicated but when you have played in it you understand how good a structure it is. No wonder there is a full time secretary in Kerry nowadays to run all those games. The Kerry GAA have used to produce a booklet of fixtures for years called Eolaire which was very useful , not sure if it out this year or not.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football