Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 06, 2012, 08:59:12 PM
No grapes here, wouldn't argue with facts, Loughgiel won the game fair and square but that goulin their supporters do reminds me of chimps, its like something you hear on the discovery channel. As far as the game goes the first half was brilliant hurling with some fantastic scores from both teams. Loughgiel threatened to run away with the game at the start of the second half and it didn't look good when Carson got sent off. Credit to our boys all the same got it back to 3 points on a couple of occasions but whatever chance we had with 15 we were never gonna win with 14, Loughgiel are too good at using the space. We got enough ball into our forwards to win the game but when its 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 we were never gonna get the scores. I wouldn't be that disappointed in our performance, at the end of the day we gave the All Ireland Champions a fright. If we happen to get past Dunloy we'd have a punchers chance in the final. Loughgiel aren't unbeatable.
You're correct JJ, we aren't unbeatable. It will take one hell of a performance to beat us however. We're hurling at about 70-75% right now. And I have to say, I thought we could have scored another 3 or 4 goals quite easily this evening. But as you say, it isn't a fair comparison when one team goes down to 14.

We're not thinking beyond the St. John's game now. Training will be upped and no quarter will be asked or given. They'll come at us all guns blazing no doubt. Should be a good game.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: auld stock on September 06, 2012, 09:24:21 PM
to be perfectly blunt loughguile have simply evolved into a better team than us. we are depending too heavily on shane & neil for scores whereas loughguiles 6 forwards all pose a threat. personally i feel that its theirs too lose. in saying that though it has been ours to lose a couple of times the last few years & we did manage to lose it. i think IF we get by dunloy we have to hope loughguile have a bad day but for me realistically we would travel more in hope than expectation. last two years there has only been a puck of the ball between the two teams, this year however i would expect loughguile to win apossible final by 7 or 8 points & thats not mind games. the truth does hurt & anyone from c'dall watching tonight will know that even though the scoreboard had us beat by 6 points, the reality is that there is much more between the two teams. time for us to throw some of the young emerging boys in at the deep end & let them learn. afraid to say it but we need a serious rebuilding the next couple of years. anyhow up the 'Dall!!!!

Fair play auld stock, decent report
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Cushendall have as good a defence as I have seen in Antrim club hurling. They just don't have a strong 6 forwards and are too dependent on too few.

Before Mcnaughton it was delargy - they've been the same for a good few years. It looked like a few younger boys like that fella brick would come through in forwards but just doesn't seem to have happened yet.

saffron89

still think the dall will have too much in the tank for Dunloy, they are in good physical shape and some strong hurlers just need to polish up a few areas, there team play is well behing the Shams.  As for the defence its solid but wouldn't get too excited tommygun.

we will see if this is the Shams at 75%, looking forward to them in county final against probably Dall but even if Dunloy either could put it up to them for a while and Shams will have to show they can kill them off by about 8/10 points now that would be impressive.

Shams should play in Casement against St Johns, think its only way they can get something positive out of playing that match, ie shooting practice into the goals

if they continue their upward curve they would take some beating in parnell this year.  But lose focus and they could yet be dumped out at end of September.

PJ for Antrim ? if they would take him, think he would be early yet, though unsure he could trumph his club achievements with a possible 3 in a row and strong semi show.

Have alot of time for Kevin Ryan but a mexican is maybe not want we need after the nutter who has now pulled out of the race for Kerry Manager

Dick, too early for him. let see him take Dunloy to a club final (reckon that would be some feat with current panel and future prospects)

Jonty is a nutter, but reckon he would give 100% and maybe worth a punt, could he be that much worse than what has went before ???

What about Sunday i take it alot of u hurlers on the ditch will be heading down, any chance Galway, what is the handicap

gelvis

Quote from: saffron89 on September 06, 2012, 11:25:08 PM

Shams should play in Casement against St Johns, think its only way they can get something positive out of playing that match, ie shooting practice into the goals

Its in Ballycastle on Sat 15th.  Not sure about the Dall/Dunloy one
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

Sleeping giant

Wouldn't read much into that tonight.   Jonty is the man to get the north Antrim men to pull together anyway.  But sure what can anyone do that others haven't   It's the hurlers that has to do that bit more together.   Handicap is 3 points, even money.  Could be a pumping for Galway if they don't keep it very tight at start.   Cats will be foaming at mouth to get at them
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: gelvis on September 06, 2012, 11:36:40 PM

Dunloy v cdall is in loughgiel.

Didn't get to the game the night but i would not read into it whatever way the result went the night.
I've seen enough of cdall and lgiel to know they aren't unbeatable so I take some confidence in that.

As for only playing at 75%? Lol yeah right. If they think that playing at level will win big ears then your deluded. Lgiel are playing at the level they have been the past 3 seasons. Their standards haven't dropped at all.
hurl like f**k boi!

Sleeping giant

Strong enough words there realist,  well good luck anyway, if dunloy win championship this year, it will be there greatest ever achievement IMO
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2012, 12:54:11 AM

Didn't get to the game the night but i would not read into it whatever way the result went the night.
I've seen enough of cdall and lgiel to know they aren't unbeatable so I take some confidence in that.

As for only playing at 75%? Lol yeah right. If they think that playing at level will win big ears then your deluded. Lgiel are playing at the level they have been the past 3 seasons. Their standards haven't dropped at all.
What I was getting at DR was that we're nowhere near playing at our best yet. We're not as sharp as we can be. There's a lot of work to be done in training yet.  There's no guarantee we'll get there either.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Jesusjones

SIE I'd honestly say that both teams went at it last night full pelt. Loughgiel got the rub of the green & we made 3 horrible mistakes which led to 3 goals, would we have let in the bad goals with our regular full back on the field? Loughgiel seemed to get away with things which we didn't, we got 4 yellow cards and I don't think Loughgiel got any. Eddie Mc Cluskey & Benny Mc Carry got away with over carrying a few times as well. Loughgiel were better than us last night but by a small margin and I certainly feel they got the luck on the night. By the way I was impressed with Ronan Mc Closkey tonight, he kept a tight eye on Shane Mc Naughton which is no mean feat.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on September 07, 2012, 06:09:07 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on September 07, 2012, 12:54:11 AM

What I was getting at DR was that we're nowhere near playing at our best yet. We're not as sharp as we can be. There's a lot of work to be done in training yet.  There's no guarantee we'll get there either.
I think a lot of teams can say that at this point in time. We were awful against ballycastle (no disrespect meant to ballycastle) and got through. So there's still a lot to be done of we want to even consider beating cdall.

Maybe the reason you think that loughgiel aren't at their full potential is sadly down the opposition they have met on the championship? Again I'm not meaning to be disrespectful but Rosas and glenariffe are div 2 teams and are there for a reason. They wouldn't pose any threat to good team like lgiel. St johns will give a better game but of they make the final, which I know they will, it will be their toughest game this year. Only then wil they see of they can move it up a gear.

Our side of the draw got us a very hard game with ballycastle and an even harder game after it. Maybe it's sometimes lucky to get the tougher side of the draw than the easy path?
hurl like f**k boi!

saffron89

Maybe the reason you think that loughgiel aren't at their full potential is sadly down the opposition they have met on the championship? Again I'm not meaning to be disrespectful but Rosas and glenariffe are div 2 teams and are there for a reason. They wouldn't pose any threat to good team like lgiel. St johns will give a better game but of they make the final, which I know they will, it will be their toughest game this year. Only then wil they see of they can move it up a gear.

Our side of the draw got us a very hard game with ballycastle and an even harder game after it. Maybe it's sometimes lucky to get the tougher side of the draw than the easy path?
[/quote]

i'd actually be surprised if the johnnies score as much as 4-10 against the shams.   Ballycastle, Johnnies, Oisins, Rossa very little between theses 4 teams, The town edged a few steps in front of the other 3 this year, but they are all on pretty close,

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be honest so would i. if the johnnies nailed that many scores against lgiel then they would be winning this game.

i dont think this game will be as loose as the glenariffe game was, i think that st johns will keep it tight until lgiel pull away and win handy enough at at the end up.

ballycastle are better than what their current league standing is. they have some great young players and i would say theey will get better as time goes on.

st johns are brutaly hard to beat in their own ground, we got away with a 1 point win, cushendall and other teams struggled there as well this year. the hurlings there in them, its just geting it to come together on the day is the problem for them.

glenariffe are an odd one. waaay to good for div 2 but struggle in Div 1 each year when they come back. dont understand that one at all. their league form in div 1 is far too inconsistent and they never get a good run going to keep them going in the year.
hurl like f**k boi!

viva the mccooey

Jonnies for the double this year. We have the best players, get a good venue draw in the city and the refs always give us the benefit of the doubt, one of the great things about being Antrims Aristocracy.   

Jesusjones

Keep taking the tablets Mc Cooey.