Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

I'd say the main reason Errigal Ciaran was formed in around 1990 was simply because of Peter Canavan. I can remember him playing for Glencull in 1989 and I'd never seen anything like it until then. It was Incredible.

Moonshine

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 19, 2022, 11:39:10 PM
Up until some time in the 80's there was the Ballygawley St. Ciaran's football club, the only club in the Parish of Errigal Ciaran. Due to a simmering row within the club (I understand coming to a head in a parish tournament), members from the Glencull townland & surrounding area of the parish broke away and formed their own club, but were never able to formally affiliate with the Tyrone county board. Eventually a local priest was brought in to mediate between the two clubs and in the early 90's an amalgamation was created to form Errigal Ciaran - essentially going back to the same catchment area as the Ballygawley club prior to Glencull breaking off. Glencull, Garvaghy, Altamuskin & Dunmoyle are just townlands in the parish, with Ballygawley being a townland & village. Sixmilecross is in the Beragh parish, but players from that area have been split between Beragh, Errigal Ciaran & Carrickmore. The village of Seskinore is also in the Beragh parish, but has traditionally stronger affinity with Fintona (which it is closer to by distance than Beragh). Suggestions about Eskra is a specific bone of contention.  8)

Errigal Ciaran have been fortunate to have tremendous buy-in from its local community which makes some think of it as a "superclub", but it's no more of a superclub than Fintona is today simply because other clubs & parish tournament teams have existed previously in our parish to include the Barr, Aughafad, Carnalea etc. whilst also "stealing" players from Seskinore.  :P

A man with some history and a bit of knowledge. Too the rest who have very little history does it mean if a club changed its name does it mean their amalgamated, by that reckoning in tyrone there must be another 5 or 6 "super clubs".

The question you should be asking is if carrickmore or errigal win in 2 weeks will we see another decade of finals dominated by the 2 clubs as they are both fairly young.

LeoMc

Quote from: Under Lights on October 19, 2022, 10:07:40 AM
Quote from: trailer on October 19, 2022, 09:48:54 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 18, 2022, 02:29:53 PM
Quote from: God14 on October 18, 2022, 01:46:55 PM
Quote from: WT4E on October 18, 2022, 01:19:02 PM
Obviously a bit of shithousing going on here but Errigal do have a serious squad when you consider the amount of county representation they have between youth and senior.

Even if they may get a soft pick or two you have to be a really good footballer to survive in that environment I would imagine and it should obviously improve your game.

They have 7 current panelists. Scratch the surface on that
GK - McAnenley. Despite being 30 odd year old hasnt ever started a game that wasnt Mckenna cup match for Tyrone.
Defence - Niall kelly - managed to start an ulster final due to covid ravaged absences, he hasnt appeared since (despite playing well) he must have max 2 senior championship appearances
Midfield - ben mcdonnell. County panelist for 4 seasons. yet to nail down a place. Has never convinced me. In fact i wouldnt have him near a tyrone panel.
Joe Oguz - 1 mckenna cup appearance.
Ruairi - obviously an absolute star - but he has yet to make his senior intercounty debut
Darragh - exciting player but yet to nail down a starting place in the county side after at least 3 full seasons.
That leaves Peter Harte who is a genuine A lister.

the rest of the panel is hardly something special either. There were no tears on the county thread when aidan mccrory retired, or ciaran mcginley jetted off to the middle east for work.

I think Errigal will win the county championhip, but to suggest they have one of the best squads in Ulster is complete nonsense. This will become all the more apparent when they bump into Slaughneil or Glen Wattys.

Surprised you could see the screen to type this out through your salty tears.

Aidy has put the myth of Paul Donaghy to bed.

Given EC is basically 4 clubs amalgamated they should win the lion share of Championships. Their recent record has been very poor for a "Super Club"

Congratulations on winning history trailer
A bit premature, there was a late winning entry by  Christmas lights.

trailer

Errigal have a well known history of stealing their neighbours best players. Peter Harte (Omagh), Eamon McCaffrey (Eskra), Peter Canavan (Killclogher). I am sure there are others. 

ClubScene13

Quote from: Moonshine on October 20, 2022, 07:11:09 AM
Up until some time in the 80's there was the Ballygawley St. Ciaran's football club, the only club in the Parish of Errigal Ciaran. Due to a simmering row within the club (I understand coming to a head in a parish tournament), members from the Glencull townland & surrounding area of the parish broke away and formed their own club, but were never able to formally affiliate with the Tyrone county board. Eventually a local priest was brought in to mediate between the two clubs and in the early 90's an amalgamation was created to form Errigal Ciaran - essentially going back to the same catchment area as the Ballygawley club prior to Glencull breaking off. Glencull, Garvaghy, Altamuskin & Dunmoyle are just townlands in the parish, with Ballygawley being a townland & village. Sixmilecross is in the Beragh parish, but players from that area have been split between Beragh, Errigal Ciaran & Carrickmore. The village of Seskinore is also in the Beragh parish, but has traditionally stronger affinity with Fintona (which it is closer to by distance than Beragh). Suggestions about Eskra is a specific bone of contention.  8)

Errigal Ciaran have been fortunate to have tremendous buy-in from its local community which makes some think of it as a "superclub", but it's no more of a superclub than Fintona is today simply because other clubs & parish tournament teams have existed previously in our parish to include the Barr, Aughafad, Carnalea etc. whilst also "stealing" players from Seskinore.  :P

A man with some history and a bit of knowledge. Too the rest who have very little history does it mean if a club changed its name does it mean their amalgamated, by that reckoning in tyrone there must be another 5 or 6 "super clubs".

The question you should be asking is if carrickmore or errigal win in 2 weeks will we see another decade of finals dominated by the 2 clubs as they are both fairly young.

If Carrickmore or Errigal win? Well one of them has to win it don't they? I'm no Carrickmore man but I'd safely say the vast majority of the county will take them lifting the O'Neill Cup over Arrogant Ciaran. Ye haven't dominated much in the last decade anyway, for all your numbers and catchment area. Good luck anyhow.

WT4E

Quote from: trailer on October 20, 2022, 09:13:59 AM
Errigal have a well known history of stealing their neighbours best players. Peter Harte (Omagh), Eamon McCaffrey (Eskra), Peter Canavan (Killclogher). I am sure there are others.

Jesus I laughed when I seen that. LOL

WT4E

Great post

The priest was the legendary Fr Sean Hegarty RIP I believe

square_ball

Superb stuff.

We need a weekly Tyrone GAA history post from Fionntamhnach.

Degrassi Hi

It is clear from the recent senior championship & league final that the football powerbase is now West Tyrone.
Given that Errigal parish is almost as large as a county - Would they be considered as being East Tyrone or West Tyrone in the old structure?

Moonshine

Quote from: trailer on October 20, 2022, 09:13:59 AM

Does Coalisland not have a strong history of this aswell

LeoMc

Quote from: Degrassi Hi on October 20, 2022, 01:30:37 PM
It is clear from the recent senior championship & league final that the football powerbase is now West Tyrone.
Given that Errigal parish is almost as large as a county - Would they be considered as being East Tyrone or West Tyrone in the old structure?

From this https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2021-11/parishes-in-county-tyrone.pdf they would look to be in the east with Clogher, Clogherney (Beragh) Cappagh and Badoney (Gortin) being the centre line.

Eire90

when do county leagues start again

Under Lights

Quote from: Eire90 on October 20, 2022, 06:27:00 PM
when do county leagues start again

Start date for 2023 league is mid July.

TyroneClubs

Eire90

is that a bit late did they not start before in febuary or march would it not be better to start earlier then have a month or 6 week break midway through league now you will have players not playing comepetive games for like 10 months