Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on October 31, 2014, 11:19:20 AM
What I have is a client that got SMA tarmac put down 6 months ago that is now starting to deteriorate where they turn the car. They wants to get the top coat tested to see if it is what its supposed to be.
Have you a contact number for her.

Firstly SMA is a better quality than standard Bitmac. Under no circumstances should it deteriorate after six months, they have obviously not supplied what they said they'd supply. The wearing course has probably been restricted to about 10-15mm instead of abut 40mm the base course may not be as deep as it should be and the base may not be compacted enough nor deep enough. the bottom line is SMA is a high quality product and if put down the proper guide line it should last 20 years.

What part of the country are you/they from?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hereiam

Dungannon. Do you know anyone that could take a look at it.

illdecide

Quote from: Hereiam on October 31, 2014, 01:00:31 PM
Dungannon. Do you know anyone that could take a look at it.

I sent you a PM earlier so u can email me a pic!!!
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

Quote from: HiMucker on October 28, 2014, 08:37:43 AM
Cheers lad, was thinking it might be over kill.  Thanks
The only other main consideration is that you don't block out the flow of air with the insulation installation. Just depends on the construction I suppose.
It's necessary to have good air circulation in the space between the insulation layer and the roof. doesn't matter if it's cold air circulating.

The Subbie

Quote from: illdecide on October 31, 2014, 12:39:31 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on October 31, 2014, 11:19:20 AM
What I have is a client that got SMA tarmac put down 6 months ago that is now starting to deteriorate where they turn the car. They wants to get the top coat tested to see if it is what its supposed to be.
Have you a contact number for her.

Firstly SMA is a better quality than standard Bitmac. Under no circumstances should it deteriorate after six months, they have obviously not supplied what they said they'd supply. The wearing course has probably been restricted to about 10-15mm instead of abut 40mm the base course may not be as deep as it should be and the base may not be compacted enough nor deep enough. the bottom line is SMA is a high quality product and if put down the proper guide line it should last 20 years.

What part of the country are you/they from?

It could be one of a few different things fellas, poor compaction when laid, thin layer like ill decide says or the more likely one is that it has been dosed with too much "cutter" probably kerosene.

What the cutter does is allows the boys doing the job to have the material workable for longer, intake it this was a hand lay job hereiam?

If it has been dosed with cutter, the cutter needs to evaporate to allow the SMA to cure, if the cutter didn't get a chance to evaporate then the gouging under the wheels is only the start of it and it will get worse.

From memory there is a lab test called asphalt content determination, this shows up exactly how much bitumen etc etc there is in a sample, if the boys have laced her with kerosene this will show up on this test as well.

Let us know how this one plays out,paving and tarmacing contractors just love it when someone lab tests their stuff.........

Hereiam

Thanks for the info.
I need to find out if it was machine or hand laid. I dont think there is enough binder in it tbh. One thing i was told is that when it rains the water doesn't puddle on it at all its like the water is soaking through it. Would that be a worry

The Subbie

Quote from: Hereiam on November 01, 2014, 12:12:30 AM
Thanks for the info.
I need to find out if it was machine or hand laid. I dont think there is enough binder in it tbh. One thing i was told is that when it rains the water doesn't puddle on it at all its like the water is soaking through it. Would that be a worry

If it's supposed to be SMA then yes, SMA should be 99%impermeable, all the water on the road surface should drain to gullies etc, it should never soak through, first good nights frost will lift it.

omagh_gael

Looking some advice here and I thought this was the most appropriate place for it. We bought our own house (New build that was vacant for approx 3 year for 62k) three years ago. My father in law has had a turn in health recently and my partner is keen to look at the option of buying a site of my father in law and building on his land. I spoke to the estate agent we bought of and he said.he would put our house on the market for 80k. After fees etc I would hope to come out with close to 20k for a follow on deposit.

My questions are:

1. Is there a mortgage out there for new builds? Are these hard to obtain?

2. My father in law bought his house and land recently and is under the impression that (a few.years ago) there was a site advertised on the land he bought. Is it possible to track this down? If this was the case would it be easier to go through the process of obtaining planning permission for a new site?

3. Finally, I have no clue about how much it is to build a house. Roughly speaking how much would a four bed bungalow cost. Wouldn't have a clue where to start re square footage. Would a four bed two story increase the cost majorly?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 06, 2014, 11:16:18 AM
Looking some advice here and I thought this was the most appropriate place for it. We bought our own house (New build that was vacant for approx 3 year for 62k) three years ago. My father in law has had a turn in health recently and my partner is keen to look at the option of buying a site of my father in law and building on his land. I spoke to the estate agent we bought of and he said.he would put our house on the market for 80k. After fees etc I would hope to come out with close to 20k for a follow on deposit.

My questions are:

2. My father in law bought his house and land recently and is under the impression that (a few.years ago) there was a site advertised on the land he bought. Is it possible to track this down? If this was the case would it be easier to go through the process of obtaining planning permission for a new site?

3. Finally, I have no clue about how much it is to build a house. Roughly speaking how much would a four bed bungalow cost. Wouldn't have a clue where to start re square footage. Would a four bed two story increase the cost majorly?

by no means an expert on the topic but:

1. yes, and can be yes, best to speak to a  mortgage broker.

2.Just because there used to be a site there doesnt mean it will be granted again if the planning has expired, but worth looking into. Try geopii.com  you can seach planning applictaion (since 2010 )by map . or you can try the planning portal website.

3.if anything a two story of similar sq footage would be cheaper to build than a bungalow (broadly speaking) you are probably looking at anything from 2000-2500 sq feet depending on how big you want it (obviously you could go alot bigger than this too)

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

My questions are:

1.There are still self build mortgages out there where you'd get staged payments as the build progresses, not sure who does them though, but I think Alliance and Leicester may do them. I'm sure you'll have to jump through some amount of hoops to get one now.
2. Your local planning office could tell you, but remember planning applications lapse after 3 or 5 years, I can't remember, may be dependent on whether it was an outline or full application.
3. New building regs require very high insulation requirements and whilst a good thing to do will push the costs up so I'd be expecting more than the normally quoted £50 per square foot than some contractors used to quote.

theskull1

Looking some advice on attic insulation

There's 8ftx2ft chipboard flooring on a portion of my attic (for storage). Problem is there was never any insulation laid between the joists before they got nailed down by the builder. Because of the braces between the roof timbers I cant easily get insulation into the whole ceiling void covered by the chipbord and I'm thinking I would nearly need to tear up the floor to do so which I wouldnt want to do (I don't think so anyway). Has anyone any possible solutions to getting this area insulated with the least hassle (possibly kingspan on top of the floor maybe?) We're talking about 15-20 square meters

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

macdanger2

If the chipboard is only screwed down, it shouldn't be a big deal to unscrew it and lay insulation? If it's nailed down on the other hand, it'll be hassle.

From the Bunker

If the Chipboard is nailed down then the easier solution is the insulate between the rafters. The Heat with be kept in! Just it will be at another level and your attic will be warmer, more aired and more comfortable to move things into.

seafoid

My questions are:

selfbuild.ie is a very good site and it is 32 county. They also have a magazine
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Aughafad

Quote from: Hereiam on October 31, 2014, 09:50:04 AM
Does anyone know anywhere that you can get Tarmac tested to see if the correct mix was used. I know Queens can test concrete but can they test Tarmac
Mattest in Dunmurry are probably the best for testing for tar macadam. Ive used them quite a few times with the company i work for.

With regards to some of the statements on SMA given here, I've used and worked with it since it first came on the market and i have a few points to share,
1. SMA was never designed for driveways, it was designed for motorways and dual carriageways as it is quieter when trafficked, and most importantly it moves water of the surface very quickly preventing aquaplaning. It is a misnomer that it allows water through it when in actual fact the top surface is very open due to 14mm stone used in manufacturing it allowing rain water to sink into the surface and vehicles then to push it towards the verges.

2.SMA should only be machine laid due to the high bitumen content and difficulty in working it or elasticity. A lot of companies will hand lay it for you but and i stress this point, it takes a very good "raker" to get it right.

3.Regarding depths, the NIRAUC specifications state that 60mm/40mm (base/wearing course)split for category 4 roads which most back roads and side in ireland fall under but for SMA its generally 70/30. For driveways most contractors will quote for 100mm of type 1 sub base(Stone) and then a total of 70mm for bituminous products(40/30).

4. Finally why choose to SMA on a driveway when it is easily the most expensive, asphalt or Bitmac would suffice and look and perform just as well. Tarmac quarries tend to only do runs of SMA when the road service contractor are doing a large motorway resurfacing job as small batches don't pay so chances are that if the area isn't at all that big the SMA you received may have been laying in the hopper for awhile and starting to go off.