Lee Keegan - Player of the year or spoiler of the year?

Started by Fuzzman, May 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Lee Keegan pours cold water on 'false rumour' he has been diagnosed with serious illness
But the Mayo defender will miss the majority of the 2018 league campaign after undergoing two hip operations

THE 2016 FOOTBALLER of the Year Lee Keegan looks set to miss most of next season’s National League campaign after recent hip surgery, but the Mayo defender has scotched ‘a false rumour’ that he has been diagnosed with a serious illness.

Keegan underwent two separate surgical procedures on each of his hips to correct ‘wear and tear’ damage earlier this month, and is likely to be out of action for between four and five months as he rehabilitates from those operations.

However, he said he felt the need to ‘clarify the situation’ after his family had been ‘upset’ by recent rumours in GAA circles that the 28 year-old had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, a condition that affects the central nervous system.

“I’m feeling great, body wise and health wise I’m brilliant, and the operations on my hips went really well,” explained the four-time All Star winner.

“I definitely can confirm that I don’t have MS, which is a very serious condition and something that really shouldn’t be discussed in the manner that it has been.

“Just in terms of my family being asked about my health, I felt it was important to clarify the situation. I’m 100% fine and healthy, and thankfully have no illness like that.

“I was disappointed to see my family upset by the rumours,” he added.

“And it’s not nice for people who do have MS, for my name to be thrown around in conversations like that, with false rumours.

“I was disappointed that a false story like that went around so quick, and I just wanted people to know that it wasn’t true.”

Keegan’s two keyhole surgeries on his right and left hips come after a season where he was also struck down by cellulitis in his foot before Mayo’s All-Ireland SFC quarter-final against Roscommon.

This latest injury issue means that the Westport clubman is to miss the majority of Mayo’s National League matches next spring as the recovery period is expected to rule him out of action for at least the first four rounds.

“From chatting to the consultant, it’s quite common now in the GAA,” he admitted.

“You’re looking at around four or five months out, depending on the recovery, but I’m lucky that I’ve got a great medical team around me with Mayo.

“So if it all goes well, I’ll be looking to get back a bit sooner.

“I hate missing games, I love playing for Mayo and putting on the jersey.”

Mayo begin their Division 1 league campaign away to Monaghan in Clones on Sunday, January 28.

This year’s beaten All-Ireland finalists will face Galway in the Connacht SFC on Sunday, May 13 in Castlebar.

http://www.the42.ie/lee-keegan-illness-rumours-3709301-Nov2017/
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Your foot and hip have been fecked, like hell are you 100% Lee. Hip injuries are just something you manage, you never get back the same again even in the best case scenario.

The MS stuff is disgusting, though.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2017, 01:48:36 AM
Your foot and hip have been fecked, like hell are you 100% Lee. Hip injuries are just something you manage, you never get back the same again even in the best case scenario.

Didn't seem to curtail him too much in last year's AI final?

Farrandeelin

I heard about the hip operations the same time as I heard about the MS shite as an 'either or' rumour so I didn't know what to think. It's a sad indictment of the intercounty game that one of the top players has to have hip surgery before he's 30. You would wonder where these ridiculous rumours come from. Thank God it was only a rumour.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 22, 2017, 08:31:09 AM
I heard about the hip operations the same time as I heard about the MS shite as an 'either or' rumour so I didn't know what to think. It's a sad indictment of the intercounty game that one of the top players has to have hip surgery before he's 30. You would wonder where these ridiculous rumours come from. Thank God it was only a rumour.
Heard a doctor on the radio recently had to operate on both hips on an underage player on a county U15 panel most likely due to overtraining.

Gael85

Horrible to see people spreading rumours about Lee Keegan health.

Orchard park

Pat Carton in Whitfeld making a fair living out of claiming to get lads back 100% from hio surgery

orangeman

Quote from: Orchard park on November 22, 2017, 01:48:19 PM

Pat Carton in Whitfeld making a fair living out of claiming to get lads back 100% from hio surgery

Some solicitor will make a fortune in future taking a case for these injuries caused by excessive gaa related training.

macdanger2

Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2017, 11:33:59 AM

Some solicitor will make a fortune in future taking a case for these injuries caused by excessive gaa related training.

I'm not so sure - it's all voluntary after all unlike other sports where players have received redress

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 23, 2017, 11:35:18 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2017, 11:33:59 AM

I'm not so sure - it's all voluntary after all unlike other sports where players have received redress

Being able to sue or not it's utterly disgusting that hardly one at any level tells a player to stop.

Every team's personal interest seems to come first, even at club level where we hear the most bleating about your club being your family. Short-termism is alive and well in the GAA.

The scourge of painkilling injections so injured players can even take the field has never been addressed either.

Zulu

It's not the managers fault, it's the system. We have people wanting dual players at IC level, complaining about 16/17 year olds now not being able to field at adult level, the new U20 IC level etc. when these are all steps by the GAA to reduce the load on young players.

Every player should only be able to play one level and one code at IC level in a year, simple.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on November 23, 2017, 12:06:23 PM
It's not the managers fault, it's the system. We have people wanting dual players at IC level, complaining about 16/17 year olds now not being able to field at adult level, the new U20 IC level etc. when these are all steps by the GAA to reduce the load on young players.

Every player should only be able to play one level and one code at IC level in a year, simple.

Like fûck it isn't the manager's fault too.

Zulu

Managers are in an impossible situation and many of them are under qualified amateurs trying their best. They are put in an impossible situation, solve the system and managers become a very minor part of the issue.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on November 23, 2017, 12:23:10 PM
Managers are in an impossible situation and many of them are under qualified amateurs trying their best. They are put in an impossible situation, solve the system and managers become a very minor part of the issue.

If a lad is injured or overworked he shouldn't be playing or training. It is that simple, and that easy.

If you care about the players.

Zulu

Overtraining and minor niggles are difficult to diagnose. The problem is rarely that a seriously injured player is playing, though that still happens. The problem arises out of poor training schedules, lack of proper recovery, travelling large distances for training, poor biomechanics etc. Reducing the number of teams a player plays on won't solve all those issues but will massively help reduce the negative impact of these.