Offaly v Wicklow/ Louth v Carlow - Double Header Portlaoise Sunday 13th May

Started by AZOffaly, May 11, 2018, 12:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: LooseCannon on May 17, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2018, 03:22:34 PM
In fairness to the CB, they have done good work on the facilities front. The Faithful Fields was a visionary project, and is a brilliant facility. It looks the business from the roadside, and the pitches are lovely. Apparently the facilities in there are good as well, gym etc.

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/smcmahon/offalys-new-centre-excellence-looks-absolutely-incredible/

I know. I gave my own small contribution. But it was a co board vision and it's a good sign to see them allowing competent people to run it. If only they'd do the same with our teams!!

Their record of sticking with managers, or supporting them, is far weaker however. I'm not sure if it's the personalities involved or what, but they have a real blind spot when it comes to backing managers, or picking the right ones to begin with. They obviously don't pay massive 'expenses' so perhaps the big names are out of their league, but they seem to fall between two stools. Don't pick a big name, and pick lads with 'projects' and then when there's a setback, bottle it and get rid of him.

That was organised by Kieran Keenaghan, Duignan, Colm Cummins, Sod Daly, etc.
They went around getting money from companies such as Grennan's and Banagher Concrete.

seafoid

Michael Duignan‏ @DuignanMichael · 14 may
I'm not a big fan of the Offaly football management but their appointment  by our County Board is the real issue once again. We have way bigger problems. It's a massive embarrassment for a once great County. #timeforchange

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2018, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 17, 2018, 04:27:46 PM
They went after Jack O'Connor who was the one who put them onto Wallace.

The spiteful so and so.

Seriously, I don't think they'd be in the league for Jack.

Not many are. And after all the years he's put into Kerry recently you'd imagine there's only one job he's interested in.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 18, 2018, 09:33:20 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2018, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 17, 2018, 04:27:46 PM
They went after Jack O'Connor who was the one who put them onto Wallace.

The spiteful so and so.

Seriously, I don't think they'd be in the league for Jack.

Not many are. And after all the years he's put into Kerry recently you'd imagine there's only one job he's interested in.

Kildare?
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Wallace is making sure as many people hear his side of the story as possible, he's been on OFB, RTE News & Wooly's podcast.

Jinxy

Quote from: Jinxy on May 14, 2018, 10:48:21 AM
It's a bit rich Brendan Murphy taking offence at Paddy O'Rourke saying Carlow have no chance of winning anything (I'm paraphrasing) in the current system, and then he disappears to America for the summer.

https://twitter.com/BrendanMurphy17/status/964484764450410498

James Dolan from Westmeath (vice-captain) heading Stateside as well.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/huge-blow-for-westmeath-as-vicecaptain-departs-for-us-36919383.html

Have the transfer rules made things worse, i.e. players are now opting to go at the start of summer instead of after they are knocked out?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

GalwayBayBoy

Well now. This is something.

Irish Examiner columnist Paul Rouse is set to be appointed new manager of the Offaly footballers, it has emerged.

The UCD history lecturer is a two-time County Championship winner with Tullamore in 2000 and 2002 and will lead a new management team for the duration of Offaly's involvement in this summer's Championship.

The decision is expected to be ratified on Saturday as the Offaly County Board bid to move past the controversial departure of Stephen Wallace from the position in the wake of last Sunday's Leinster SFC defeat to Wicklow.

Rouse, 47, is likely to be joined in the management team by his brother John, who guided Tullamore to SFC success in the county five years ago, 1982 All-Ireland winner Stephen Darby, who guided Rhode to a three-in-a-row of Offaly football titles and Darby's clubmate Alan McNamee.

Offaly are slated to play their first-round qualifier game on June 9, with Rouse tasked with getting the county's footballers back on track after last Sunday's defeat.

The loss means that Offaly have still only one won Leinster championship game since 2007 – against Longford.

Dinny Breen

Paul Rouse comes across has an awful arsehole any time I heard him on OTB.  He will soon find it's harder to live by your values than it is sit in a studio and preach about values. However fair play he's putting himself out there..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 19, 2018, 08:06:33 AM
Paul Rouse comes across has an awful arsehole any time I heard him on OTB.  He will soon find it's harder to live by your values than it is sit in a studio and preach about values. However fair play he's putting himself out there..

He opinionated but he's a good lad. He's also fairly straight so I expect Offaly to give a walkover if the qualifier game is on Sky 😀

Jinxy

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LooseCannon

Quote from: Jinxy on May 19, 2018, 11:52:58 AM
Strange choice.
Has he managed a club team recently/ever?
Stephen Darby won 3 Offaly SFC in a row as manager of Rhode.
John Rouse (Paul's brother) guided Tullamore to an Offaly title a few years ago, and is in charge of them this year.
Alan McNamee captained Rhode to 6 Offaly SFC(he's won 3 or 4 more since)
Rouse won 2 SFC with Tullamore as a player.
Not bad.

Jinxy

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2018, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 19, 2018, 08:06:33 AM

He opinionated but he's a good lad. He's also fairly straight so I expect Offaly to give a walkover if the qualifier game is on Sky 😀

I'm sure it was Rouse who said on OFB he didn't rate Michael Donnellan?