Shell to Sea

Started by blast05, August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guy crouchback

some craic out in Balinaboy last night. i could clearly see the light from the flares  from the gas release from my house in Ballina about 40/50 miles away, it  must have been fairly unsettling if you were living locally.

Mayo4Sam

I heard Maura Harrington on the radio saying this was proof the gas shouldn't have been let in FFS

An operational f**k up that will affect literally nobody
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 22, 2017, 11:40:12 PM
I heard Maura Harrington on the radio saying this was proof the gas shouldn't have been let in FFS

Tell that to the people in ballina hospital scrambling for plumbers to switch their supply to bottled gas
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 23, 2017, 12:58:28 AM

Tell that to the people in ballina hospital scrambling for plumbers to switch their supply to bottled gas

There is literally nobody in Ballina hospital because of this.
They add a smell to gas so you can notice if it is leaking in your house. The gas that they let go through is mixing with the gas already in the pipeline, so its unlikely to even be odourless.

But sure post away about something you clearly know f**k all squared about

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 23, 2017, 07:51:29 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 23, 2017, 12:58:28 AM

There is literally nobody in Ballina hospital because of this.
They add a smell to gas so you can notice if it is leaking in your house. The gas that they let go through is mixing with the gas already in the pipeline, so its unlikely to even be odourless.

But sure post away about something you clearly know f**k all squared about

I will post slowly so you can understand.

There are people in ballina hospital.
They're is no gas in ballina hospital
Cue scrambling for plumbers to disconnect the mains and connect gas bottles.

Thou stated that this was an operational fk up that would affect literally nobody. It's not.
I work in oil and gas. I  other countries the industry is heavily regulated however the same safe guards and processes are either not in place or not regulated in Ireland.

But sure you know better
Hasta la victoria siempre

Mayo4Sam

I work in gas, in Ireland, so excuse me if I don't bow to your knowledge. In fact I've worked for regulation for the TSO

No need to disconnect the mains either, anyone can turn it off at the supply point.

I'm sure Ballina hospital has a back up, if it doesn't I'm sure nobody will die from cold, its 17 degrees today. If its the cooking I'm sure somewhere in Ballina can provide food for a couple of days. You were portraying it as there were injured people in Ballina hospital, nice and ambiguous there.

As I said this isn't a regulatory issue its an operational one. Adding odour to the gas is included in the regulations, if you want to check it out look up V5.1 of the code, page 31

the gas shall be odourised in accordance with the following specification:
- Odour intensity of 2 olfactory degrees on the SALES Scale (Ref- IGE/SR/16/1989)

So like you see its regulated, its an operational f**k up. And it will affect no one unless there is a gas leak in the couple of days this gas is in the system, that gas leak would have to be completely uncontaminated with odoured gas, does that make sense, it all goes into one big pipe, the odourless stuff is a portion of what is in that pipe, it mixes.

armaghniac

I don't understand the flares though. Why not just add some odour to the gas?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

How does our gas regulatory regime compare to other countries. Can it be bought off like, say, our planning processes?

Denn Forever

Will be reimporting now due to the latest fuel crisis?  We don't own this right?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...