The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Congratulations to two fellow Harps men who were in receipt of awards at the County Dinner last night in the Carrickdale Hotel.

Our esteemed President, Sean Hart Senior, received a Lifetime Achievement award in honour of many years of service to both Club and County and Declan Coulter was named County Senior Hurler of the year. Declan plays his hurling with Armagh Cuchulainns and represented not only Cuchulianns and Armagh, but also Ulster in the Railway Cup and Ireland (against Scotland) in the hurling/shinty. Congratulations to both on these well deserved accolades.

Armagh Exile

Rufus,
Any other award winners last night?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Armagh Exile on December 02, 2006, 09:02:30 PM
Rufus,
Any other award winners last night?

Sorry exile - only know those two - I think Ballymacnab won the Club of the Year award.

Rufus T Firefly

Harps v Ballymacnab

Champions Harps made it safely through to the next round of the Under 21 Championship with a hard fought victory over Ballymacnab in difficult conditions at Abbey Park this morning. Thankfully the torrential rain and thunder and lightning that had battered the city an hour and a half before throw in had abated, although a gale force wind blew into the dressing room goals.

Harps played into the gale in the first half and started promisingly, with Joe Quigley pointing a free early on. Ballymacnab though quickly found their feet and with the help of the breeze began to dominate. They could not make this dominance count and had three wides from scoreable frees before they opened their account on ten minutes with a point. Harps were still under the cosh and were thankful for some great defensive play from Ciaran Clifford and Martin McCoy. Harps regained the lead against the run of play when Declan Coulter fielded a kick out and set up Joe Quigley for a point from play. Harps began having more of the play at this stage thanks to excellent play through the middle from the midfield pairing of Simon Lennon and Nippy along with centre half forward Declan Coulter. Nippy was fielding impressively in the middle although the team as a whole was guilty of over elaborating in an attempt to retain possession. Ballymacnab still looked threatening and managed to edge ahead just before half time with consecutive points from frees. The one point lead was of little comfort for the 'nab, as they turned to face the gale – the really telling statistic was their eight first half wides. 

Half time, Harps 0-02, Ballymacnab 0-03.

Harps hit the front almost immediately on the restart. A long ball out of defence found full forward Kevin Kelly in space. His first shot was blocked but he managed to gather the rebound and shoot to the net. Charlie Vernon had a point after a great run and this was followed up with points from Darren Ward and a Kevin Kelly fifty. It was all Harps at this stage, although to be fair Ballymacnab defended heroically. Martin McCoy pointed a monstrous effort from beyond the fifty-yard line to give the Harps a six point lead. Ballymacnab refused to buckle and began to get the ball forward more often, and had the next two points (one a free). They kept pressing and Harps were indebted to a brilliant John Daly save. Harps made the most of this let off and Declan Coulter put Charlie Vernon through the middle for a great goal. This score seemed to rattle the 'nab and three points followed from Joe Quigley, Kevin Kelly (a free) and Simon Lennon. Ballymacnab keeper Sean Hughes, playing against his old team mates, made a great save from Charlie Vernon. Ballymacnab to their credit kept going to the end, and finished the scoring late on with a goal and a point. Unfortunately for them, it was too little too late.

Final score, Harps 2-09, Ballymacnab 1-06.

After a long time waiting, Harps will have been glad to get their campaign started. Harps made the game difficult for themselves throughout, although they were deserving of their victory. Best for the Harps were Declan Coulter, Nippy Swift, Simon Lennon, Ciaran Clifford and Martin McCoy. The Harps fielded as follows, John Daly, Karl Grimes, Ciaran Clifford, Fergus McAleavey, Martin McCoy 0-1, Charlie Vernon 1-1, Smackers McAnaney, Simon Lennon 0-1, Nippy Swift, Joe Quigley 0-3 (0-1 free), Declan Coulter, Cormac Toner, Darren Ward 0-1, Kevin Kelly 1-2 (0-1 '50', 0-1 free) and Liam Devlin. Substitutes used were Conal O'Hara and Mark McConville. 

pintsofguinness

I would have dumbed down that report for orchardcounty rufus.  :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 03, 2006, 11:05:03 PM
I would have dumbed down that report for orchardcounty rufus.  :-\

:D :D :D

Nice one my friend - there's a few 'interesting' contributors there alright!  ;)

full back

Jeez, that is one site that has gone to the dogs-big time.
It wasnt too bad about a year ago but it is terrible now, some of the comments are unreal

High Catch

bennydorano

Rufus dont know how you can mention who played well and leave out Vernon :o MOTM by a longshot, some other fine performances, young McCoy looks a great prospect.

It's a pity we've lost 4 lads to Oz and Peadar not playing is going to make it very hard to retain our title.

Imposerous

Benny - who are the 4 guys in Oz who would have been eligible?

Will Coulter be an U-21 footballer this year, or will the hurling be his first priority?

BenDover

Quote from: Imposerous on December 04, 2006, 12:55:45 PM
Will Coulter be an U-21 footballer this year, or will the hurling be his first priority?
Why would he give up the football when so far this year he's been able to fit in both codes?

Imposerous

Ben - I would have thought that the committment county managers now require would have taken the choice to play both codes out of Coulter's hands and that he'd have to concentrate on one, especially as Armagh hurling is stepping up to senior.

As well as that, Coulter has been well decorated for his hurling exploits and may feel that playing both codes at the level he is may come at the detriment to one.  In this instance, would hurling be he preference?  Are these unreasonable suggestions?

BenDover

I didn't say they were unreasonable, for as long as I've known Decy, I actually think he was born with a hurl in his hands but it has only been in this past few years that his footballing ability has been mentioned. As for the county management taking the choice out of his hands I don't know about that sure Paul McCormick gets plenty of leeway with regards his footballing interests.

bennydorano

Quote from: Imposerous on December 04, 2006, 12:55:45 PM
Benny - who are the 4 guys in Oz who would have been eligible?

Bambi jr, Kyle McGuigan, Johhny Killen and Sean Morrison.  Coulter played CHF yesterday, good game as well, don't know if he's in the reckoning for County U21 football.

Imposerous

Ben - I just don't want to see someone lost to football who has a genuine chance of contributing to what could be a very good county U-21 side.  I know quite a few of the South Armagh lads and we could have the makings of a good U-21 side this year.  By all accounts he appears to be a natural athlete.

As you seem to know Coulter, it would appear that hurling is his first love, but would you say that he would forgo the football should such a decision have to be made.  I don't know if that is that hypothetical a question because, while you offer the Paul McCormack case as evidence, he was rarely a starter on the football team.  And it could be a suggested that the hurling management were happy to have him attend football to supplement his fitness training, whereas Coulter could likely be getting regular football with the U-21s and the risk of injury may lead to management intervention.  Unlikely, perhaps.

Are Swift and Toal eligible for county U-21s this year?