Guitar Lessons

Started by Mayo4Sam, January 21, 2008, 10:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Anyone know where i could get these in dublin?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Teach yourself - much more fun

Mayo4Sam

Not for me, Mrs M4S
Not a musical note in this head
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: stephenite on January 21, 2008, 10:37:14 PM
Teach yourself - much more fun

Agreed, the best way to do it and a lot cheaper. Loads of sites on the net which give free instruction and even more that give the chords and tabs (easy to learn way of reading music for guitar) of any song you ever liked.

Try guitarnoise.com. All you need is a full iPod and some patience and you'll figure it out.

Get an electronic guitar tuner also if you don't have one.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Even if you know someone that plays the guitar - get them to teach her the major chords, after that it's a matter of practice till your hand is about to fall off. I seriously think lessons are a waste of time and money, unless you're trying to play classical guitar or something.

Puckoon

If you just want to have fun, teach yourself. If you have aspirations, and get to a road block, get lessons. Ive taught myself as much of everything as I could, until the laziness kicked in and I settled for the level I am at.

Im sure in dublin if you go into any music shop, they will have flyers for lessons. Or the local classified.

Still its hard to beat learning it yourself.

Zapatista

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 21, 2008, 10:33:46 PM
Anyone know where i could get these in dublin?

I took a few lessons from a guy on Blackhorse Avn, I couldn't tell you if he was any good as I've no comparison. I bought a acoustic Guitar for about E100. It was good enough for me. I got a mate who plays all the time and he told me it was difficult to play with  and advised me to buy a classical guitar as they're easier to use. I did and he was right. It only cost me E100 too.

Puckoon

A classical guitar is easier, but an electric is easier again. Trouble is that nothing prepares you like playing a good acoustic guitar, which unless you are going to be a flamenco player is what you will need to end up using.
A huge thing you want to look out for (especially for a lady) is the action of the guitar. That is the distance from the strings to the fretboard (i.e. the distance you need to press the strings down to make a perfect connection). I learned on a guitar with high action, and ill be honest, if it wasnt for the delusion of kurt cobainesque fame and fortune (which never materialised) Id have given up due to the serious pain in the fingertips from having to press the strings so far.

Acoustic is the best preparation for any kind of guitar playing. If you can play an acoustic, you can play anything.

Cllr Willie Power

Mayo4Sam - pm me please. I'll always help a fellow Countyman (or his missus) out...  ;)

thejuice

I think a few lessons are a good to get you of the ground, if you can get a friend to teach you for cheap go for it, but a proper lesson isnt bad either. I remember paying IRĀ£8 a lesson which was a big chunk of my meagre wages.

But after they're comfortable with the basic chords its better to teach yourself by learning songs you like via the internet. And before you know it she'll be belting out the Ace Of Spades turned up to 11!!!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Donagh

The noticeboards at the entrance to Trinity are full of people offering lessons. The Dublin School of Music offer more structured courses:

http://www.dublinschoolofmusic.com/course_detail.php?ID=2&ID2=2

Moose

Have been learning myself for the last two and a half years, and while its been slow at times I'm coming along with it, getting lessons would have been handier for a while as it would have pointed out some of the things I was doing wrong early on instead of going down blind alleyways as I did. But then I think the advice to just get the tabs/chords, stick on a song and try and play along is the best option. I tried learning songs too exactly and it takes the spontaneity out of it(with note for note/strum spelled out). Anyways good luck with the guitar(and take Puckoon's advice, housemate got a guitar and the strings were a fair distance from the fretboard, ridiculously hard to play, why make it more difficult than it has to be)

thejuice

Quote from: Moose on January 22, 2008, 11:10:33 AM
Have been learning myself for the last two and a half years, and while its been slow at times I'm coming along with it, getting lessons would have been handier for a while as it would have pointed out some of the things I was doing wrong early on instead of going down blind alleyways as I did. But then I think the advice to just get the tabs/chords, stick on a song and try and play along is the best option. I tried learning songs too exactly and it takes the spontaneity out of it(with note for note/strum spelled out). Anyways good luck with the guitar(and take Puckoon's advice, housemate got a guitar and the strings were a fair distance from the fretboard, ridiculously hard to play, why make it more difficult than it has to be)

Ive been playing guitar 10+ years and I cant play anything note for note and it doesnt bother me in the slightest, I prefer re-interpreting songs or coming up with my own stuff.

Im happy to know there are other guitarists on here. Favourite songs/riffs to play for me would be:
Sunshine of Your Love - Cream,
Hot For Teacher - Van Halen,
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Bolero - Ravel
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Sorry - I have to step in here on behalf of music lovers everywhere.

Please, nobody mention the "Stairway to Heaven" riff.

Billys Boots

QuoteAnd before you know it she'll be belting out the Ace Of Spades turned up to 11!!!

I wouldn't think you'd need any lessons to do that - nice big fuzzbox, tune to open-E, and off ye go.  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...