American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Is it correct that if the Pats win the Superbowl they will equal the record set by the Steelers? Or has another won it more?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 22, 2018, 10:23:55 PM
Is it correct that if the Pats win the Superbowl they will equal the record set by the Steelers? Or has another won it more?

They'd equal the Steelers' Super Bowl record but the Packers have 13 NFL championships, the league itself predates the Super Bowl which originally came into exsistence as an intra-league bowl game between the NFL and AFL champions.

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 22, 2018, 06:42:33 PM
What day of the week is it? Monday. No, it's Stewsday--Pats win, Vikings lose

You bet your sweet ass its stewsday orais, watched every minute of both games, made a few quid again and am happy enough, Brady is going to his eighth superbowl! Incredible.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on January 22, 2018, 11:27:34 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 22, 2018, 10:23:55 PM

They'd equal the Steelers' Super Bowl record but the Packers have 13 NFL championships, the league itself predates the Super Bowl which originally came into exsistence as an intra-league bowl game between the NFL and AFL champions.

Cheers Syf.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TabClear

Brady is a machine. To be playing at that level when you are over 40 is incredible. Amendola was an absolute star on Sunday, the TD catch at the end and the ability to get his feet down was fantastic.  Feel sorry for the jags, Bortles had a couple of throws down the sideline in the last couple of drives that were inches off and could have been the difference. Great defensive play by Gilmour at the end though.

Its hard to see Philly matching the Patriots. Foles is an underrated Quarterback in my opinion and he has the weapons to hurt the Pats but i just think the big game experience of New England will be too much especially if Gronk is back. Pats by 8.

magpie seanie

Quote from: TabClear on January 23, 2018, 10:43:05 AM
Brady is a machine. To be playing at that level when you are over 40 is incredible. Amendola was an absolute star on Sunday, the TD catch at the end and the ability to get his feet down was fantastic.  Feel sorry for the jags, Bortles had a couple of throws down the sideline in the last couple of drives that were inches off and could have been the difference. Great defensive play by Gilmour at the end though.

Its hard to see Philly matching the Patriots. Foles is an underrated Quarterback in my opinion and he has the weapons to hurt the Pats but i just think the big game experience of New England will be too much especially if Gronk is back. Pats by 8.

People forget how good Cooks and Amendola are. They're top class NFL receivers and have excelled elsewhere. This isn't a knock on Brady in any way, he's amazing, but the way some folk go on you'd think he only had wheelie bins to throw to when Gronk got injured.

AZOffaly

I was listening to a podcast on the way up to Dublin last night, and one of the presenters just casually threw out a stat, which when you think about it is incredible: Tom Brady has started for the New England Patriots for 16 years. He has made the SUPERBOWL, not the playoffs, in 50% of those years.

That's simply incredible.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 23, 2018, 10:54:19 AM
I was listening to a podcast on the way up to Dublin last night, and one of the presenters just casually threw out a stat, which when you think about it is incredible: Tom Brady has started for the New England Patriots for 16 years. He has made the SUPERBOWL, not the playoffs, in 50% of those years.

That's simply incredible.

Saw something similar that he has appeared in 15% of all Superbowls
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2018, 10:47:21 AM

People forget how good Cooks and Amendola are. They're top class NFL receivers and have excelled elsewhere. This isn't a knock on Brady in any way, he's amazing, but the way some folk go on you'd think he only had wheelie bins to throw to when Gronk got injured.

Thats bollocks Seanie, no one I know of thinks that!

TabClear

Quote from: stew on January 23, 2018, 11:25:39 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2018, 10:47:21 AM

Thats bollocks Seanie, no one I know of thinks that!

Maybe not but I get where Seanie is coming from, the SkySports pundits were ready to hand the title to the Jags at halftime if Gronk didnt return.

redhandofgod

Awww boys, Brady is special!!!! He hasn't had Edelman all season either!

magpie seanie

Syferus

In fairness Amendola has never even had a 700 yard season. He's just ably filling in the slot role Welker had back in the day, and the one he was ear-marked for before Edelman stole it from him.

I did love Gronk's hilariously bad nickname, Danny 'Playoff' Amendola, he's every inch a meathead jock from an 80s teen comedy. The only Patriot even remotely likeable.

stew

Quote from: Syferus on January 23, 2018, 05:51:06 PM
In fairness Amendola has never even had a 700 yard season. He's just ably filling in the slot role Welker had back in the day, and the one he was ear-marked for before Edelman stole it from him.

I did love Gronk's hilariously bad nickname, Danny 'Playoff' Amendola, he's every inch a meathead jock from an 80s teen comedy. The only Patriot even remotely likeable.

Thats because he is the only democrat in the team.