Ulster Club Hurling Championships

Started by Lecale2, October 08, 2007, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Last Man on October 29, 2007, 02:50:50 PM
U21s!!!, one swallow and all that, show me a trend an I'll listen to you. The the county set up is not where it should be and coaching standards have drifted over the last 10 years but that is being addressed. My point is that we in Antrim favour playing the game over gamesmanship, concentrate on the skills and take it from there.

Good for you in Antrim. Yous are the kings of Ulster no doubt. I mentioned the U-21's to illustrate the existence, and possible value of, competition from other counties in the province
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

podge

P.S  what happened at the feile in 1982 that was so bad?

johnneycool

Christ, Is big Geoffrey still at the yapping? You'd think he'd learn after giving our fullback an earful a few years back about looking at scoreboard when they were seven points up with 15 minutes to go. Needless to say the big lad couldn't see the scoreboard at the end when he was on all fours with his head in his hands.

What did happen in the 82 feile? I'm all interested now!!

theskull1

Quote from: whiskeysteve on October 29, 2007, 02:48:38 PM
You didnt answer the question I put to you skull.

I have already said that yes, I agree, we should look to our own structures first. But there is a fundamental problem with hurling in our county.

I don't know how familiar you are hurling in Derry. I suppose by the tone of your posts that you care very little. We have 6 senior clubs, 1 intermediate club and 1 junior club, the junior club being the single club that is not a dual one. Maybe we should flick our magic wands and start another several clubs to make a satisfactory structure.

We have to work with what we've got, as do Down.

Now, I'll go over what I said at the outset. We should have Derry minor teams competing in the Antrim leagues. Just show up and play us. Are we looking a cut of your county budget? Are we looking gear provided? Are we looking for your coaches to come manager us?

No. Your remark about us looking an 'olive branch' is just flippant horseshit. Our teams would be coming to play in YOUR league. Do you think that makes you martyrs for Derry hurling? Catch yourself on.

I'd rather think of it as two counties working together for the betterment of the game in Ulster. If the hurling counties work together, optimistically, pooling our underage talents together in meaningful competition, we might get the sport going with a bit of momentum in this province.

Derry would be stronger for it. Down would be stronger for it. Antrim would be stronger for it
Steve hic

I'll answer that question whenever you get those structures in place ok? Until then stop attacking Antrim for your own misfortunes. Your attitude quite frankly stinks. Do N Antrim not help Derry by inviting them entry into the indoor U8 & U10 leagues for instance? Have the Ulster leagues not created an opportunity for Derry clubs to compete with their arrogant neighbors in the UHL? I'm guessing you are probably too young to understand the level of arrogance you are showing in regard to this discussion steve, but surely you must see that people in Derry's position, where little or no leadership seems to be shown within your own county, should be a little more diplomatic with their use of language. Your not exactly endearing anybody with your attitude
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Quote from: podge on October 29, 2007, 03:26:36 PM
P.S  what happened at the feile in 1982 that was so bad?

Liam Hinphy (a Kilkenny man) the mentor of that team knows

Aerlik

Skull, my dislike of the Dunloy club is based on personal experience.  No need to elaborate.  Never had any grief with any other team we played against in Antrim.  We in Derry always have a wee sympathetic soft-spot for Antrim Gaelic sports (except when you're up against your more superior western neighbours).  I mean it's cute to see the wanes in the chapel on the Saturday before the big game with their yellow shirts on.  Hell, I even saw a young lad wearing an Antrim jersey in Bellaghy main street last year.  You would think your county board would change the colour.  I mean, yellow is not really a true reflection of Antrim.  True, you battle for the first 10 minutes, but wouldn't white be more appropriate? ;)

Any player who strikes out at another (especially towards the head) is a p***k!  How many people have been killed after falling and hitting their head on the ground after a punch outside a pub or a nightclub?  Now is there really much difference between the impact of a hurl and the impact on the ground? 

I, too,would love to know what happened at the 1982 Feile na Gael.  Don't tell me Dungiven were aggressive?

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Blacksheep

Quote from: johnneycool on October 29, 2007, 04:23:26 PM

Kevin Lynch's won the Division 2 National Title in the Feile na nGael in 1982. They beat a fancied Dunloy side in the final which was played in Croke Park. Dunloy have never got over it. Every time they go to Croke Park they remember that defeat and they go to pieces.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

NAG

AERLIK

If you have nothing constructive to say go back the hoganstand and spout your rubbish there.

The closest man to actually hitting someone on the head with a hurl was K.Hinphey when he swung wildly after a Dunloy man dispossesed him.

The 1982 feile final, Dungiven played 4 Kilkenny u14 lads in their side and beat Dunloy on the day, heard Hinphey senior was reminded of that fact in the social club after the match and wasnt best pleased. Disgraceful behaviour then and was the same again on sunday. Subs attacked the referee after he was jossled on the pitch by the Dungiven mentors. This is not made up because I saw it happen.

Guillem2

Quote from: Blacksheep on October 30, 2007, 07:36:31 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 29, 2007, 04:23:26 PM

Kevin Lynch's won the Division 2 National Title in the Feile na nGael in 1982. They beat a fancied Dunloy side in the final which was played in Croke Park. Dunloy have never got over it. Every time they go to Croke Park they remember that defeat and they go to pieces.

I can't believe that Dunloy are still sore about losing an under 14 game 25 years ago!

FFS lads! It was an u14 game and it was 25 years ago. Get over it!
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: theskull1 on October 30, 2007, 12:25:19 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on October 29, 2007, 02:48:38 PM
You didnt answer the question I put to you skull.

I have already said that yes, I agree, we should look to our own structures first. But there is a fundamental problem with hurling in our county.

I don't know how familiar you are hurling in Derry. I suppose by the tone of your posts that you care very little. We have 6 senior clubs, 1 intermediate club and 1 junior club, the junior club being the single club that is not a dual one. Maybe we should flick our magic wands and start another several clubs to make a satisfactory structure.

We have to work with what we've got, as do Down.

Now, I'll go over what I said at the outset. We should have Derry minor teams competing in the Antrim leagues. Just show up and play us. Are we looking a cut of your county budget? Are we looking gear provided? Are we looking for your coaches to come manager us?

No. Your remark about us looking an 'olive branch' is just flippant horseshit. Our teams would be coming to play in YOUR league. Do you think that makes you martyrs for Derry hurling? Catch yourself on.

I'd rather think of it as two counties working together for the betterment of the game in Ulster. If the hurling counties work together, optimistically, pooling our underage talents together in meaningful competition, we might get the sport going with a bit of momentum in this province.

Derry would be stronger for it. Down would be stronger for it. Antrim would be stronger for it
Steve hic

I'll answer that question whenever you get those structures in place ok? Until then stop attacking Antrim for your own misfortunes. Your attitude quite frankly stinks. Do N Antrim not help Derry by inviting them entry into the indoor U8 & U10 leagues for instance? Have the Ulster leagues not created an opportunity for Derry clubs to compete with their arrogant neighbors in the UHL? I'm guessing you are probably too young to understand the level of arrogance you are showing in regard to this discussion steve, but surely you must see that people in Derry's position, where little or no leadership seems to be shown within your own county, should be a little more diplomatic with their use of language. Your not exactly endearing anybody with your attitude

Whos attacking Antrim??? At no point did I 'attack Antrim for our own misfortunes'. I assume our 'arrogant neighbours' is a label of your own creation cos it certainly came from nothing I said. I HAVE advocated having Derry minor teams in Antrim leagues. Something you still won't comment on. Instead you tell me my 'attitude stinks' and suggest I am ignorant, when quite frankly, you have been the one to fling mud and act ignorantly. Our structures ARE in place for our minors to play, what dream structures do you want (give the breakdown of our clubs) for us to be ready?

I have advocated 'pooling our underage talents together in meaningful competition'. You tell me I am not 'endearing anyone with my attitude' and that I lack diplomacy??? ???

I fear theres little point talking to someone with such an immature and snide attitude, though I would welcome discussion from anybody with something constructive to say
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

theskull1

Good man Aerlik. I thought I had you sussed from your first post but that last one just confirmed things for me.

You take your own bitter twisted view of Dunloy and then tell us all that the rest of Antrim feel the same.  Definitely no need to elaborate. You have said enough ...cheers  :D

maxpower

Surely the fact it was an u14 game made the act all the more reprehensible
What happens next????

theskull1

What I have been trying to say to you steve is that from the outset your discussions on developing hurling in Derry within this thread have focused on Antrim allowing Derry teams to play in their minor league. And if Antrim want hurling to thrive in ulster we should be trying to accommodate the likes of the Derry teams when we can? Meanwhile the Derry county board take hurling development into the dark ages. Probably fix football matches to clash with the Antrim fixtures (like they did with the ulster hurling leagues).  If you get hurling matches in Antrim Leagues, then your county board will reduce the number of games you play within your own county leagues (Like they did with ulster hurling league). So effectively Antrim will take on the bulk of administration effort away from the derry county board when it comes to orginising hurling in your own county at minor level.

So the point I have been trying to make is that UNTIL you get your own structures sorted and get the county to buy into a hurling development plan that involves Derry taking ownership and playing an active role in its implementation then demanding that youse should been allowed to play in Antrims minor league is not going to be a solution to your woes.

owenbeg01

Ur are a complete twat NAG. i remember this u14 craic. Do you want me to bring u photos of the game to u!! Just because a derry team beat unes u have a fuckin problem wit it, and still 25 years latter. A few weeks after the game an article appeared in the paper, steaming from the dunloy camp, claiming that KL fielding 4 kilkenny players which was f**king ridiculous. It is assholes like you who give dunloy and antrim a bad name. when the vast majority are good decent folk. Are u the arse behind the antrim website as well, with all there we snided comments.

Blacksheep

Quote from: maxpower on October 30, 2007, 10:07:21 AM
Surely the fact it was an u14 game made the act all the more reprehensible

What act? The story about Kilkenny lads playing for Lynch's was a complete lie. Catch a gripe would ye? How could you pull of that sort of stroke?

Dunloy couldn't take a beating. That was the story of the 1982 Feile.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!