Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 10:12:35 AM
Thought it was ok and would give it a go to start with but think each episode so far has been poorer then the previous one. Last night's one however want just poor, it wasn't even original. Piss in the church straight from Peep Show, crying Virgin Mary from Only Fools, your one on the energy drinks for an exam from the Inbetweeners etc

Did she shit herself? I must have missed that bit.

I thought it was quite good, granted it's not Fr Ted or some of the other comedies people are comparing it to, but watchable all the same.

Some lads with large pokers up their holes on here.

Megaman

Havent watched last nights yet, but thought the first two where quite funny.

That Erin one can be rather annoying at times though

armaghniac

Quote from: Keyser soze on January 19, 2018, 10:05:22 AM
Anyone that thinks this is funny must have something wrong with them. Excruciating to watch, the peurile humour, plot and acting skills were embarassing, a very poor children's TV programme with lots of swearing.

Exaggerate much? There is TV on 7 days a week, people enjoy watching different stuff. This is perfectly watchable, if not perhaps one of the all time greats.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: johnneycool on January 19, 2018, 10:38:45 AM
Thought it was ok and would give it a go to start with but think each episode so far has been poorer then the previous one. Last night's one however want just poor, it wasn't even original. Piss in the church straight from Peep Show, crying Virgin Mary from Only Fools, your one on the energy drinks for an exam from the Inbetweeners etc

I thought it was quite good, granted it's not Fr Ted or some of the other comedies people are comparing it to, but watchable all the same.

She didn't, but that's not the point. I just don't think it's that original or funny. No poker up my hole either.

The principal nun is the best character, both written and acted, in the show by far for me.

ned

Quote from: gallsman on January 19, 2018, 10:53:13 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on January 19, 2018, 10:38:45 AM

She didn't, but that's not the point. I just don't think it's that original or funny. No poker up my hole either.

The principal nun is the best character, both written and acted, in the show by far for me.

It's okay, just but fills a half hour later at night as a wind down. Agree about the nun.
However, originality on TV ended in 1980 something. Everything is a rehash or rip off of something else now.

Targetman

Don't worry folks that all time classic "Give my head peace " makes a welcome or unwelcome return tonight!!

T Fearon

Have to admit I found Kevin Mc Aleer funny back in the day on Nighthawks etc.We all knew someone who talked like that.Problem is they're all long dead

thebigfella

Quote from: Targetman on January 19, 2018, 05:41:07 PM
Don't worry folks that all time classic "Give my head peace " makes a welcome or unwelcome return tonight!!

It's like the citizen Kane of comedy when compared to mrs browns boys.

Targetman

That Mrs Brown's Boys is the biggest feed of shite on tv, followed closely by winning streak!!

playwiththewind1st

Just watched this week's episode. It's not bad, passes half an hour painlessly & funny in parts.

screenexile

Quote from: T Fearon on January 19, 2018, 05:49:30 PM
Have to admit I found Kevin Mc Aleer funny back in the day on Nighthawks etc.We all knew someone who talked like that.Problem is they're all long dead

Saw Kevin McAleer a couple of years apart and he didn't change his act in the slightest. Yes I understand he has the same droll way if going on but it was literally the same set.

In fairness to him it worked perfectly for Derry girls but he needs to change it up to stay relevant. In today's game you need a new set every year at least to stay relevant!!

longballin

Kevin's latest show, 'Saying Yes to Yes' is hilarious and totally up to do date on new age philosophies and all that. A genius had the audience in Strule House in Omagh in tears of laughter. So he hasn't been left behind at all...  https://www.clifdenartsfestival.ie/event/comedy/

BennyCake

Quote from: Targetman on January 19, 2018, 08:20:52 PM
That Mrs Brown's Boys is the biggest feed of shite on tv, followed closely by winning streak!!

Maybe so, but I wouldn't care about that if I was spinning thon wheel

T Fearon

I made a point of watching this dross from start to finish tonight.Pure utter shite never laughed once

rrhf

Another good laugh tonight. Good show.