Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Aside from the odd dodgy accent, I thought it was good and definitely has potential.

Frank_The_Tank

I thought it was decent - some funny lines in it and would appeal to an age group who grew up in that Era.  General consensus in office I work in was positive as well - its not Peep show, Fr Ted, Fawlty Towers funny but I would rate it better in the first 10 mins than anything Ive seen in Mrs Browns Boys which is one of the cringiest shows I've ever watched
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

ned

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on January 05, 2018, 11:16:05 AM
I thought it was decent - some funny lines in it and would appeal to an age group who grew up in that Era.  General consensus in office I work in was positive as well - its not Peep show, Fr Ted, Fawlty Towers funny but I would rate it better in the first 10 mins than anything Ive seen in Mrs Browns Boys which is one of the cringiest shows I've ever watched

Thought it was decent too but why compare it to Fr Ted, Fawlty Towers or Peep Show. Those are classic sitcoms which have probably gained greater popularity with time. Will watch next time to give it a chance.

longballin

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on January 05, 2018, 11:16:05 AM

Maybe I dropped it too soon (10 mins)... will watch again and see. You're deffo right about Mrs Brown's Boy... embarassing

magpie seanie

Honestly can't see what people find amusing about Mrs Brown's boys. Christmas was tough with people insisting on watching that shite.....can't even sleep on the couch with it on.

general_lee

Wasn't bad, wasn't overly great either. Inbetweeners is the standard-bearer when it comes to comedies over the past decade and it was hilarious from the start (if you enjoy that kind of humour/are good craic). Derry Girls doesn't come close to that but maybe it will get better.

square_ball

Quote from: general_lee on January 05, 2018, 12:27:07 PM
Wasn't bad, wasn't overly great either. Inbetweeners is the standard-bearer when it comes to comedies over the past decade and it was hilarious from the start (if you enjoy that kind of humour/are good craic). Derry Girls doesn't come close to that but maybe it will get better.

I would agree with that. Think the reaction went a bit overboard on twitter etc. The girl playing Erin was over-acting (if that's a word) her role bordering on being very annoying.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: square_ball on January 05, 2018, 12:32:41 PM

I would agree with that. Think the reaction went a bit overboard on twitter etc. The girl playing Erin was over-acting (if that's a word) her role bordering on being very annoying.

I'm sure she was acting as directed.

Targetman

I wonder did the boul Gregory watch it?

square_ball

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on January 05, 2018, 12:44:09 PM
Quote from: square_ball on January 05, 2018, 12:32:41 PM

I'm sure she was acting as directed.

Absolutely but I found it to be a bit over the top. Maybe it'll be toned down in later episodes.

armaghniac

Quote from: Targetman on January 05, 2018, 12:46:50 PM

He'll probably be putting a question in Westminster as to why it isn't called Londonderry girls.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on January 05, 2018, 01:01:21 PM

He'll probably be putting a question in Westminster as to why it isn't called Londonderry girls.

Yes, it would clearly be too one-sided for him. But perhaps he should be asking himself why nobody wants to write a programme about L'Derry Girls? There could be laughs as they get taught British history, learn Scottish dancing, praise royalty and burn Lundy.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Derry girls are rides. Londonderry girls are middens. Probably why they choose Derry over Londonderry.  ;)

Orior

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2018, 02:41:15 PM
Derry girls are rides. Londonderry girls are middens. Probably why they choose Derry over Londonderry.  ;)

There are also West End Girls but I like big end girls.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on January 05, 2018, 01:01:21 PM

I expect the Nolan show to have a debate on it any day now.