Derry Girls - Channel 4

Started by longballin, January 04, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2022, 05:59:12 PM
Well that's me all caught up on all the episodes. I don't know what some of yiz are smoking. It was a great show! I find an accent so similar to my own a bit hard to listen to on TV at times, and there is a bit of over-acting, but the humour and clever writing more than made up for it. The historical details (the old cars, the music) were spot on. One thing I liked was how every character was so unique with a fully fleshed out personality, which you don't always see in TV these days. Even minor characters that appear in one or two episodes are hillarious. Like your one in the railway station talking on the phone at full volume about her sex life, or yer man in the shop that roars at the customers, or the edgy English literature teacher. Great stuff altogether. It'll be a classic in years to come, and the curmudgeons giving out about it are going to look even funnier.
I agree. Judging by the comments on youtube the series is already very popular.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

I was sceptical at the start, but it's one of those rare comedy shows that gets better on repeat viewings, and the last 5-6 episodes were all gems. Characters who just make me smile.

AustinPowers

I think like father ted, Derry girls will  take on a life of its own , where sayings and phrases become part of everyday life. Like an 'in joke' that we're all in on.

"Protestants keep their toaster in the cupboard/hate  ABBA", "Catholics have more freckles " etc... will become the new "Careful now" or "down with this sort of thing".

I don't know about the rest of ye but  I would use father ted-isms very regularly. Even though I wouldn't really watch it much now , the funny lines have seeped into the public consciousness.  That's probably an indicator of how well liked a show is

armaghniac

Quote from: AustinPowers on November 28, 2022, 08:06:19 PM
I think like father ted, Derry girls will  take on a life of its own , where sayings and phrases become part of everyday life. Like an 'in joke' that we're all in on.

"Protestants keep their toaster in the cupboard/hate  ABBA", "Catholics have more freckles " etc... will become the new "Careful now" or "down with this sort of thing".

I don't know about the rest of ye but  I would use father ted-isms very regularly. Even though I wouldn't really watch it much now , the funny lines have seeped into the public consciousness.  That's probably an indicator of how well liked a show is

Down with that sort of thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: armaghniac on November 28, 2022, 08:11:29 PM

Down with that sort of thing.

Careful now
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Eamonnca1

Quote from: armaghniac on November 28, 2022, 06:17:38 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2022, 05:59:12 PM
Well that's me all caught up on all the episodes. I don't know what some of yiz are smoking. It was a great show! I find an accent so similar to my own a bit hard to listen to on TV at times, and there is a bit of over-acting, but the humour and clever writing more than made up for it. The historical details (the old cars, the music) were spot on. One thing I liked was how every character was so unique with a fully fleshed out personality, which you don't always see in TV these days. Even minor characters that appear in one or two episodes are hillarious. Like your one in the railway station talking on the phone at full volume about her sex life, or yer man in the shop that roars at the customers, or the edgy English literature teacher. Great stuff altogether. It'll be a classic in years to come, and the curmudgeons giving out about it are going to look even funnier.

Have you encountered any Americans who have seen it? I expect even the publicity today will cause a few more to watch it.

Yes, plenty. My American wife loves it, although I was constantly hitting pause to explain some background stuff so she could get more of the deeper-layered jokes.

Eamonnca1

The other night my daughter was looking for some sellotape and I said in a Liam Neeson voice, "there is no tape."

There's other lines I quote fairly regularly.

And I said to myself, says I...

You're a massive ride...

Now I don't mind a bit of a breeze, if anything I prefer it, but thon was aggressive...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on November 28, 2022, 07:38:09 PM
I was sceptical at the start, but it's one of those rare comedy shows that gets better on repeat viewings, and the last 5-6 episodes were all gems. Characters who just make me smile.

I sometimes go back just to watch Orla doing random stuff in the background, or her lollipop getting bigger and more elaborate in each episode. Or the random stuff on Sr Michael's desk. Or the interactions between James and Erin before they started getting close. I'm sure there's plenty of other details I've missed.