Thank God it was not a draw!

Started by From the Bunker, September 18, 2017, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I wanted Dublin to win. I would doubt many in Meath were hoping for a Dublin win. Several Sligo people around me devastated (slumped in seats, almost in tears) at the final whistle. I find that a head scratcher. This is a county we're trying to compete against.

I won't say anything else on the other things for now as I don't want to piss off the genuine Mayo lads. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

sligoman2

I won't say anything else on the other things for now as I don't want to piss off the genuine Mayo lads. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

That's my point Seanie, there's a time and a place and this is not either one.  Leave the muckraking to the Rossies....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

weareros

Quote from: sligoman2 on September 19, 2017, 12:26:47 PM

That's my point Seanie, there's a time and a place and this is not either one.  Leave the muckraking to the Rossies....

Sligoman2, what muckraking are the Rossies doing? That's a fairly big generalisation considering when we lose, Eamon O'Hara is quick to polish off a few bus jokes on Twitter. But would never malign all Sligonians if one decides to have a laugh. It's only a game at end of day.

That said, awful of Syferus to call you a Mayoman given that long time readers know you to be a straight up and genuine Sligo man, who even played a bit back in the day.

sligoman2

Thank you for the kind words weareros.

Take a look at the second post on this thread, I've copied it for you below

When ye have a panel of Mayo men only (no Ballaghaderreen Co Roscommon players) ye'll win Sam.
Karma.

Like I said earlier, this is kicking a man when he's down, and I felt that this was not the time for that....

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 19, 2017, 11:36:07 AM
I wanted Dublin to win. I would doubt many in Meath were hoping for a Dublin win. Several Sligo people around me devastated (slumped in seats, almost in tears) at the final whistle. I find that a head scratcher. This is a county we're trying to compete against.
This, I mean I get that a lot of people wouldn't have wanted Dublin to win for all sorts of reasons, and I was of the "can they not both lose" viewpoint, but I do understand that people here would feel a little sorry for Mayo, after coming so close so often it's hard not to, but to be reacting as though they were a Mayo supporter itself is just plain bizarre.

sligoman2

You are missing the point Owenmoresider, I was a Mayo supporter on Sunday, I do feel sorry for them and I was offended by the abuse hurled at them earlier in the thread...
Again, not the time to do this...

Rossfan

Calm down Sligoman2.
I for once hoped the Rhubarbs would win on Sunday and think it's tough on them to lose 4 AI Finals in 6 years 3 of them by a point.
However I reserve the right to slag them and have banter especially in a thread where one of their own is saying  tongue in cheek -thank God we lost.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 19, 2017, 06:21:31 PM
Calm down Sligoman2.
I for once hoped the Rhubarbs would win on Sunday and think it's tough on them to lose 4 AI Finals in 6 years 3 of them by a point.
However I reserve the right to slag them and have banter especially in a thread where one of their own is saying  tongue in cheek -thank God we lost.

sligoman2's sense of perspective seems to be curiously lacking only when it comes to Roscommon posters.. I wonder why..

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 12:23:26 AM
Gas, as we (the poor downtrodden Mayo fans) left Croke Park. The overwhelming feeling was 'Thank God it wasn't a draw'. The Financial as well as the emotional cost was just to much and most were happy it was done and dusted. Who wants to spend more money on Petrol, Food and €80 (cos the GAA of the people don't reduce the price for replays in Football). If there was one small thing that made me happy it was that them greedy corporational whores missed out on screwing us one last time. Small mercies!   ;D

Is this tongue in cheek? if not i can't get my head around the need for this thread or that opening post. Mayo would still be in the race for the All Ireland with a draw with the opportunity of 70 mins away from winning Sam and for Mayo that would be priceless.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 19, 2017, 08:26:12 PM
Gas, as we (the poor downtrodden Mayo fans) left Croke Park. The overwhelming feeling was 'Thank God it wasn't a draw'. The Financial as well as the emotional cost was just to much and most were happy it was done and dusted. Who wants to spend more money on Petrol, Food and €80 (cos the GAA of the people don't reduce the price for replays in Football). If there was one small thing that made me happy it was that them greedy corporational whores missed out on screwing us one last time. Small mercies!   ;D

Is this tongue in cheek? if not i can't get my head around the need for this thread or that opening post. Mayo would still be in the race for the All Ireland with a draw with the opportunity of 70 mins away from winning Sam and for Mayo that would be priceless.
Don't worry Cunny. It's just Bunker and I seriously doubt if he's really a Mayoman. The 40,000 Mayo people in Croke Park would willingly have paid €160 for a replay never mind the reduced €60 price we were charged last year.

Syferus

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 19, 2017, 08:36:29 PM

Don't worry Cunny. It's just Bunker and I seriously doubt if he's really a Mayoman. The 40,000 Mayo people in Croke Park would willingly have paid €160 for a replay never mind the reduced €60 price we were charged last year.

Ah, if someone doesn't conform to the opinions of the Mayo Superfan Hive Mind they must be infidels. Listen to yourself for a second.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on September 19, 2017, 08:50:34 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 19, 2017, 08:36:29 PM

Ah, if someone doesn't conform to the opinions of the Mayo Superfan Hive Mind they must be infidels. Listen to yourself for a second.
Perhaps you might read the piece in bold from his original post. I might ignore his personal opinion but when he claims to speak for the majority (most) he loses all credibility. Probably not an infidel though ......just a crank.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2017, 08:29:56 AM
Wouldnt have minded the chance to play without the handicap of Flynn and O'Gara, but definitely preferred the 1 point win!

Considering the phenomenal amount of work put in by every member of the panel I can't understand the need to make cheap cuts at individual players. These lads have families.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

yellowcard

I imagine the majority of Mayo fans would have bitten your hand off for a draw when Rock popped over that free kick in injury time. It must seem like a long way back to an AI final with this team from here.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on September 20, 2017, 08:53:06 AM
I imagine the majority of Mayo fans would have bitten your hand off for a draw when Rock popped over that free kick in injury time. It must seem like a long way back to an AI final with this team from here.

I've heard the same comment the last 4 years.

This generation are coming to an end but there's probably another year in them, their 2 oldest outfield players had will both win All Stars.