Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 04:58:00 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 04:50:39 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 18, 2017, 04:25:44 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 04:20:18 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 18, 2017, 04:12:22 PM
no you insisted Mayo have regressed

as a counter debate I queried do you think Dublin have also re as they have more difficulty in beating them in 2016 and 2017...........

As an aside Harrison was an allstar last year so hardly a borderline starter

If Mayo switch Diarmuid O'Connor and Keegan to midfield and find 1/2 more mobile players they can definitely win it next year!!
Definitely? Keegans best position is where he plays, best man marker in the game and outscores his marker more often than not. Diarmuid O'Connor didn't stand out at midfield at underage level.

I believe so. Pushing Keegan further forward totally blew Kilkenny out of the water. The midfield role has changed so much, even since DOC was a minor. I feel his running game (similar to James McCarthy) is suitable.

Keegan is 5 foot 10, if that..

And arguably the best footballer in the country!

So was Gooch at one point, it didn't make him a midfielder, though.

yellowcard

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 18, 2017, 02:47:51 PM
McCarthy got MOTM and POTY on The Sunday Game.

McCarthy kicked 2 good second half points but POTY? Not for me, Aidan O'Se completely outplayed him in that first half and while McCarthy is a great athlete and an excellent half back I'm not sure he was sufficiently outstanding to earn POTY. The same could be said for a lot of Dublin players though. Andy Moran would be my choice who cleaned out Fitzsimmons yesterday before he tired and who has been consistently outstanding for most of the year.

Rochford done all he could do yesterday, Mayo threw the kitchen sink at that match and ultimately their lack of strength in depth cost them again. They need to discover 1 or 2 decent impact players if they are to finally get over the line. With the super 8s coming in next season you would think that they will still be in the top 4 but I hope they stick together and give it one last shot because at the minute they have the dubious honour of being the best side never to win an AI title. In another era they might have had 3.

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on September 18, 2017, 05:36:51 PM

McCarthy kicked 2 good second half points but POTY? Not for me, Aidan O'Se completely outplayed him in that first half and while McCarthy is a great athlete and an excellent half back I'm not sure he was sufficiently outstanding to earn POTY. The same could be said for a lot of Dublin players though. Andy Moran would be my choice who cleaned out Fitzsimmons yesterday before he tired and who has been consistently outstanding for most of the year.

Rochford done all he could do yesterday, Mayo threw the kitchen sink at that match and ultimately there lack of strength in depth cost them again. They need do discover 1 or 2 decent impact players if they are to finally get over the line. With the super 8s coming in next season you would think that they will still be in the top 4 but I hope they stick together and give it one last shot because at the minute they have the dubious honour of being the best side never to win an AI title. In another era they might have had 3.

You're making the erroneous assumption they don't desperately need replacements for some of their starters too.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 05:41:37 PM

Rochford done all he could do yesterday, Mayo threw the kitchen sink at that match and ultimately there lack of strength in depth cost them again. They need do discover 1 or 2 decent impact players if they are to finally get over the line. With the super 8s coming in next season you would think that they will still be in the top 4 but I hope they stick together and give it one last shot because at the minute they have the dubious honour of being the best side never to win an AI title. In another era they might have had 3.

You're making the erroneous assumption they don't desperately need replacements for some of their starters too.

If they found two new starters then that would create 2 impact players by extension. But from the outside looking in it is hard to see where those players would come from. Probably a corner forward and any kind of back needed. They should not worry about results in the league and gamble on a few newcomers. If they get relegated so be it.

yellowcard

If none of them decide to call it a day I don't think any of their older players are showing signs of regressing. Andy Moran has been arguably the best player in the country and Higgins has been brilliant all year and they are 2 of their veterans. I'm not sure specifically what starting players you reckon need replaced. However a long term injury or a retirement or two and I feel as though they will struggle to get back to another final.

Denn Forever

O'Shea had a lot of possession but all  he seemed to do was recycle it accrossthe field.  I thought he should have been played at FF and allowed to roam from there.

But If mayo could have scored another goal or 2 more points, they would have won the game.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Syferus

Quote from: yellowcard on September 18, 2017, 05:57:53 PM

If none of them decide to call it a day I don't think any of their older players are showing signs of regressing. Andy Moran has been arguably the best player in the country and Higgins has been brilliant all year and they are 2 of their veterans. However a long term injury or a retirement or two and I feel as though they will struggle to get back to another final.

SOS is always gassed after 50 minutes, Boyle has no more than 55 minutes in him. Barrett at times the same. Andy was seriously fecked by the time he was pulled yesterday, and that is a regular occurrence. Higgins hides it better by staying deeper but he is completely fúcked in the last ten minutes of most games too.

AOS despite being younger than those lads has 55 minutes in him at championship pace. In the Roscommon drawn game I remember him barely being able to move by the end. Yesterday he was literally walking when he got the ball in the final 15 minutes, totally gassed but no replacement for him so Rochford left him on and his opposite number had a field day. Those lads do not have the full 75-80 minutes of football in them that all but AOS used to have. That is physical, factual regression and deterioration, not of one or two squad players, but the very players Mayo look for to win games.

Shark, if you're trying to tell me they can find three or four players to start and would even be at the same level overall by bringing on the lads listed above for the final 15 minutes then I'm not buying what you're selling. What happened to Donegal is exactly what is happening to Mayo now, albeit in a somewhat more graceful fashion. Normal counties can't replace multiple once in a generation players and remain at the top. Only Dublin, a county with the money and population of a province, can pull off that trick.

The Hill is Blue

Three in a row - fantastic. The last time Dublin were in line for three in a row was thirty nine years ago and I was in Croker that day to see Kerry blow them out of the water.

Yesterday Mayo were ferocious. They fought like demons to the very end but just came up short. This Dublin team just does not accept defeat.

It's great to be a Dublin supporter today.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

shark

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 06:06:54 PM

If none of them decide to call it a day I don't think any of their older players are showing signs of regressing. Andy Moran has been arguably the best player in the country and Higgins has been brilliant all year and they are 2 of their veterans. However a long term injury or a retirement or two and I feel as though they will struggle to get back to another final.

SOS is always gassed after 50 minutes, Boyle has no more than 55 minutes in him. Barrett at times the same. Andy was seriously fecked by the time he was pulled yesterday, and that is a regular occurrence. Higgins hides it better by staying deeper but he is completely fúcked in the last ten minutes of most games too.

AOS despite being younger than those lads has 55 minutes in him at championship pace. In the Roscommon drawn game I remember him barely being able to move by the end. Yesterday he was literally walking when he got the ball in the final 15 minutes, totally gassed but no replacement for him so Rochford left him on and his opposite number had a field day. Those lads do not have the full 75-80 minutes of football in them that all but AOS used to have. That is physical, factual regression and deterioration, not of one or two squad players, but the very players Mayo look for to win games.

Shark, if you're trying to tell me they can find three or four players to start and would even be at the same level overall by bringing on the lads listed above for the final 15 minutes then I'm not buying what you're selling. What happened to Donegal is exactly what is happening to Mayo now, albeit in a somewhat more graceful fashion. Normal counties can't replace multiple once in a generation players and remain at the top. Only Dublin, a county with the money and population of a province, can pull off that trick.

I'm not saying they can. More that they need to. And said 2, not three or four. I don't really know if they can as we haven't seen what level the guys outside the first 20/21 are at, and I don't have any knowledge of their club scene. But they need to find more options.

Wildweasel74

OShea had run out steam last 15mins but but Mayo didnt try him on the full forward line where he could drew fouls! Probably need a new midfielder and corner bck next year with S OShea and Higgins coming off the bench! Likely need to look at a playmaking center half with A OShea pushed into the full forward line! A Moran should be footballer of the year but only Jim McKeever even got one been in a team which lost the All Ireland! Moran been the best player this year!

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 06:06:54 PM

Can you explain the money reference as yo my eyes you are posting through your rectum using throwaway colloquialisms like financial doping.....

No issue if you can make the case but I have yet to see it properly  presented

Tubberman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM
OShea had run out steam last 15mins but but Mayo didnt try him on the full forward line where he could drew fouls! Probably need a new midfielder and corner bck next year with S OShea and Higgins coming off the bench! Likely need to look at a playmaking center half with A OShea pushed into the full forward line! A Moran should be footballer of the year but only Jim McKeever even got one been in a team which lost the All Ireland! Moran been the best player this year!

Keegan got it last year
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Estimator

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2017, 06:24:41 PM

McDonnell 2003?
Ulster League Champions 2009

Wildweasel74