All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: TheOptimist on September 12, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
At the age of 31 I'm going to my first all Ireland on Sunday, cant wait. Made a pact after missing out on tickets in 02 that would only go to one if Derry were in final (minor or senior) and missed out because of work in 07.

I have watched the two finals last year again and the definite conclusion is that Dublin were lucky in both games. Mayo 100% have their number if they perform to the levels that they can. I think people are blinkered by the two in a row. As I said before the quarter finals Mayo are the only team who have put it up to Dublin in the last two years. At 5/2 they are great value.

Derry will be up against it in the Minors but they are a very well organised team with good players all over the park, a strong bench and a manager who is very good at managing a game. Hope they can stop Kerry this year and bring the Tom Markham cup home for the first time since 2002.

An interesting fact, as far as I am aware Ben McCarron on the Derry Minors is cousins with Conor Loftus, both grand children of former GAA president Mick Loftus. I'm open to correction there but pretty confident on that one.

Don't know about McCarron, but Conor Loftus is a grand-nephew of Mick Loftus, not grandson.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

TheOptimist

Quote from: Tubberman on September 12, 2017, 01:23:53 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on September 12, 2017, 01:15:49 PM
At the age of 31 I'm going to my first all Ireland on Sunday, cant wait. Made a pact after missing out on tickets in 02 that would only go to one if Derry were in final (minor or senior) and missed out because of work in 07.

I have watched the two finals last year again and the definite conclusion is that Dublin were lucky in both games. Mayo 100% have their number if they perform to the levels that they can. I think people are blinkered by the two in a row. As I said before the quarter finals Mayo are the only team who have put it up to Dublin in the last two years. At 5/2 they are great value.

Derry will be up against it in the Minors but they are a very well organised team with good players all over the park, a strong bench and a manager who is very good at managing a game. Hope they can stop Kerry this year and bring the Tom Markham cup home for the first time since 2002.

An interesting fact, as far as I am aware Ben McCarron on the Derry Minors is cousins with Conor Loftus, both grand children of former GAA president Mick Loftus. I'm open to correction there but pretty confident on that one.

Don't know about McCarron, but Conor Loftus is a grand-nephew of Mick Loftus, not grandson.

Ah that changes things then maybe. There's connections anyway for sure  :)

shantygael

Mc carrons mothers  maiden name is Loftus, a GP in Derry, originally from mayo.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on September 11, 2017, 11:26:25 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2017, 02:45:25 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2017, 02:12:45 PM

I agree with keeping the fans off the pitch. It gives the players the chance to enjoy the moment with their teammates. I know Bernard Brogan after the 2011 final said he enjoyed just sitting on the pitch with a few teammates and just soaking up the moment.
Yeah, I was very much against the banning of the pitch invasion to celebrate success. But I'm completely on the other side now. A proper lap of honour is far better. It allows the players to savour the victory and the fans to applaud and sing as they do so.
You just can't beat the age-old GAA traditions of gaudy gold tinsel dropping  limply from the roof of the Hogan Stand, The Script's "The World's Gonna Know Your Name" blasting out over the public address system 0.7 seconds after the final whistle, plastic orange wire mesh (blue this year, plus ca change) being held up by the stewards to prevent the savage masses from entering the playing area, and, most importantly, the traditional playing of "Tonight's Gonna Be A Good Night" by The Black Eyed Peas as the cup is lifted.

Truly, part of what we are.

Why does the music have to be so  bland? could they not have Azealia Banks singing I'm a ruin you **** before the camogie final ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Jv9fNPjgk
It is a great song for a crowd in Dublin and everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imkVaPUCEHQ

I guess  that **** gettin eaten
"that ****" is the Commercial director afaik
what the f**k are you into hun

Why not Mobb Deep doing Drop a Gem on Tipp after Galway beat them next year in the hurling ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ACMDW42eOI
It's the infamous back in the house once again
Who can forget the Offaly hurlers in 98  ?

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

highorlow

"Obviously, Dublin are way ahead and I have no idea how they are able to do it. To try and do a 40-hour-a-week job and just be blown away from another team who... and maybe they aren't doing 40-hour-a-week jobs similar to what other counties are, maybe that's one of the reasons they're so far ahead."

"If anything, we place a big emphasis on players getting that continued professional development," says Gavin. "That's part of their job. Sometimes they miss training because of it.
"I mentioned the academic cycle (earlier). We insist on players passing exams on the first go. So we'll give them time off for that.
"And I think when you look at the profile of the players we've got now, we've got two medical students in Mick Fitz (Michael Fitzsimons) and Jack (McCaffrey). A few other players are still in college but most of them are in solid professional jobs.
"The reality of it is at inter-county level, they're all volunteering their time. I suppose we're very fortunate to have employers who understand the benefits of an inter-county player in their workforce because of the discipline in sticking to a routine and being able to work in a team dynamic.
"But we don't place any undue demand on players on a Monday to Friday."

"There's a number of lads on our team who are fairly well committed to their jobs and very serious jobs. There's flexibility afforded in some capacity, but you've got to be able to perform in your job.

Being based in the capital, the Dublin squad avoid the sort of cross-country treks for training that are commonplace for most other inter-county players.
For example, Cavanagh's former teammate Tiernan McCann is a pharmacist based in north Dublin suburb Santry, and endures a four-hour round-trip to make it back for collective sessions multiple times per week.
McCann works on a locum basis, and during the championship he generally tries to avoid working the same day as Tyrone are training to ease the time pressure.
Then you take Dublin's opponents on Sunday, Mayo. Ten members of Stephen Rochford's panel currently work or study in Dublin: Tom Parsons, Seamie O'Shea, Jason Doherty, Chris Barrett, Rob Hennelly, Conor Loftus, Stephen Coen, Paddy Durcan, Conor O'Shea and Diarmuid O'Connor.
For Mayo's All-Ireland final press night a couple of weeks ago, Parsons gave an interview from his Dublin base with the assembled journalists in Breaffy gathered around a mobile phone.

Having claimed back-to-back All-Ireland SFC titles on the pitch in October, the Dublin GAA powerhouse also shows no sign of abating outside the white lines with Subaru coming on board as a major sponsorship partner for 2017.
Already the GAA's biggest draw with regards to match attendances, Jim Gavin's Dubs bid for a famous three-in-a-row later this year and their pulling power off the pitch will now be driven by the Japanese car giant.
Subaru were officially announced as the replacement for Toyota as the official car partner to Dublin GAA earlier today and join a long list of 12 official sponsors for GAA in the capital.

Dublin's coffers have been boosted significantly by such sponsorship deals and as found on dublingaa.ie, here are the dozen official partners of Dublin GAA for the 2017 season:
O'Neills – official kit partner

Lifestyle Sports – official clothing partner
Ballygowan – official hydration partner

Energise Sport – part of the official hydration partnership
Aer Lingus – official airline partner

Linwoods – official health food provider
Skins – official performance baselayer product

The Gibson Hotel – official sleeping partner
ROS Nutrition – official supplement supplier

Benetti – menswear provider
Gourmet Food Parlour – restaurant provider

Subaru – official car partner
Dublin Senior footballers Michael Fitzsimons and Kevin McManamon as well as hurling manager Ger Cunningham and senior players Eoghan O'Donnell and Chris Crummey were all present for the announcement.

"Subaru Ireland are delighted to announce it has joined forces with Dublin GAA and signed a deal making Subaru the official car partner to Dublin GAA," a press statement read.

"Subaru will provide vehicles to the players and management of the Dublin senior football and hurling teams. Both teams will also benefit from a Subaru Forester Van to transport their kit around the country as they compete in the All-Ireland Championships and National Leagues."

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

seafoid

I came across an article about Big Jim Smith who was on the first Cavan team to win the all Ireland.
He won another one in 1937. Guess who won the all Ireland in 1936 , 2 years after Galway ?

1937 dawned. One of the Ulster Championship fixtures v Donegal was fixed for Breffni Park. Rumours spread that Jim Smith would make a return. Now fourteen, I determined to get to that game. Having left my pedal bicycle out the Dublin Road at Paddy Reilly's shop I made my way into the Park, went up alongside the wire enclosure and spoke to my brother through the wire, then returned to the rear of the entrance goal. Then I heard a tremendous cheer, looked towards the dressing-rooms as everyone else did and saw the unmistakeable figure of Jim Smith emerging with the other players. As the game got underway I watched his every move, his sure fielding, his lengthy clearances, his well placed kickouts, and he certainly did not require a Golf Tee or any other tee to raise the ball from the ground.
Monaghan were beaten in the Ulster Final and my next memory is of my late father and several others cycling to Mullingar for the semi-final v Mayo. Cavan won by a late rally but my father said they were helped by Jim Smith's marking of the late Paddy Moclair, Mayo's famed full-forward

Do it for Paddy Moclair. He has run out of patience. 

heffo

Quote from: yellowcard on September 11, 2017, 02:34:45 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 11, 2017, 01:13:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2017, 12:19:04 PM
How many peilople have been injured in a pitch invasion. Ever.

Probably fewer than the number of GAA players who have been paralysed after drinking  .
You arr missing the point.
Corporate GAA decided to ban pitch invasions because of the fear of litigation if someone sustained injuries while running onto the pitch and/or acting the buck eejit while on it. The hike in insurance premiums had to be taken into account also.
As I see it, you may sue or be sued in the event of injuries sustained during an invasion but the GAA can't be held responsible for whatever transpires if you lep the fence.

Name one, just one, incident of a GAA person suing after invading the pitch at an AI final. Maybe there were a series of litigious claims that I'm not aware of but I severely doubt it, it's just pc nonsense. The reality is it's a shift further away from the ideals of the association and just imitates big business professional sport.

I don't know what a 'GAA person' is but there were on average 20 claims per pitch invasion.

Gooch being assaulted after the final in 2008 was a big factor too.

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on September 13, 2017, 10:59:37 AM

Probably fewer than the number of GAA players who have been paralysed after drinking  .
Corporate GAA decided to ban pitch invasions because of the fear of litigation if someone sustained injuries while running onto the pitch and/or acting the buck eejit while on it. The hike in insurance premiums had to be taken into account also.
As I see it, you may sue or be sued in the event of injuries sustained during an invasion but the GAA can't be held responsible for whatever transpires if you lep the fence.

Name one, just one, incident of a GAA person suing after invading the pitch at an AI final. Maybe there were a series of litigious claims that I'm not aware of but I severely doubt it, it's just pc nonsense. The reality is it's a shift further away from the ideals of the association and just imitates big business professional sport.

I don't know what a 'GAA person' is but there were on average 20 claims per pitch invasion.

The land of fantasy has just been entered.

Orchard park

Can you even attempt to back any of this up.............

Esmarelda

A quick search and click threw this up but regardless of what it says, the fat cats at Croke Park are an awful shower altogether.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaa-fans-make-injury-complaints-after-pitch-invasion-29854243.html

seafoid

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 13, 2017, 01:10:47 PM
A quick search and click threw this up but regardless of what it says, the fat cats at Croke Park are an awful shower altogether.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaa-fans-make-injury-complaints-after-pitch-invasion-29854243.html

Figures released for the first six months of 2013 indicate that the county of Limerick accounted for 7pc of personal injury awards in Ireland, despite having just 4.2pc of the population.
In total, there were 383 personal injury claims made in Limerick, winning just over €7.9m in compensation.

7% is 8m so 100% would be 130m
For the whole country exclusive NI
Average claim is 20,000

What proportion  would be likely to occur at GAA matches given GAA is Sundays from June to end August say.  Say 15 Sundays out of 365 days of activity for 4.2 m people.
Say 400000 people go to GAA matches every Sunday for 15 Sundays.  That is generous.

That is 10% of people
And 15/365 of total exposure to personal accident. 

So cost would be 10% of 130m = 13 m ×
with the exposure factor of 15/365 = 4.1%
Total 534, 000

534000 is an overestimate . If it was true it could be paid from the rental from.one CP concert

The GAA is lying.

Esmarelda

seafoid

heffo

Quote from: Orchard park on September 13, 2017, 01:03:25 PM

Can you even attempt to back any of this up.............

Do your own research - I could care less what you believe

Esmarelda

Quote from: seafoid on September 13, 2017, 03:07:03 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 13, 2017, 03:05:36 PM
What lie did "The GAA" state?
That pitch invasions are too expensive
They said pitch invasions are too expensive?

Surely if claims have been made then they're likely to continue to be made and therefore premiums will go up. What's your theory on why they would seek to prevent pitch invasions? Is it somehow linked to the Super 8? ;D