?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

JoG2

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 13, 2019, 10:20:55 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on December 05, 2018, 03:03:48 PM
I've mentioned that before. Ardmore, Sean Dolans, Doire Colmcille and Ogra Colmcille will take hammerings from the teams coming down and could have the opposite effect than desired. You would worry for the future of one or two of those clubs senior teams.
I've mentioned it before but I really think the restructuring of the league was a bad idea (although it had good intentions). It wouldn't surprise me if Ardmore followed Ogra in the fairly recent future and that would be a shame. I see Ogra are still going to try to field in Junior Championship. What will their players do for the rest of the season though? Will some look to play elsewhere? It really is very sad.
[/quote]

Would agree, intentions are good, but there's a few City clubs that are going to get it really tight this year and you just hope that they retain players as the season progresses.

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on February 14, 2019, 10:36:58 AM
I've mentioned that before. Ardmore, Sean Dolans, Doire Colmcille and Ogra Colmcille will take hammerings from the teams coming down and could have the opposite effect than desired. You would worry for the future of one or two of those clubs senior teams.
I've mentioned it before but I really think the restructuring of the league was a bad idea (although it had good intentions). It wouldn't surprise me if Ardmore followed Ogra in the fairly recent future and that would be a shame. I see Ogra are still going to try to field in Junior Championship. What will their players do for the rest of the season though? Will some look to play elsewhere? It really is very sad.

Would agree, intentions are good, but there's a few City clubs that are going to get it really tight this year and you just hope that they retain players as the season progresses.
[/quote]
Is this the city with 110,000 of a population, mainly "nationalist"?

Sheugh Water

Quote from: restorepride on February 14, 2019, 11:32:27 PM

[/quote]

Yep the city which had no gaa facilties until few years back, where people are allowed to run from all over the city to play for the one perceived prestigious club. A lot of catching up to do. Ardmore being allowed to die

JoG2

[/quote]

yes, maybe walk a mile in a man's shoe before being a smart hole

shawshank

Disappointing to read about Ogra's situation. As thing go forward small rural clubs like this are going to get it tight. Ballindery and Loup will no doubt be keen to pick up whatever players they can, and the truth is they need to, to continue to help provide Gaa activities to this population.

restorepride

Quote from: JoG2 on February 15, 2019, 10:47:53 AM

yes, maybe walk a mile in a man's shoe before being a smart hole
[/quote]

Not such a smart arse yourself, only giving the man one shoe!

JoG2

shantygael

you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

restorepride

Leaveherlong

From time to time the reality of how quickly the county footballers have dropped seems hard to believe. People have plenty of opinions but we need to learn from past mistakes if we're not to repeat them in the future. How did this happen - games against Waterford, London and Wicklow? Its not one single thing, obviously, but even with promotion each year it will be 2022 before our footballers are back in Div 1 and, lets be honest, it might take a couple of goes to get out of Div 2 and possibly Div 3, maybe even Division 4! If Limerick beat Leitrim they're back in it and we still have to play them both. So it could be 2025 before we see Derry playing against the top teams again on a regular basis - 25 years into the new millennium! Its hard not to despair sometimes!

oakleaflad

Quote from: Leaveherlong on February 19, 2019, 01:31:17 PM
From time to time the reality of how quickly the county footballers have dropped seems hard to believe. People have plenty of opinions but we need to learn from past mistakes if we're not to repeat them in the future. How did this happen - games against Waterford, London and Wicklow? Its not one single thing, obviously, but even with promotion each year it will be 2022 before our footballers are back in Div 1 and, lets be honest, it might take a couple of goes to get out of Div 2 and possibly Div 3, maybe even Division 4! If Limerick beat Leitrim they're back in it and we still have to play them both. So it could be 2025 before we see Derry playing against the top teams again on a regular basis - 25 years into the new millennium! Its hard not to despair sometimes!
I think you are overestimating where we are talent wise at the moment. We are in Div4 for a reason. I think at best we're a good Div 3 team/poor Div2 team with the current squad. We need patience to bring through young lads from our successful underage squads over the course of the next 4-5 years and hopefully we can push on then.
The current squad seems to be buying in for the most part though and we are in a great position to get promoted this year which had to be the main aim at the start of the year.

Leaveherlong

I have no problem with the current group of players or management. They are doing their very best and it may be, as you say, that we don't have the talented players we had in the past. What I'm trying to work out is how did we ever get to this. We haven't dropped like a stone overnight - if we are to get back to the top and stay there we need to ask what has gone wrong in the past and what is going to be different in the future.

JGDoire

Losing the Slaughtneil players over the last couple of years may account for us being in Division 4.....that aside, you could say the same thing about Down, Armagh, Laois, Meath, Cork..... and so on.  We should be looking to the likes of Tyrone, Mayo etc to see what they have done differently. I think Club Derry and the development of youth has been a big plus for us and we will be back challenging at a higher level in 4-5 years.

We need to be smarter tactically. Was at the Waterford game a couple of weeks ago.....if we cannot find a way of breaking down 13 man defences we are going to struggle come championship time again. Waterford pushed forward when we went two men down......that was why we won the game in the end.  Maybe this will improve.  I'd be amazed if management were not aware that this is an area that we need to work on.  I think our defence has improved and definitely our kick outs too.

Uncle Phil

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 19, 2019, 02:46:10 PM
Quote from: Leaveherlong on February 19, 2019, 01:31:17 PM

In the last decade Derry have received more money from Croke Park than 29 counties in Ireland. Only Dublin and Cork have received more. Where has all of this money went? Idiots at the healm spending money needlessly. The County Board giving salaries to people for organising a few underage blitzes here and there? You don't need an office at Owenbeg for that. The problem with Derry football goes right to the heart of the County Board. It's easy to be critical, I realise that. But it's hard to believe how much investment has been squandered, when counties receiving less have made more progress.

markl121

Did I hear somewhere about a ridiculous amount of money spent on that mosaic floor in owenbeg?