Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

The brexiteers appear as pompous as ever but surely they must see the writing on the wall at this point. The next step has to be to push back article 50.

How many remain supporting Tories vote against? I see jo Johnston did but Ken Clarke voted for

BallyroanAbu

A divided country, this is chaos.

omaghjoe

Heard it there was 11 remainder tories

imtommygunn

Quote from: dec on January 15, 2019, 09:46:38 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 15, 2019, 09:35:13 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2019, 09:19:48 PM
What I'd like to know is this.

If she was appointed Tory leader / PM under the premise that she would commit to delivering the people's will of Brexit, then what is it she should have done differently?

Try to leave personal impressions out of it. If you've got nothing to negotiate with, you either take your beating, or you buy enough time until you get something to negotiate with (or at the very least, you're given something just to go away).

I don't like the woman but she was stuffed before she started. How can she win with this mess.

Farage shouldn't be allowed near our tvs. Absolute cretin who robbed money from the eu when it suited him.

But clearly too stupid to realise that she was stuffed.

Or so arrogant that she believed that she could magically unstuff herself.

Very possibly the latter.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on January 15, 2019, 09:05:37 PM
May hasn't been inept.

She has never, never has a hand to play here.

She has been completely inept.

Should have established a cross-party committee that performed the negotiations, with numerous visits back to the westminster with indicative votes on key issues to ensure they were following consensus on negotiation.

At each point, if they hit a deadlock on something the EU wouldn't agree with and Westminster wouldn't agree without - then the question is asked (i)leave with no deal, (ii)accept this compromise, (iii)don't leave - as either a vote in Westminster or a referendum.

She's a wannabe dictator. Don't forget - parliament had to fight hard just to get this vote, the Scots had to fight the govt to even get a ruling on whether Article 50 could be revoked, when it was clear she was losing this vote, she delayed to raise the brinkmanship, the speaker had to impose a 3 day turnaround otherwise another 3 weeks would have been wasted as she raised the stakes ever higher hoping the other side would blink first.

If May had her way - this would all have been negotiated in secret and without anyone having any visibility never mind say until it was all signed off and law.
i usse an speelchekor

dec

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 15, 2019, 10:19:13 PM
Should have established a cross-party committee that performed the negotiations, with numerous visits back to the westminster with indicative votes on key issues to ensure they were following consensus on negotiation.

If she did that, the hardline Tory Brexiteers would have made her life hell.

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 15, 2019, 09:50:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 15, 2019, 09:18:19 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 15, 2019, 08:10:44 PM
if Sinn Fein had taken their seats..she would have only lost by 223 votes!!
Nevertheless Sinn Fein should have held an emergency Ard Fheis to end the policy of abstention at westminister  for a meaningless voting intervention, irretrievably splitting the party, yet another schism over abstention. just how many splits on that issue since the 1900s?

😂😂😂
Split sinn Fein? Fairly low chance of that me thinks no matter what ye do

The joke.

You.

sid waddell

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 15, 2019, 09:50:18 PM
Suppose May wins the no confidence vote and turns around and puts deferring Article 50 pending the result of a 2nd referendum to the House of Commons? She'd win the vote and the British people could vote again with a clear idea of what they're voting for - a no deal Brexit.
But why should a no deal Brexit be on the ballot paper in a second referendum and May's deal not?

A no deal Brexit has far less Commons support than May's deal.

In terms of a second referendum, May's deal being routed in parliament is basically irrelevant, because the whole point of a referendum is to render parliament irrelevant.

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on January 15, 2019, 10:34:59 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 15, 2019, 09:50:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 15, 2019, 09:18:19 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on January 15, 2019, 08:10:44 PM
if Sinn Fein had taken their seats..she would have only lost by 223 votes!!
Nevertheless Sinn Fein should have held an emergency Ard Fheis to end the policy of abstention at westminister  for a meaningless voting intervention, irretrievably splitting the party, yet another schism over abstention. just how many splits on that issue since the 1900s?

😂😂😂
Split sinn Fein? Fairly low chance of that me thinks no matter what ye do

You.

The joke

They'd definitely count in tomorrow's vote!!

It's only our economic and political future though no biggie . . .

screenexile

My own 2 quids worth tells me something's up... how is sterling rallying in the face of all this chaos??

I reckon it's the fact no deal looks to be completely off the table at this stage that has caused it but there are still some stormy waters depending on what happens tomorrow night. A general election, deal, extension and a people's vote are very realistic options still but tomorrow night and the weekend will tell a tale... it's hard to not watch the coverage I wish I could just switch it off but there's too much mad/unprecedented shit going on!!

sid waddell

Quote from: screenexile on January 15, 2019, 11:53:02 PM
My own 2 quids worth tells me something's up... how is sterling rallying in the face of all this chaos??

I reckon it's the fact no deal looks to be completely off the table at this stage that has caused it but there are still some stormy waters depending on what happens tomorrow night. A general election, deal, extension and a people's vote are very realistic options still but tomorrow night and the weekend will tell a tale... it's hard to not watch the coverage I wish I could just switch it off but there's too much mad/unprecedented shit going on!!
I don't see a general election before March 29th as a realistic possibility.

The UK cannot unilaterally extend Article 50. They can unilaterally withdraw it however, which is definitely a possibility.

An extension to Article 50 would likely depend on there being a second referendum. There's a lot of talk about a second referendum, but I'm not at all convinced it will happen.

So I think no deal is still a live possibility because there has to be a major material change in circumstances for it to be avoided.

Tony Baloney

Corbyn has been gearing up for this since the start which is part of the reason they weren't offering any alternatives. He has wanted to force a GE but it would be a big surprise if any Tory would rather have a GE and potentially Corbyn in power than a lame duck May. They keep saying that they are against No Deal but they are rapidly running out of time. What a shambles.

heganboy

Pushing back the date requires all 27 to support.

Withdrawing 50 is unilateral by the UK only
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

omaghjoe

They will probably ask for it until December and it will probably be granted. And sure if they dont grant it they can just revoke it and then invoke again but I guess that would kick the can down the road another 2 years ;D ;D. What a feckin mess :D :D :D

May said she will look to all opinions from the house, word is Olly Robbins has already been doing just that for her. Also a lot of MPs seem to be talking to each other cross party Grieve, Benn etc. I have a feeling  that there is a majority for something in the Commons... most likely a Norway but with so many calling for a 2nd ref its hard to see that movement going away quietly.

As soon as the end of the week I predict the Brexiteers could well be going ape shit (again!), DUP breathing a sigh of relief, Corbyn and his moron front bench back to twiddling their thumbs and May acting as the puppet for the middle ground which is likely where she wanted to be anyway..... Maybe this is all part of her master plan.... maybe May's a feckin genius after all!

omaghjoe

Course the Brexiteers might sense the wind could be shifting direction and vote with Labour on the no-confidence. It wouldnt take to many to get it over the line. I'm guessing alot of their seats are safe so would they care about a GE?
Course that could risk a Labour government and guarentee a Norway or 2nd ref but not necessarily.... it def would mean the end of May, on the flip side there's no real chance of a Brexiteer leading their party.

They Prob wont have the balls tho as they believe their best chance is to somehow stall their way to the 29March, which is looking increasingly unlikely. Tonight looks like a high water mark for them. It will be back to the fringes for them unless of course they win a 2nd referendum... then the only sensible thing would be ReesMoog as PM  :P