Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Say an election is called due to a few resignations, which could happen tbh and Corbyn gets in, what scenario would play out then? A u-turn of some sort?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

So how do you think a hard border would impact things?

Wouldn't matter?

No extremists in the making would care?

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 19, 2017, 08:25:40 PM
Say an election is called due to a few resignations, which could happen tbh and Corbyn gets in, what scenario would play out then? A u-turn of some sort?
The UK electorate is very volatile.
Labour would need to win on a clear programme with Brexit fully costed for the fantasy it is
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on November 19, 2017, 07:59:35 PM
Unionists will be publicly outraged but people's livelihoods are at stake so they know they can't have a hard border with the South.

A border going across to the UK will annoy the hell out of them though. An importer/exporter on both sides of the border could do well as a conduit to both jurisdictions!!
A hard border would destroy what is left of the NI economy. Brexit will mean lower standards of living in England. That means deflation. Being in the UK is a great bunch of lads but not if prices keep on falling and you can't sell above cost of production. .
Farmers export a lot of produce to the EU. Tariffs will banjax that. The Yanks will insist on selling vile cheap meat tariff free into NI. So farming will get a huge shock.
And the DUP wants this ?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 19, 2017, 08:26:01 PM

Wouldn't matter?

It would be shit! But I've been to the South right through the troubles and we weren't turned away once!

We have extremists but what would they be fighting for that they ain't now?

It will matter to the business' s that export to the south but strapping someone to a truck and blowing them up at the border won't stop Brexit

Do you honestly think a new anti-Brexit resistance movement will start a new 'troubles'?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

I don't think we'll see a return to the troubles but businesses will move en made out of here if there's a hard border and tariffs imposed on trade between the North and the EU!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on November 19, 2017, 08:58:12 PM
I don't think we'll see a return to the troubles but businesses will move en made out of here if there's a hard border and tariffs imposed on trade between the North and the EU!!

Yes they will if they have traded exclusively to the EU, but let's give business some credit! They will have to adapt surely to survive.. large companies have closed here in the north and others have adapted..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2017, 09:12:13 PM

Yes they will if they have traded exclusively to the EU, but let's give business some credit! They will have to adapt surely to survive.. large companies have closed here in the north and others have adapted..
Debt based economic systems end in mass bankruptcies.  But it it should be possible to get wine for a fiver.!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 19, 2017, 09:16:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2017, 09:12:13 PM

Debt based economic systems end in mass bankruptcies.  But it it should be possible to get wine for a fiver.!

Managed 6 for 4.50! Decent red too

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2017, 08:51:19 PM

Wouldn't matter?

It would be shit! But I've been to the South right through the troubles and we weren't turned away once!

We have extremists but what would they be fighting for that they ain't now?

It will matter to the business' s that export to the south but strapping someone to a truck and blowing them up at the border won't stop Brexit

Do you honestly think a new anti-Brexit resistance movement will start a new 'troubles'?

Well one thing that worries me is "community grants". No eu and none of these grants. There is a certan amount of buying off going on in some areas. Troublesome scenarios seem to mysteriously disappear when money is thrown to certain people.

I don't necessarily think full blown troubles but a hard border and less grants would certainly not help peace.

It just isn't a positive thing in general.

You also have to remember, from an economic perspective, that we are a services industry very heavily reliant on foreign investment. We are less appealing now.

A less affluent place is also more likely to have its issues.

Milltown Row2

It totally will but if groups know that there is actually no money to claim from due to voting against it in first place I'd find it very amusing that they'd start a riot! Who will they riot against? Themselves?

Just sounds daft.. we won't fall apart and I can't honestly say that an actual border will be set up, the infrastructure road wise is too good to put a barrier on the road..

So let's wait and see before we get the rations out

imtommygunn

Well these kind of guys do usually riot amongst themselves...

No one is saying get the rations out but the whole thing isn't good. Actual economics experts - not seafoid- do not have high hopes for this. It would be naive to not at least be a bit worried about it. Yes your job may be ok but future generations etc may not necessarily.

It is what it is and there is nothing we can do about it so i personally don't lose sleep over it but i don't have high hopes. My wife's job has been threatened by it and she is far from alone. So yes wait and see if her company will execute on threat...

Your border view is rather simplistic. Road barriers would be nigh on impossible but it is hard to see how there won't be something.

Milltown Row2

Yes it will effect many friends but we've not had a great few years before Brexit to be honest, no wage increase for years for some.. was listen to radio the other day and in truth it wasn't good on how they seen it! Though they said it's all up in the air as they can't predict it properly

armaghniac

Wouldn't matter?

People tend to focus on the particular. One of the particular problems is that the British are happy to not have any checkpoints, but will abandon NI to whatever smuggling takes place, more or less banjaxing ordinary business if there were tariffs.

But there is also a general problem, a hard border shows that politics is pointless as 40 years of political progress will have been dismantled to bring it about. That is a very bad precedent to establish,
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heganboy

there's quite an impact in attracting inward investment. Currently there are EU grants for R&D which will expire, EU membership is a big part of getting those jobs in the north.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity