Planning a weding

Started by southdown, September 04, 2013, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CiKe

Quote from: Rois on September 04, 2013, 12:30:06 PM
I'm getting married next July.  We're going to France, to Chamonix in the Alps and my uncle is coming out to do the mass, all booked in with the French parish.  Then we're having an informal bbq back in Belfast - kinda challenging convention with all this but I've been to loads of "Irish" weddings now so we're doing it a bit differently.

I won't need wedding cars, have a few ideas on photography (ask people how often they look at their wedding album - I am determined not to spend a fortune on photography), having one bridesmaid, and I'm even letting the groom away with not wearing a tie!

We had a Club Tyrone do there a few weeks ago and had a band called Hype at it - just two lads but they were absolutely brilliant.

Hiked around Mont Blanc in the summer. Get the cable car up to Brevent for your photos (possibly best views on whole route), and have a friend with a decent camera take them. With that back drop you hardly need a professional.

Hardy

maddog

Well at least you cant run into the gimp we had for our wedding. The mother in law booked the photographer and the driver who happened to be same guy, anyways no one told us he was a raging alco. After the chapel the missus wanted to call at the hospital (about a mile away) to see her ill grandmother so she could see her in the aul wedding dress and all that craic. Anyways the deal with the car was that there was to be a bottle of champers set up for us on way to reception. When we come out of the hospital yer man had the champers drained and the bottle lying on the back seat of the roller, then when we got to the hotel he couldnt photograph a bloody thing, had to do it all ourselves. Feckin tosspot.

Rois

Quote from: CiKe on September 04, 2013, 02:29:54 PM

Hiked around Mont Blanc in the summer. Get the cable car up to Brevent for your photos (possibly best views on whole route), and have a friend with a decent camera take them. With that back drop you hardly need a professional.

Aw class, did you enjoy it?  We are getting married in the church in the middle of town just at the bottom of the hill up to Brevent - the little one I wanted out at the bottom of the Flegere cable car has been deconsecrated so whilst you can have a humanist wedding in it, you can't have a Catholic wedding!  I've skied quite a few times in Chamonix and going back there to ski this year (and get hair trials and check out florists!). 
My boyfriend's aunt may be called in for the photos (you're so right about the backdrop) - plus I do not want stupid looking photos of my shoes and us getting make up done, which is really a load of sh1te but included in all the wedding packages over here.  Seriously, all I want to see in wedding pics is a few family ones and then guest photos.  I am going to just ask some guests in different groups to take a few good ones around the reception part. 

We can't get legally married in France as we won't have been resident there for 3 months in advance.  We have to do it in City Hall here first (which is fine with the priest, handily my uncle) but I won't consider myself married until the church bit. 

So I'm currently organising 3 ceremonies! 

Maddog, that's some story!  I assume you coped ok and saved yourself the cost of both the car and the photos? 

johnneycool

Quote from: maddog on September 04, 2013, 02:46:05 PM
Well at least you cant run into the gimp we had for our wedding. The mother in law booked the photographer and the driver who happened to be same guy, anyways no one told us he was a raging alco. After the chapel the missus wanted to call at the hospital (about a mile away) to see her ill grandmother so she could see her in the aul wedding dress and all that craic. Anyways the deal with the car was that there was to be a bottle of champers set up for us on way to reception. When we come out of the hospital yer man had the champers drained and the bottle lying on the back seat of the roller, then when we got to the hotel he couldnt photograph a bloody thing, had to do it all ourselves. Feckin tosspot.

The alarm bells would be ringing at this point for me.

I bet you didn't say a word to the ma in law!

naka

laoislad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 04, 2013, 01:52:12 PM
Quote from: pullhard on September 04, 2013, 01:15:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 04, 2013, 01:08:03 PM
Let your bride to be handle the details. Help choose a place and venue. Beyond that, if she wants your input, she will ask for it!

That's what i have noticed. Dont get invovled in any of the bitchness that will occur between bride, mum/sisters and bridemaids. If you do, god help you and be on your ladies side regardless.

+infinity!!

I picked the car for the grooms (only after she seen it) I picked the honeymoon, was in charge of getting the flowers for the males, nearly fcuked that up and needed to be in the church before she got there, nearly fcuked that up after wee headed out to pub on the night before. I've only ever picked the type of TV for the house, beyond that you'll not make any decisions the rest of your married life

You need to grow a set....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

maddog

Quote from: Rois on September 04, 2013, 02:57:32 PM
Quote from: CiKe on September 04, 2013, 02:29:54 PM

Aw class, did you enjoy it?  We are getting married in the church in the middle of town just at the bottom of the hill up to Brevent - the little one I wanted out at the bottom of the Flegere cable car has been deconsecrated so whilst you can have a humanist wedding in it, you can't have a Catholic wedding!  I've skied quite a few times in Chamonix and going back there to ski this year (and get hair trials and check out florists!). 
My boyfriend's aunt may be called in for the photos (you're so right about the backdrop) - plus I do not want stupid looking photos of my shoes and us getting make up done, which is really a load of sh1te but included in all the wedding packages over here.  Seriously, all I want to see in wedding pics is a few family ones and then guest photos.  I am going to just ask some guests in different groups to take a few good ones around the reception part. 

We can't get legally married in France as we won't have been resident there for 3 months in advance.  We have to do it in City Hall here first (which is fine with the priest, handily my uncle) but I won't consider myself married until the church bit. 

So I'm currently organising 3 ceremonies! 

Maddog, that's some story!  I assume you coped ok and saved yourself the cost of both the car and the photos?

No idea, all i had to do was turn up. I would say the father in law would have been looking a reduction of yer man

maddog

Quote from: johnneycool on September 04, 2013, 03:02:07 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 04, 2013, 02:46:05 PM

The alarm bells would be ringing at this point for me.

I bet you didn't say a word to the ma in law!

Many a word was had before during and after. But we are grand now!

Shamrock Shore

Here's a good wedding band that are Drogheda based

http://electricavenue.ie/

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on September 04, 2013, 02:00:59 PM
1. Learn to spell 'wedding'; ('weding' is bad enough, but if you stick in another 'e' instead of the 'd' on the invitations you mightn't live to see your stag.)
2. Go abroad like Rois said. (Been to 5 weddings (sp.) abroad now and all were great and each different from the next. Remember, people will make their own way and stay for a good fews nights so it is like being on holiday will all the important people there with you. (Bring two livers Lovers though).
3. Decide early with herself how you would like the presents: none at all, money or wedding list are all ok but let people know a few months in advance. If you are going abroad this is especially important.
4. If you get married in certain countries you can get a divorce quite handily. (NB! do not discuss this one with herself!!!)
5. Do get a pre-nuptial agreement, only call it something else. I said it was a Department of Foreign Affairs form to release me to get married abroad, which was fine, until I really had to contact the Department of Foreign Affairs to get married abroad.
6. If you are getting married abroad contact the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Fixed that (in bold)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maurice Moss

Quote from: southdown on September 04, 2013, 12:10:59 PM
I am planning to get married around 12 months from now.  Got engaged last weekend but I literally have no idea what to do now.

All tips on how to save costs, who to use for what etc will be really appreciated.

I am from South Down but the likely venues will probably be in Co Louth (Ballymac, Carrickdale, 4 Seasons in Carlingford, Canal Court Newry all possibilities).

Can anyone in the area suggest a band?

Thanks!!

South down I'm also from the South Down area and been to a few weddings in the past year! There was a singer called Martina Cunningham that done one I was at, powerful so she was! Strongly recommend her! She comes from a musical background and is very professional in her approach to weddings from what I'm told! She often sings in the hotel in Hiltown too.

Here's a link to her Facebook. Congrats on the engagement and good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Martina-Cunningham-Music/497772420286839

Feckitt

The Nooks are a great band from around that area, or Raglan if your into more Irish stuff

omagh_gael

My cousin had a band called Dec05 play at her wedding in October last year. They were very good. Based in Drogheda I think.

supersarsfields

we had the John Peake experience and I think they are from that direction? Couldn't reccommend them enough. Really good.

But trust me I wouldn't bother with the planning yourself. Save yourself the time and just ask the missus what her plan is.