Off the Ball v Second Captains - So Who Won?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 26, 2013, 10:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

The Second Captains are funnier. Personally I enjoy Early's ramblings and Murph is very funny and likeable. Way prefer him to Wooly. A fiver a month is practically free anyway. Molloy can be brilliant though especially on serious topics(he's a pretty serious chap). His interview of David Walsh after the TUE scandal broke was as good a piece of radio as I've ever heard. Tore Walsh to shreds.

Declan

QuoteIt was good, wish it was longer, he held back I thought.

Listened to it last night -very interesting character and some career alright.  He held back a bit but I could understand why he would

Never beat the deeler

Lads what's the best app to download otb over WiFi and listen later? TIA

Have really gone off SC.

Don't like woolly but love the show. Think it's the most informed GAA podcast. Although I disagree with him on most things you have to admire how up front he is with his bias. He announces it and you can decide there and then to take it into account
Hasta la victoria siempre

gallsman

slippery dodger

What do people think of Off The Ball AM show that is on each morning? They are pushing a lot more quality content across their social media platforms and their online following is steadily growing. They have also introduced a TV set which looks quite professional and recently announced new lunchtime shows such as the "Keith Andrews Football show".
I don't think it would be a bad idea if Eir Sport cut a deal with them to feature the OTB AM as a morning segment on Eir Sport 1. They are definitely building towards something as there seems to be a lot of investment in it.

Main Street

I listen to OTB regularly, I've no opinion one way or the other about the 2nd captains except that they sound all a bit too young to me and maybe they'd appeal more to a younger audience.

I think OTB is a very good sports show,  with a a good variety to the content and opinions from the various presenters, which can keep me listening right through to the end.
But there's way too much rugby  and horse racing (not a human sport) and often enough I forget to tune back in whenever that stuff turns me off..
My pet hate - the  talk sport leading question that take 5 minutes of explaining all possible angles, leading to only one acceptable response from the interviewee.
I'll always listen to the Giles' slot on thursdays, even if he's saying the same stuff  week in week out  for the past 40 years.

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on January 19, 2018, 07:15:23 PM
I listen to OTB regularly, I've no opinion one way or the other about the 2nd captains except that they sound all a bit too young to me and maybe they'd appeal more to a younger audience.

I think OTB is a very good sports show,  with a a good variety to the content and opinions from the various presenters, which can keep me listening right through to the end.
But there's way too much rugby  and horse racing (not a human sport) and often enough I forget to tune back in whenever that stuff turns me off..
My pet hate - the  talk sport leading question that take 5 minutes of explaining all possible angles, leading to only one acceptable response from the interviewee.
I'll always listen to the Giles' slot on thursdays, even if he's saying the same stuff  week in week out  for the past 40 years.

Never listen to Giles because as you say he's being saying the exact same thing for 40 years, there's nothing new in it. I like most of OTB stuff but Dave Mc Intyre is a w**ker though, I thought it was just me he irked but his sanctimonious horseshit has obviously riled a lot of people on youtube if you read the comments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSDvHQ7XzsY&t=163s

Watch from 2:20, he's such an obnoxious w**ker I've to turn it off when he's on. A negative, melodramatic gobshite.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

That's a conversation about rugby, that's mostly gobbledygook to me. 
Does he get paid for wearing that idiotic brand label tee-shit?
The Gilbert ball in the middle of the table?  happenstance I suppose?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on January 19, 2018, 11:20:56 PM

Never listen to Giles because as you say he's being saying the exact same thing for 40 years, there's nothing new in it. I like most of OTB stuff but Dave Mc Intyre is a w**ker though, I thought it was just me he irked but his sanctimonious horseshit has obviously riled a lot of people on youtube if you read the comments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSDvHQ7XzsY&t=163s

Watch from 2:20, he's such an obnoxious w**ker I've to turn it off when he's on. A negative, melodramatic gobshite.

Nailed it
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 20, 2018, 10:15:18 PM

Nailed it
I don't get what happened there to arouse such passions. It sounded a very tame affair in the studio, a discussion about integrating a full back.

I heard Shearer the other day exclaim on MOTD that VAR was a shambles.,   a shambles!!!;D
That's the normal standards of melodrama.

Main Street

Never listen to Giles because as you say he's being saying the exact same thing for 40 years, there's nothing new in it....
Why do you want something new?
The man is special, one of the few real talented characters in Irish soccer, so much so that even if he repeats the same lines for 40 years, it's still interesting every time.