woman dies for want of a abortion

Started by guy crouchback, November 14, 2012, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

The content of the thread above and the abuse Iceman received from the "pen" of Gallsman suggests this is going to be a very brutal campaign to listen to.

Dinny Breen

On a personally level I would be anti-abortion, just doesn't sit comfortable with me but I would be very much pro-choice.

Unfortunately on this issue I think common sense will not be in much use especially when Ireland's self appointed moral guardians The Iona Institute are on the case. Won't be fun at all.

#repealthe8th
#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on January 30, 2018, 07:40:23 AM
The content of the thread above and the abuse Iceman received from the "pen" of Gallsman suggests this is going to be a very brutal campaign to listen to.

It always is when religious zealots have to fight to cling onto outdated societal rules. It's a fight worth having.

johnneycool

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 30, 2018, 10:43:37 AM
On a personally level I would be anti-abortion, just doesn't sit comfortable with me but I would be very much pro-choice.

That's my take on it as well.

I suppose the counter argument to that is murder in any form should be banned and that's very true and brings it right back to the most fundamental of questions of which there is no straightforward answer, when does life begin?

I don't know the answer to that and I suspect no one posting on here does with any certainty.

screenexile

It's going to be absolutely horrible on both sides more than likely . . . I'm going to try and stay away from it.

A bit like Dinny it's far from a black and white issue as either side would have you believe.

It is much more nuanced than that but I think we need a pathway for abortion in certain circumstances. Unfortunately there will be very few arguments of reason or consideration of both sides respectfully!

Farrandeelin

Beat me to it johnney. I'm very much against abortion myself, but seeing as it's such a complicated issue I suppose there's more to it than pro or anti abortion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2018, 10:54:49 AM

It's going to be absolutely horrible on both sides more than likely . . . I'm going to try and stay away from it.

A bit like Dinny it's far from a black and white issue as either side would have you believe.

It is much more nuanced than that but I think we need a pathway for abortion in certain circumstances. Unfortunately there will be very few arguments of reason or consideration of both sides respectfully!
Well said and exactly how I feel.
Having abortion on demand just doesn't sit right with me but I do agree in certain circumstances it is necessary.
I'm on the fence right now about how I would vote.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theskull1

Abortion on demand is such a pejorative description compared to giving a woman the right to choose. Always a red flag to me when I read so called impartial posts on the discussion.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

armaghniac

Quote from: theskull1 on January 30, 2018, 11:40:41 AM
Abortion on demand is such a pejorative description compared to giving a woman the right to choose. Always a red flag to me when I read so called impartial posts on the discussion.

OK then, let's agree that the issue is a woman's right to choose abortion on demand.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Rossfan

Trying to keep away from this subject so 1st and last comment.
I won't be voting for the death penalty for babies who have committed no crime.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Megaman

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2018, 11:59:03 AM

Exactly

Under certain circumstances it may seem appropriate, but murder is murder.

gallsman

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2018, 11:59:03 AM

State of you.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on January 30, 2018, 11:55:22 AM
Here we go.

You said it my man.

My only comment on this thread will be this and firstly on the "abortion on demand" term. It's a misleading and disingenuous term. No one is queueing up going "happy days....I'll be back soon for another one". This is a bad option all round. It's a horrific decision that some ladies and girls face and they opt for the least worst option.

Secondly. comments like some just before this that reduce the discussion to a black and white issue display either (a) a lack of intellect, (b) a lack of understanding of the issue or (c) and unwillingness to understand the complexities. My advice to anyone would be - don't listen to these types of arguments from any side.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 30, 2018, 12:24:23 PM

No one is queueing up going "happy days....I'll be back soon for another one". This is a bad option all round. It's a horrific decision that some ladies and girls face and they opt for the least worst option.

That argument however, is frequently made, including on this board. "It'll just be another form of contraception" etc. because, you know there's simply a gaggle of people out there who will ignore contraception because they have the option of a physically and psychologically traumatic procedure available to them.

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 30, 2018, 12:24:23 PM
Secondly. comments like some just before this that reduce the discussion to a black and white issue display either (a) a lack of intellect, (b) a lack of understanding of the issue or (c) and unwillingness to understand the complexities. My advice to anyone would be - don't listen to these types of arguments from any side.

A failing of the internet.