Personal Trainers

Started by The Iceman, October 28, 2016, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 11, 2024, 06:58:53 AM
Quote from: clarshack on January 10, 2024, 04:53:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 10, 2024, 04:34:20 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2024, 01:03:47 PMThe whole thing is f**ked. Can barely get near a GP never mind anything more serious.

I don't mean to sound like the smug fella abroad who shits on everything at home but I gave this example to a few lads at home (both North and South) and they genuinely didn't believe me. Spain is hardly a world leader in healthcare but the contrast with home shocked me.

Anyway, around the middle of August I slipped quite badly on the stairs down into my basement. They're concrete steps with a faux marble tile and a slipped quite neat the top. Managed to land the small of my back at a near perfect 45° angle onto the 90° cut of the step and then slid the whole way down to the bottom, about another 17/18 steps, bouncing the back off each one.

I was crocked for a couple of days. Getting up and sitting down was painful. Couldn't sit for more than 45 mins or so without needing to stretch out and lie down. A huge bruise on my back from my kidneys on round and the down the top of my arse cheeks developed. Being the idiot I am, I found myself getting a little bit better and a few weeks later I went on a stag. Was sore, but ok. Another few weeks later was feeling a bit of pain, about a month or 5 weeks after the fall. Decided I'd go to the doctor, for reassurance if nothing else.

Now I live in a back of beyond town in the arse end of nowhere about an hour outside Barcelona. Population a couple of thousand, max. We have our own little mini health centre with about 1.5 doctors and some nursing staff. It's a branch of a bigger centre in the nearest "big" town, population about 35,000. I decided I was going to go to doc late on a Tuesday night, so I used the public healthcare app to leave a note for reception to ask for an appointment. I got a call about 8.20 on the Wednesday morning asking what the story was and after telling her, had an appointment with the GP around 11.15. He did a few checks and figured I was largely fine and that pain and discomfort were all just deep tissue bruising and inflammation, but would need an x-ray to make sure no fracture in the coccyx. Booked me an x-ray that afternoon at the health centre (specifically not a hospital, like a massive GP but also has gynae care etc) in the equivalent of, I guess, a county town, population about 70-75,000 and a follow up for late on the Thursday morning to go over the results. Maybe a 20-25 minute drive from the house. Turned up on time, x-ray done, back home barely over an hour later. In for the results with the GP the next day, got the all clear, he prescribed some anti inflammatories and home I went.

So in the space of about 40 hours of having decided I wanted to see doctor, I'd seen my GP, had an x-ray, gone over the results, got my tablets and was back home with my feet up.

I have private health insurance through work, and pay for the rest of the family to be added to it. We almost never use it. Pregnancy and maternity care all through the public system.

It's 3 weeks to get the results of an x-ray in the North.

bust my knee in the summer. Went to A&E in craigavon. They sent me to minor injuries. Got an xray done there and they had the result in less than a half hour

3 weeks for a possible bigger issue and if it is then an MRI scan is required which will be a year wait unless you can get on the emergency list.

Milltown Row2

Took my daughter to A&E few years ago fell off her bike, waited a good bit x-ray done and the doctor told her a sprained wrist!

Which I said at the time all it was and we'd be wasting their and mine time going but hey ho..

The difference though is, if you are sent by your doctor for a scan and the like, it will be a while before that scan is fixed and then another while before you get contact from your GP on it...

People are not willing to wait that long anymore
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Quote from: general_lee on January 11, 2024, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2024, 01:03:47 PMThe whole thing is f**ked. Can barely get near a GP never mind anything more serious.

I don't mean to sound like the smug fella abroad who shits on everything at home but I gave this example to a few lads at home (both North and South) and they genuinely didn't believe me. Spain is hardly a world leader in healthcare but the contrast with home shocked me.

Anyway, around the middle of August I slipped quite badly on the stairs down into my basement. They're concrete steps with a faux marble tile and a slipped quite neat the top. Managed to land the small of my back at a near perfect 45° angle onto the 90° cut of the step and then slid the whole way down to the bottom, about another 17/18 steps, bouncing the back off each one.

I was crocked for a couple of days. Getting up and sitting down was painful. Couldn't sit for more than 45 mins or so without needing to stretch out and lie down. A huge bruise on my back from my kidneys on round and the down the top of my arse cheeks developed. Being the idiot I am, I found myself getting a little bit better and a few weeks later I went on a stag. Was sore, but ok. Another few weeks later was feeling a bit of pain, about a month or 5 weeks after the fall. Decided I'd go to the doctor, for reassurance if nothing else.

Now I live in a back of beyond town in the arse end of nowhere about an hour outside Barcelona. Population a couple of thousand, max. We have our own little mini health centre with about 1.5 doctors and some nursing staff. It's a branch of a bigger centre in the nearest "big" town, population about 35,000. I decided I was going to go to doc late on a Tuesday night, so I used the public healthcare app to leave a note for reception to ask for an appointment. I got a call about 8.20 on the Wednesday morning asking what the story was and after telling her, had an appointment with the GP around 11.15. He did a few checks and figured I was largely fine and that pain and discomfort were all just deep tissue bruising and inflammation, but would need an x-ray to make sure no fracture in the coccyx. Booked me an x-ray that afternoon at the health centre (specifically not a hospital, like a massive GP but also has gynae care etc) in the equivalent of, I guess, a county town, population about 70-75,000 and a follow up for late on the Thursday morning to go over the results. Maybe a 20-25 minute drive from the house. Turned up on time, x-ray done, back home barely over an hour later. In for the results with the GP the next day, got the all clear, he prescribed some anti inflammatories and home I went.

So in the space of about 40 hours of having decided I wanted to see doctor, I'd seen my GP, had an x-ray, gone over the results, got my tablets and was back home with my feet up.

I have private health insurance through work, and pay for the rest of the family to be added to it. We almost never use it. Pregnancy and maternity care all through the public system.

bust my knee in the summer. Went to A&E in craigavon. They sent me to minor injuries. Got an xray done there and they had the result in less than a half hour
Just like the lottery, sometimes you get lucky!

seems to be pretty standard with MIU

general_lee

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 11, 2024, 09:26:39 AM
Quote from: general_lee on January 11, 2024, 08:25:33 AM

Just like the lottery, sometimes you get lucky!

seems to be pretty standard with MIU
Was always told to go to south Tyrone to avoid a long wait

Keyser soze

Spain has a first class medical system, as have most countries in the developed world.

The UK has of course the "world leading" NHS.

The amount of shit we have been fed, and took at face value, listening to the BBC [and others] when we were growing up is mind boggling.

johnnycool

Quote from: JoG2 on January 10, 2024, 06:47:01 PMHere's a goodin... Pack of paracetamol is about £1 if not less. These, along with dozens of other cheap medications are available for free on the NHS.
By the time it goes through a health centre, admin staff, GP, script printed, collected and gets sent out to the pharmacy of choice, that £1 costs the NHS (us) £58.
The system is broken beyond belief.
Great for acute issues, anything else, a disaster

My Dad was put on paracetamol by the GP, but every once in a while we'd forget to drop in the repeat prescription for the clinic to process through the chemist, so I'd bought a box of the very same paracetamol over the counter, but get this, his carers weren't allowed to give him that paracetamol as it wasn't prescribed by the GP.
I shít you not.

If anyone thinks GP's are overpaid, why is there a shortage of them and the younger ones are taking off to the South and over to GB FFS.

You'd pay a plumber more than a Junior Doctor at the minute.

imtommygunn

They're not overpaid at all. How much public liability do they have to pay a year for example? They have a decent salary but a ton of expenses and a high pressure job.

Armagh18

Quote from: Keyser soze on January 11, 2024, 09:35:16 AMSpain has a first class medical system, as have most countries in the developed world.

The UK has of course the "world leading" NHS.

The amount of shit we have been fed, and took at face value, listening to the BBC [and others] when we were growing up is mind boggling.
I remember it being good years ago. Near a decade and a half of the fecking Tories will wreck anything.

Tony Baloney

*ALWAYS* go to Dungannon Minor Injuries if it's within striking distance of you. You'll be out in 30 mins. But don't tell everyone in case it fills up.  ;)

Milltown Row2

Was out walking the dogs earlier there and bumped into friends, doing the same!

Anyways asking about the kids and so on, their daughter (and her boyfriend) both qualified doctors working in Brisbane, probably over 2 or 3 years now, so looking to come back for the summer, both have applied for various jobs, thinking that the possibility of getting back will be so much easier, but they've been told that the positions are over prescribed and they'll more than likely not get a job back in the UK..

I thought we couldn't get doctors? It's a strange one, considering what the media and governments have been saying
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea