Six counties to lose 2 more players to the proper Ireland team

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ah poor wittle nigel, no-one wants to take his calls!
Gurning aul shite.  :D

NI poised to lose Devine and Ferguson to Republic
Northern Ireland are set to see another two of their young players switching allegience to the Republic of Ireland.

NI boss Nigel Worthington has been informed that Preston North End defender Daniel Devine has opted to play for the Republic.

Worthington believes Shane Ferguson intends making the same move after the Newcastle United defender failed to reply to his calls.

A Fifa ruling allows N Ireland-born players to opt for the Republic.

Fifa rules include a clause allowing players to change nationality once before they play a senior competitive match if they were born "on the territory of the relevant association".

The Good Friday Agreement of 1998 provided for Northern Ireland-born people to claim either British or Irish nationality.

Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson, Daniel Kearns and Paul George have already made the move to the Republic.

There is a good production line here and to lose them is disappointing. Quote Nigel Worthington

Teenagers Devine and Ferguson, who played for the senior team in a friendly against Italy in 2009, have also represented Northern Ireland at youth level.

A disappointed Worthington wants further clarification on the eligibility ruling.

"It needs to be more black and white - to put all the indecision to bed once and for all," he said.

"It's frustrating and disappointing that a lot of time, energy, commitment and finance goes into these players over a period of years and then when they are 17, 18, 19 or even 20, there is the opportunity for them, because of the ruling, to vacate to another country.

"There is a good production line here and to lose them is disappointing.

"I've left voicemails, text messages and made random calls to Shane (Ferguson) but at no time did we get a reply."
Tbc....

laoislad

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 18, 2011, 09:50:31 AM
Ah poor wittle nigel, no-one wants to take his calls!
Gurning aul shite.  :D

"I've left voicemails, text messages and made random calls to Shane (Ferguson) but at no time did we get a reply."

While I think it's great these players want to play for the Republic, I think this guy  Shane Ferguson could have least answered or returned a call to Worthington to tell him of his intentions.
Manners cost nothing and I think it reflects poorly on Ferguson.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Ulick

Quote from: laoislad on May 18, 2011, 09:55:53 AM
While I think it's great these players want to play for the Republic, I think this guy  Shane Ferguson could have least answered or returned a call to Worthington to tell him of his intentions.
Manners cost nothing and I think it reflects poorly on Ferguson.

Do you know that he or someone on his behalf didn't inform Worthington?

Canalman

haranguerer

That isnt gonna change anything. Practically all nationalists in the 6 who follow soccer follow the RoI team. This isn't gonna change any time soon, and it isn't helped my gtsq, sectarian behaviour of fans, abuse of catholic players by their own supporters etc, but that isnt the main reason.

Players play for NI underage because thats where the system leads them, then that may follow on to the senior squad if they're good enough, but if they're good enough to attract interest from both jurisdictions, they're obviously gonna choose the team they have supported from childhood.

Bensars

Quote from: haranguerer on May 18, 2011, 11:17:59 AM
That isnt gonna change anything. Practically all nationalists in the 6 who follow soccer follow the RoI team. This isn't gonna change any time soon, and it isn't helped my gtsq, sectarian behaviour of fans, abuse of catholic players by their own supporters etc, but that isnt the main reason.

Players play for NI underage because thats where the system leads them, then that may follow on to the senior squad if they're good enough, but if they're good enough to attract interest from both jurisdictions, they're obviously gonna choose the team they have supported from childhood.

Or the team that has a greater chance of qualifying for a major competition !

Olaf

,abuse of catholic players by their own supporters etc, but that isnt the main reason.[/b]

The emboldened part  of your first paragraph isn't happening.

The second paragraph is closer to reality.

DoireGael

I know Shane he's a great young fella and was a handy Gaelic Football for Faughanvale GAC up in Doire, went to Saint Mary's Limavady were his PE teacher was Mickey Moran. Great at the ground stuff, as you can tell, always running about in a ROI jersey. Goodluck to him in finally getting to represent the nation.

Ulick

Young nationalists are going to have to want to play for the IFA team and at the moment there is nothing there to encourage them to give their allegiance to the north. It's not enough to stop abusing players what they'll need to do afford equal respect to the Irish traditions/identity on this island. There are two ways they could do this:

• remove all British trappings such as the anthem and symbols of the discredited Stormont regime, replace them with something neutral and hope they can foster something in the future everyone can identify with
  • afford equal status for Irish symbols and flags

Neither is going to be palatable for the NI soccer crowd I suspect. 

DoireGael

Quote from: Ulick on May 18, 2011, 11:53:54 AM
Young nationalists are going to have to want to play for the IFA team and at the moment there is nothing there to encourage them to give their allegiance to the north. It's not enough to stop abusing players what they'll need to do afford equal respect to the Irish traditions/identity on this island. There are two ways they could do this:

• remove all British trappings such as the anthem and symbols of the discredited Stormont regime, replace them with something neutral and hope they can foster something in the future everyone can identify with

Correct

deiseach

Quote from: Ulick on May 18, 2011, 11:53:54 AM

In fairness, the NI soccer crowd could do everything you ask and I doubt it would make one person change his mind about who they want to play for. So why, apart from a pompous desire to 'do the right thing', should they bother?

haranguerer

Quote from: Olaf on May 18, 2011, 11:45:52 AM
,abuse of catholic players by their own supporters etc, but that isnt the main reason.[/b]

The emboldened part  of your first paragraph isn't happening.

The second paragraph is closer to reality.

I didnt say it was currently happening - but it has happened, (and the reaction was pretty sickening too - Jackie 'I think there were less boos that time' Fullerton) and I dont think anyone would be particularly surprised if it happened again.

AQMP

I'm sure this has been asked before but can someone from the South declare for the North?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: AQMP on May 18, 2011, 01:11:33 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but can someone from the South declare for the North?

Yes, but why would anyone want to.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.