Come back Andy Gray, all is forgiven

Started by GalwayBayBoy, April 08, 2011, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteRetired Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville has been signed up by Sky Sports as part of the punditry team for next season, as exclusively revealed by Sportsmail in January.

The 35-year-old called time on his glittering career earlier this year, ahead of schedule, and has already made a handful of appearances in the television studios.

Neville's transition into broadcasting has been accelerated following the 'Linogate' affair which saw veterans Andy Gray and Richard Keys leave the company.

The defender is viewed by Sky as another front-line pundit to work alongside or alternate with Jamie Redknapp, both having the experience of a modern football dressing room.

However, the opinionated Neville will be a controversial appointment, especially on Merseyside with his well-documented dislike of Scousers, although former Anfield idol Redknapp, 37, can provide the counterbalance.

Sky are believed to initially have begun talks with Neville last summer as it became apparent that injuries where catching up with the 85-capped man.

The player, one of the most respected figures in the modern game, was not short of offers after hanging up his boots, with a coaching role at Old Trafford or a job with the Professional Footballers' Association two of the most tempting.

The confirmation from Sky comes on the same day details of Neville's testimonial were announced.

After his 18-year one-club career, the defender will be honoured when the Red Devils tackle Italian giants Juventus at Old Trafford on May 24.

His final game at West Brom on January 1 saw him fortunate to escape a red card for the second time this season and it was clear the huge number of injuries Neville suffered in the latter stages of his career had taken their toll.

Those difficult last few games will not be allowed to overshadow a fabulous career though, which began with a debut against Torpedo Moscow as a 17-year-old.

By the time he retired, Neville had made 602 appearances for the club he supported all his life, won eight Premier League titles, three FA Cups, two League Cups and the Champions League in 1999. In addition, Neville won 85 England caps.

AQMP

Now repeat after me Gary..."Did you smash it?"

paco

mannix

he sounds like a woman, at least gray had a bit of presence to his voice. some people don,t fit the tv thing at all.

ziggysego

I really hope Phil doesn't retire anytime soon! Can you imagine that, Gary in studio and Phil co commentating.
Testing Accessibility

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Up The Middle

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

new devil

:D :D Even in retirement he can still wind the scousers up....Looking forward to hearing what Gaz has to say

Bingo

Personality of a goldfish - will suit sky perfectly.

EC Unique

No point writing him off until he gets a go although no matter what he does he will never be accepted by Liverpool fans (not that it really matters). I must say I would like Gray back now as the replacements so far have been rank.

Doogie Browser

EC he has been on 3 or 4 times this season already, boring cnut is terrible. I remember him doing the 2002 WC for ITV and he was shit then too. I always enjoy the older ex-pros, StJohn for example was on one sunday and was great value.

laoislad

He will have to shave,that smig he has been trying to grow since he was 17 will look terrible in HD...As for 3D  :o
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

new devil

Bingo

Hoof Hearted

some people are wile on here about punditry. It's simple, don;t listen to them. Be it Soccer, Rugby or GAA i turn it over at the HT whistle and FT whistle. I know what happens in a game, i dont need Joe Brolly, Keith Wood or Jamie fuckin Redknapp to tell me.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012