Prayers and praying.......

Started by PadraicHenryPearse, March 04, 2011, 03:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on March 04, 2011, 11:28:53 PM
Stopped praying. As for believing, I'm coming around to the belated conclusion that it makes absolute no sense at all to anyone who can think logically.
Well until believers discharge the burden of proof I don't intend to spend much time on the old praying lark.

J70

Haven't prayed since I became old enough and wise enough to cop myself on and break out of the cycle of superstition. Pure delusion. If whatever outcome you were hoping for occurs, your prayers were answered. If not, well it was "just god's will"!!  Anytime any well-meaning relative says they'll pray for me for whatever reason, I thank them and ask them to instead spend their valuable time on something that might actually make a difference!

ardal

Quote from: ziggysego on March 04, 2011, 02:14:08 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 04, 2011, 01:04:38 PM
freaky...my deepest post ever was actually my 666th post.... :o

The number of the beast is 616.

That's the number of my parents house Ziggy, ya fecker.

Pray to St Jude (lost causes I believe, or not depending on whether the big J / G exists) everytime my club plays.

On a deeper note, I live life by a simple rule, "do unto others what you'd like others to do unto you". No sexual connotations please.

laoislad

Can never understand why those who don't believe always feel the need or feel they have the right to mock those that do believe.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Iceman

Quote from: Cold tea on March 04, 2011, 10:25:57 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2011, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 04, 2011, 07:12:57 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 04, 2011, 10:03:25 AM
When I say I'll pray, I do. I say a Hail Mary and an Our Father, whilst keeping the subject of the prayer in my mind.
God must get sick listening to the same thing over and over and over again.
The Our Father is actually Jesus' own instructions on how to pray. He taught the Our Father and prefaced it with "when you pray, pray like this....."
Can't go wrong there....

How do you know this?

Its in the Bible lad. Maybe if you took some time to study it, fully understand it alongside the catechism and the traditions and teachings of the Church passed down over 2000 years you wouldn't need to ask or as your set up question would suggest; criticise.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Cold tea

Quote from: The Iceman on March 05, 2011, 02:44:27 AM
Quote from: Cold tea on March 04, 2011, 10:25:57 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2011, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 04, 2011, 07:12:57 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 04, 2011, 10:03:25 AM
When I say I'll pray, I do. I say a Hail Mary and an Our Father, whilst keeping the subject of the prayer in my mind.
God must get sick listening to the same thing over and over and over again.
The Our Father is actually Jesus' own instructions on how to pray. He taught the Our Father and prefaced it with "when you pray, pray like this....."
Can't go wrong there....

How do you know this?

Its in the Bible lad. Maybe if you took some time to study it, fully understand it alongside the catechism and the traditions and teachings of the Church passed down over 2000 years you wouldn't need to ask or as your set up question would suggest; criticise.

Study what, something that was written decades after Jesus died by people who never met the man, you will be telling me next Dorothy really did leave Kansas!!!

CiKe

Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2011, 12:01:12 AM
Can never understand why those who don't believe always feel the need or feel they have the right to mock those that do believe.

+1. Each to their own.

theskull1

Because the vast majority are no better than domesticated sheep when it comes to your faith. Its a routine of life learned before youse were encouraged to question and youse still havn't examined it. Quite happy to stay safe with your primary school indoctrination and not ask questions.

I think people like Iceman (who questions but has came to a different conclusion than me) is bound to see this in a lot of folk who like to say they believe but dont back it up with an real commitment.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Hardy

Surely it's a zero sum game, so if you believe your prayer was answered you must know it was at the expense of some poor bugger who got hit by a bus so that your kid could pass the Leaving. It's the cosmic equivalent of getting your FF TD (ah the days!) to fix the planning permission.

laoislad

Quote from: theskull1 on March 05, 2011, 08:31:10 AM

Because the vast majority are no better than domesticated sheep when it comes to your faith. Its a routine of life learned before youse were encouraged to question and youse still havn't examined it. Quite happy to stay safe with your primary school indoctrination and not ask questions.

Be that true or not and I have no idea how who know this considering the billions of people that do have faith,but how exactly does this give anyone the right to mock people that do believe?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

pintsofguinness

We've people on this board from both sides - some who believe and who think they are better than those who don't and some who don't believe and think they are better than those who do.

Both are equally annoying. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

There are also people who don't believe, but don't think they're better than those who do and people who believe, but don't think they're better than those who don't.

Feel free to give your head a shake.

Big Puff

No one can be sure that it works, or even has any benefit whatsoever, but it definetely wont do any harm!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on March 05, 2011, 11:04:06 AM
There are also people who don't believe, but don't think they're better than those who do and people who believe, but don't think they're better than those who don't.

Feel free to give your head a shake.
I'll nod in agreement.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rav67

Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2011, 10:17:38 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 05, 2011, 08:31:10 AM

Be that true or not and I have no idea how who know this considering the billions of people that do have faith,but how exactly does this give anyone the right to mock people that do believe?

Sure people get mocked for other things on the board and in everyday life, there's no reason religious belief should be exempt