Learning the guitar

Started by MR E, December 29, 2009, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: muppet on January 03, 2010, 09:23:25 PM
Puck any tips for getting rid of (or at least reducing) that noise of fingers sliding up/down strings?

Always been part of the sound for me!!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Puckoon

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on January 04, 2010, 10:33:39 AM
Quote from: muppet on January 03, 2010, 09:23:25 PM
Puck any tips for getting rid of (or at least reducing) that noise of fingers sliding up/down strings?

Always been part of the sound for me!!

I think you are right - but I guess some recording artists dont like it.

I was just listening to the blowers daughter there, and its quite frequent on that track when he slides from E-A and then from A-B.

muppet

Quote from: Puckoon on January 04, 2010, 04:17:03 AM
Muppet,
I actually hadn't noticed the squeak in years, but I was sure it still existed so I tried to run a little experiment before replying.

Sure enough, on certain runs, or chord progressions it's still there if I listen for it, but markedly different on my two guitars.

One is my performing guitar which I use weekly for 3-4 hours at a time so I guess it has more of my natural oils on the fret board and the strings, which are medium gauge d'addario exps. They are also bout 6 weeks old.

The other guitar doesn't get played too much, but it has higher action, newer less used strings, and the strings are elixers.

So, because that didn't really help I looked at some forums and the suggestions ranged from using moisturizer on your hands, and string lube on your guitar, to sliding your fingers more on their sides, as opposed to their tips.

I went back and played the same runs again and realised I do kind of release fingertip pressure onto their sides when I'm sliding, which I presume may be why I don't notice the noise so much anymore.

It's not a noise that particularly would bother me anyway, do you get it a lot?

No way am I using moisturiser after my comments on the other thread!

I get it mainly playing power chords, e.g. The White Stripes, and it is way too loud. I might try your side pressure tip.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

Thats because you are playing the same finger shapes, but just moving them up and down the fretboard, but Im sure you know that.

Just lift your hands off a little bit and it should work too - or dampen the strings with the palm of your strumming hand.

I never pictured you playing power chords! Funny old thing this internet persona. :D

muppet

Quote from: Puckoon on January 05, 2010, 06:04:58 PM
Thats because you are playing the same finger shapes, but just moving them up and down the fretboard, but Im sure you know that.

Just lift your hands off a little bit and it should work too - or dampen the strings with the palm of your strumming hand.

I never pictured you playing power chords! Funny old thing this internet persona. :D

I don't normally play them but would like to be smoother. I am just about intermediate but kinda skipped most of the basics.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

I picked up this little beauty from a rich kid up at lake tahoe who didnt give a damn how much he got for it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-Stage-BJ350-CR4-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-Guitar-500480-i1427511.gc

One year old, barely played = he took $300 with a hardshell case included. 900$ new, so I think I got a good deal. Going to work the finger tips though.

Any bass players here? The old man just started on the upright bass - now there is an instrument!

crossdoesitbest

Some of my mates learned from a site called justinguitar.com. It's supposed to be very good and the guy that runs it asks for a voluntary donation if you're happy with the site.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Puckoon on January 03, 2010, 04:26:31 PM
Get yourself a metronome to keep time to, or play along with tracks for basic rythmn skills.

If you need to count in your head, just do it.

Once you get basic timing down you should be able to progress.

I think it's just like everything else, walk before running.

Sound advice.
My tip would be that, if there is drumming in the song, listen to the drum rhythm and strum along to that - if not, try and listen to how the guitarist is strumming on the song. For me, this is as important as learning the chords - have heard so many guys who can master the chords wreck a song by not strumming properly.

If you want, you could even buy a set of cheap bongos to play along to songs with - this will help build the rhythm in your head.

I have also found the following songs as a good starting point, both in D, with chords G and A - can post the chords up if anyone wants them.

Will ye go Lassie go
and The Man who can't be Moved by The Script

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

ballygawleyman

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 23, 2010, 08:56:24 AM
Get yourself a metronome to keep time to, or play along with tracks for basic rythmn skills.

Sound advice.
My tip would be that, if there is drumming in the song, listen to the drum rhythm and strum along to that - if not, try and listen to how the guitarist is strumming on the song. For me, this is as important as learning the chords - have heard so many guys who can master the chords wreck a song by not strumming properly.

If you want, you could even buy a set of cheap bongos to play along to songs with - this will help build the rhythm in your head.

I have also found the following songs as a good starting point, both in D, with chords G and A - can post the chords up if anyone wants them.

Will ye go Lassie go

Post the chords and strumming pattern for The man who cant be moved. Please.

el_cuervo_fc

Marty Schwartz on youtube can give you some helpful advice.

He's got a load of guitar lessons loaded onto his page

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on November 23, 2010, 08:56:24 AM

Sound advice.

Will ye go Lassie go

The Man who can't be Moved
Please note these chords were made out for guitar beginners - a more complex tablature can be found on the likes of Ultimate Guitar
- Still sounds good
"The Man Who Can't Be Moved"

D                                              A
Going Back to the corner where I first saw you
G                                        A
Gonna camp in my sleeping bag I'm not gonna move
D                                         A
Got some words on cardboard, got your picture in my hand
Saying, "If you see this girl can you tell her where I am?"
D                                                     A
Some try to hand me money, they don't understand
G                                                    A
I'm not broke I'm just a broken hearted man
D                                                    A
I know it makes no sense but what else can I do
G                                                     A
How can I move on when I'm still in love with you
CHORUS
    D                                        A
'Cause if one day you wake up and find that you're missing me
And your heart starts to wonder where on this earth I could be
D                                        A
Thinkin maybe you'll come back here to the place that we'd meet
G                                       A
And you'll see me waiting for you on our corner of the street
D               A                      G
So I'm not moving, I'm not moving

- Strumming is one down stroke on each chord in the verse and only play another down stroke on the next chord, thus leaving a gap between the chords.

Once you reach the chorus it is normal regular 1-2-3-4 down-stroke played at the same speed as the song you know. Repeat chord pattern for rest of verses and chorus

Hardy

Guitar men - a market research type question.

Suppose there was software available (running on your PC) that allowed you to take any track in your digital music selection and

- suppress the lead guitar part so that you can play it on your guitar along with the modified track (e.g. you can be Clapton playing Crossroads with Cream);
- extract the lead guitar from it to listen to it separately/play along with it, slowed down to your proficiency level while you learn, but preserving correct pitch.

Would you find a tool like that of no interest/interesting/useful/must have?

Would you pay for it?

How much would you pay for it?

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Hardy on November 23, 2010, 11:19:18 PM

Suppose there was software available (running on your PC) that allowed you to take any track in your digital music selection and

- suppress the lead guitar part so that you can play it on your guitar along with the modified track (e.g. you can be Clapton playing Crossroads with Cream);
- extract the lead guitar from it to listen to it separately/play along with it, slowed down to your proficiency level while you learn, but preserving correct pitch.

Would you pay for it?

Personally would find it useful Hardy, but would be a must have for performing musicians.

If you are asking would there be a market for this, a lot of money is spent by one/two man bands sequencing backing tracks for their performances in the local pub on a Fri/Sat night.

A lot of potential for a karaoke type program that allows guitarists go out and earn a living by themselves, definitely. That would increase the amount you could sell it for.

Puckoon

Would you pay for it?

Definitely be interesting to have. Fact is you'd still have to learn the damn crossroads solo.

brokencrossbar1

Would you pay for it?

is that not something similar to the idea behind Guitar hero and all those types of games??  Are ye doing some diverisifying?  Will there be a version for the Fiddle? :P