Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2017, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 21, 2017, 10:38:01 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 21, 2017, 09:26:17 AM
My second time doing - great event - weather Gods were with us yesterday too

We got lucky alright. Glad to get finished before the rain started. The debate is on now whether to go to the next level or not

Huge step up all the same! toying with it for about a year now, takes a huge commitment training wise to get to that level... 2 close friends have competed in 6 different Ironman competitions around Europe. They were mainly cyclists and had to improve their running and swimming to be able to get over the line... Years ago you could have finished regardless of the time but now you have a time limit for each part, if you don't complete it they stop you before you take up the next stage

Am signed up for a full distance next year

Walter Cronc

Slightly off topic. Anyone ever went private on an MRI scan following an injury?

What sort of money you talking?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 21, 2017, 11:31:38 AM
Slightly off topic. Anyone ever went private on an MRI scan following an injury?

from €200 up

http://www.alliancemedical.ie/medical-scan-prices/

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: heffo on August 21, 2017, 11:15:20 AM

We got lucky alright. Glad to get finished before the rain started. The debate is on now whether to go to the next level or not

Huge step up all the same! toying with it for about a year now, takes a huge commitment training wise to get to that level... 2 close friends have competed in 6 different Ironman competitions around Europe. They were mainly cyclists and had to improve their running and swimming to be able to get over the line... Years ago you could have finished regardless of the time but now you have a time limit for each part, if you don't complete it they stop you before you take up the next stage

Seems like a big step up alright. The cycling and swimming wouldn't bother me. The running would be my weakest so I'd need to get plenty of miles under the belt. Struggled with the run yesterday but still got under 2 hours for the half marathon so I was happy enough. The cycle went well so I'd a good cushion to finish under the 5:30 mark.

Where are you signed up for next year heffo?

heffo

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 21, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

Seems like a big step up alright. The cycling and swimming wouldn't bother me. The running would be my weakest so I'd need to get plenty of miles under the belt. Struggled with the run yesterday but still got under 2 hours for the half marathon so I was happy enough. The cycle went well so I'd a good cushion to finish under the 5:30 mark.

That's a great time to finish in yesterday.

I'm doing Austria

manfromdelmonte

I did a sprint triathlon few years back
did 4/5 weeks training
mainly swimming and cycling
did no running training as I had a knee injury

was really enjoyable and finished in top 20 and a really good time.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 21, 2017, 11:51:00 AM

from €200 up

http://www.alliancemedical.ie/medical-scan-prices/

Cheers lad

imtommygunn

I got it on private health a few years ago. Thought it was 400ish but likely marked up for bupa.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heffo on August 21, 2017, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 21, 2017, 12:01:39 PM

That's a great time to finish in yesterday.

I'm doing Austria

Fair play lads! Under 2hours for the running at that stage is good going!

For me the cycling would be my weakest as I don't bother training with it, you can be as fit as you like but unless you put the miles in for cycling you're beat!!

I think one of the guys I know did Austria last year! He's older than me my height (small) but feck he's fit as feck! Seems for them they just have a small break during the winter, and back at it.. I'm struggling to stick to my marathon training never mind training for Ironman
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

el_cuervo_fc

Marathon training is tough going. The big runs each week fairly sap the energy levels. 9 odd weeks left to Dublin so I'd need to get my finger out

Milltown Row2

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on August 21, 2017, 08:20:38 PM
Marathon training is tough going. The big runs each week fairly sap the energy levels. 9 odd weeks left to Dublin so I'd need to get my finger out

Been doing 15 miles handy enough lately with no niggles and recovery is very quick...Championship season and can't get regular runs due to refereeing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Got round the Warriors Run yesterday. Feckin delighted. Huge for me personally after having major surgery in February. My 3rd one and easily the toughest due to the wet conditions on the mountain but strangely my lower expectations meant I probably enjoyed* the run more than other years (* in as much as you can enjoy this kid of torture). I would have been content to get round in 2 hours so my 1:54:15 was more than satisfying. The winner did it in 53 minutes odd which is simply insane. I had my TomTom watch and iPhone (mapmyrun) on me and they measured the course at 14.1k and 14.4k respectively (anyone else think mapmyrun is calibrated on the forgiving side?). Anyway - brilliantly run event yet again and a super night afterwards. 900+ runners.

laoislad

Well done seanie. Great achievement especially after your health scare.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Well done Seanie. Serious race!

imtommygunn

Yeah well done seanie. I have heard great reports about that race and the night drinking afterwards.