Guitar Help

Started by Joxer, April 28, 2009, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joxer

Bought myself a guitar at the weekend.  How hard is it to pick a few things up by yourself?  or has anyone any tips for me starting off?

blewuporstuffed

there is some great stuff on you tube( and some carap aswell!)
lessons and stuff,people showing how to play different songs
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

under the bar

Don't dilute your probable colossal talent by taking silly lessons. 

- Form a band and organise a debut gig
- Over-hype the life out of it maximising social networking and draw a big crowd. 
- Have a  drinks promo and a DJ to whip the crown into a frenzy.   
- Take the stage to "Jesus Christ Superstar" blaring out.
- Turn the volume up to 15 and make their ears bleed with unbearable noise
- Smash your instruments after 20 mins seriously injuring some of those at the front
- Disappear into the night
- Sit back an await a) the police and b) a record deal in that order.
- Milk it for whatever you can get in your allocated 5 mins of fame/infamy

thejuice

What kinda guitar you got?

Here's what I'd recommend.

1. Get a few lessons to get you of the ground.

2. Get a chord book

3. Learn how to read guitar tab and use sites like http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ for your favourite songs.

4. Be patient, it will take a while but just stick with it.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

downgirl

Are you wanting to do a musical number in the scór next year joxer??  I put up links there of the videos I have found so far of the AI by the way!

longball

Just a word of advice if u are considering starting a band u have to learn to take the good times with the bad. Let me tell u a little story about what happened me,
Me and some guys from school, we had a Band and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit and Jody got married
I shualda known we'd never get far

Oh when I lock back now that summer seems to last forever
And if I had the choice I'd always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

muppet

Try the free (donations accepted) but excellent Guitarnoise.com

I never bothered with lessons which is probably a mistake but more fun.

Pick a simple song or two that you like and work at it. If you don't like the song you'll get fed up and won't touch the guitar for months so choose well.That site above should have something for you but try ultimate-guitar as mentioned above. Also fro an Irish flavour try http://www.iol.ie/~murphypj/

I found that there would seem to be no improvement for ages then suddenly a number of breakthroughs would come together followed by another slow period.

After a bit of practise force yourself to play in front of people at a party or whatever. After a couple of dodgy performances then you'll start working hard at it.

Great instrument though and well worth the effort to be able to stand up and do your party piece, even just at a party.

MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2009, 02:56:41 PM
Try the free (donations accepted) but excellent Guitarnoise.com

I never bothered with lessons which is probably a mistake but more fun.

Pick a simple song or two that you like and work at it. If you don't like the song you'll get fed up and won't touch the guitar for months so choose well.That site above should have something for you but try ultimate-guitar as mentioned above. Also fro an Irish flavour try http://www.iol.ie/~murphypj/

I found that there would seem to be no improvement for ages then suddenly a number of breakthroughs would come together followed by another slow period.

After a bit of practise force yourself to play in front of people at a party or whatever. After a couple of dodgy performances then you'll start working hard at it.

Great instrument though and well worth the effort to be able to stand up and do your party piece, even just at a party.

Come on Muppet whats your party Piece ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Joxer

Quote from: downgirl on April 28, 2009, 02:11:32 PM
Are you wanting to do a musical number in the scór next year joxer??  I put up links there of the videos I have found so far of the AI by the way!

Jesus no lol,  I'd be a brave man attempting that in the next 5 years lol

blewuporstuffed

learning how to read tab is a big thing after you master a half dozen basic chords.
it looks daunting at first but really is easy,if you spend the time on it.
there are a few good magazines (total guitar) that explain it very well, but they are expensive and after you've learned to read it most of the stuff is on the net for nothing, like ultimate-guitar.com as mentioned.
some of the brit poppy songs(oasis/travis that sort of thing) arent bad to start with as they are usually made up of a handful of easy chords(and people know the words!!)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Puckoon

joxer,
It's gotten so much easier with the resources available in the Internet. They've all been mentioned here.
A good chord book is a great start ( your finger tips are gonna hurt, but you'll get used to that) and you'll be flying.
Good luck with it.

Btw, what kinda guitar did you get?

The Gs Man

Quote from: under the bar on April 28, 2009, 01:51:46 PM
Don't dilute your probable colossal talent by taking silly lessons. 

- Form a band and organise a debut gig
- Over-hype the life out of it maximising social networking and draw a big crowd. 
- Have a  drinks promo and a DJ to whip the crown into a frenzy.   
- Take the stage to "Jesus Christ Superstar" blaring out.
- Turn the volume up to 15 and make their ears bleed with unbearable noise
- Smash your instruments after 20 mins seriously injuring some of those at the front
- Disappear into the night
- Sit back an await a) the police and b) a record deal in that order.
- Milk it for whatever you can get in your allocated 5 mins of fame/infamy

Thats like any gig Ive ever played.

Joxer, buy a capo and start with Wonderwall.
Keep 'er lit

Joxer

Quote from: Puckoon on April 28, 2009, 03:42:06 PM
joxer,
It's gotten so much easier with the resources available in the Internet. They've all been mentioned here.
A good chord book is a great start ( your finger tips are gonna hurt, but you'll get used to that) and you'll be flying.
Good luck with it.

Epiphone Accoustic,  Seems pretty decent

muppet

Quote from: Joxer on April 28, 2009, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 28, 2009, 03:42:06 PM
joxer,
Good luck with it.

Epiphone Accoustic,  Seems pretty decent

Same as myself, hope you do better with it though.
MWWSI 2017