Ray Darcy

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, November 11, 2008, 11:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

What's the story about him replacing big Derek Mooney? Has Derek's show been axed or what? I like his show.

muppet

Quote from: Hereiam on December 08, 2014, 11:54:16 AM
Just after hearing this news. I have watched & listened to Darcy a lot over the years. The show had become very stale lately and he was off nearly a month back in the summer so I am not surprised he is gone. It happened very sudden in the end as he was on Friday with no mention and then today he is gone. Must of been some sort of fall out.
I know he is not everyone's cup of tea but I have been with him from his days on The Den but I don't think I will be moving to RTE Radio 1.
The radio has changed so much in the last 5-6 years and I mean in a bad way with crap presenters.

Before that we had a raft of new stations bringing enthusiasm and new ideas (although some probably copied from abroad). This freshened things up a lot. I am thinking of shows like The Last Word, Dempsey, Tom Dunne's music show and to be fair Darcy for a while as well. But after they were new, they became the norm and then ultimately went stale. These are probably natural cycles. But it needs new blood or at least new shows at regular intervals.

In fairness you have to give credit to the likes of Gaybo, who lasted so long at what he did and to a lesser extent Gerry Ryan as well. It can't be easy.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2014, 12:29:34 PM
Just after hearing this news. I have watched & listened to Darcy a lot over the years. The show had become very stale lately and he was off nearly a month back in the summer so I am not surprised he is gone. It happened very sudden in the end as he was on Friday with no mention and then today he is gone. Must of been some sort of fall out.
I know he is not everyone's cup of tea but I have been with him from his days on The Den but I don't think I will be moving to RTE Radio 1.
The radio has changed so much in the last 5-6 years and I mean in a bad way with crap presenters.

Before that we had a raft of new stations bringing enthusiasm and new ideas (although some probably copied from abroad). This freshened things up a lot. I am thinking of shows like The Last Word, Dempsey, Tom Dunne's music show and to be fair Darcy for a while as well. But after they were new, they became the norm and then ultimately went stale. These are probably natural cycles. But it needs new blood or at least new shows at regular intervals.

In fairness you have to give credit to the likes of Gaybo, who lasted so long at what he did and to a lesser extent Gerry Ryan as well. It can't be easy.

I still think The Last Word is excellent!

Best Radio station about it TXFM. Not too complicated but just good music all the time.

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on December 08, 2014, 01:55:19 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 08, 2014, 12:29:34 PM

I still think The Last Word is excellent!

Best Radio station about it TXFM. Not too complicated but just good music all the time.

Yes, but I really meant Dunphy. The change of presenter every now and then does no harm.

The little bit of radio I listen to these days is usually Nova, and only when they are not talking.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I used to listen to a lot of radio, especially driving to and from work, or up and down to Dublin for work. Now I just listen to podcasts via the little FM transmitter for the car. I can't remember the last radio I listened to, maybe a bit of Off the Ball a couple of weeks ago.

cockahoop

the radio really has become crap recently,i used to listen to 2FM in the morning with Hector,i know he blathers on a bit but god there were plenty of funny stuff and plenty of good music,cant stand those clowns who took over his show,slabbers!! cool FM have presenters who think there American so im left will Ian dempsey,the show has got a little mundane and that mario boy just aint funny but the best of a bad bunch that time of the morning

laoislad

I've stopped listening to Dempsey also. Mario no longer funny and Paul Collins is the most annoying man on radio ever.

Radio Nova for me now in the mornings. Nothing like a bit of ACDC at 7am* to get you ready for work.

*Yes teachers 7am is an actual time of the day.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hereiam

I hate the sound of Collins voice.
More worryingly is that I have switch now and again to radio Ulster in the mornings, I'm sorry but listening to that every morning would drive u to the blue rope.

5 Sams

When I'm south of Dundalk I listen to Newstalk. Pity it can't be got in the north....excellent radio station. Otherwise it's Morning Ireland.
The Aristocrat Years

sans pessimism

I lost respect for that man when he insisted that he would emigrate if Enda ever became Taoiseach....last time I checked,(which is very seldom)the gobshite was still here.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

From the Bunker

Have not listened to his show in years. Had got predictable, stale and boring. As well as that I had got older and topic covered were no longer interesting. The worst thing with Ray was he started and continued to get more arrogant. This happens with popularity and being a celebrity I suppose.  It is probably the best thing to happen to today fm.

T Fearon

From the Bunker.You got older? How come?

macdanger2

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 08, 2014, 08:23:32 PM
Have not listened to his show in years. Had got predictable, stale and boring. As well as that I had got older and topic covered were no longer interesting. The worst thing with Ray was he started and continued to get more arrogant. This happens with popularity and being a celebrity I suppose.  It is probably the best thing to happen to today fm.

Yeah, he was good when he kept it light but then he started to think his opinion was important and everyone gave a shite about it. Haven't listened to him in the longest time

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on December 08, 2014, 08:26:40 PM
From the Bunker.You got older? How come?

One day you will know Mr. Fearon!  ;)