Road to be named after GAA star

Started by Lecale2, July 26, 2007, 07:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Given the place the GAA has in Irish heritage you would think this sort of thing would be more common.

I know that Cork has the Jack Lynch Tunnel and there's the Ring Road in Ballymena.

Can anybody come up with examples form other Counties?

http://www.galwayfirst.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1353&Itemid=663

stephenite

;D ;D

Great wind up - however Tuam has two roads named after the Terrible Twins, Stockwell and Purcell

Sky Blue

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 26, 2007, 07:28:44 AM

I know that Cork has the Jack Lynch Tunnel and there's the Ring Road in Ballymena.

The Ring Road?  :D :D :D

Galway All Star Ollie Kilkenny has a Road in Carlow named after him.

mannix

Not many roads called after mayo players but I managed to research some other interesting facts about the current green and red crop.

There is a chain of restaurants named after the great ciaran macdonald.
A television show after the bradys of mayo,"brady bunch".                                                                                      And "gardners world" tv programme after peadar gardiner,
Harte to harte was a production based on the off field life of pat harte,it starred robert wagner as pat and los angeles was used as a ballina double.
"howleys,believe it or not" was a show about the unreal stuff they have in knockmore and was compered by trevor howley.
Steve mcgarrett was the stage name for ronan mcgarrity when they were making the tv series "mayo 51" shortly after the originall series "hawaii 50" was cancelled because of crowd trouble.

Any others?

SouthArmaghBandit

There's a street in Armagh named after Tipp hurler Nicky English.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 26, 2007, 07:28:44 AM

Theres a deadly statue outside Cork airport.
Ask me holy bollix

thebandit

Theres a whole county named after Barry Monaghan

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

Bacon

There's an annimal named after that cute hoor, Pat Fox.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

neutral

Bull dung is named after some critter Spillane. 

his holiness nb

Blackrock is named after Barney Rock.
Its a bit racist though.
Ask me holy bollix

Hollow Man

thebandit

ardal

Our Ma always said she'd a county named after her also.

Hollow Man

Dicksboro's not a county...

;) sorry, couldn't resist!