brolly was he a good footballer or even the 1st cousin of a footballer

Started by the Deel Rover, July 25, 2007, 10:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

For me Brolly was a class act. I can't remember seeing too many backs get the better of him. In 97 when Cavan beat Derry it was done by stopping Derry getting ball into him. If he had got ball in hand Derry would have won that game easy. I suppose as a player (and like that Derry team) they did under achieve in a sense. I'd put brolly on a level par with the likes of Linden, but not up to the heights of Canavan. I would also say if a team like Mayo had a Joe Brolly they'd probably have an all ireland in recent times. Natural forwards like that are a priceless commodity.

Hardy

Joe must be lurking here all right. Our little contribution has been wiped from Wiki.

I don't seriously think it was Joe, though. I'd say he'd have the sense of humour to leave it there.

amallon

When I was with UUC we played Dungiven in a challenge match.  Brolly played the whole match with his track suit bottoms on.  The really interesting bit is that we had a bit of a tough customer playing corner back marking Brolly.  After about 5 mins I looked up the field and the two of them were having a great oul scrap on the ground with some heavy digs going in from both lads.  Brolly gave as good as he got.

He did go awol after Higgins gave him the deadner in 94.  Higgins was lucky not to get the line, if that happened in a game today he would have been sent off.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

full back

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 25, 2007, 11:30:30 AM
For me Brolly was a class act. I can't remember seeing too many backs get the better of him. In 97 when Cavan beat Derry it was done by stopping Derry getting ball into him. If he had got ball in hand Derry would have won that game easy. I suppose as a player (and like that Derry team) they did under achieve in a sense. I'd put brolly on a level par with the likes of Linden, but not up to the heights of Canavan. I would also say if a team like Mayo had a Joe Brolly they'd probably have an all ireland in recent times. Natural forwards like that are a priceless commodity.

Before the Down lads pounce on you, catch a f**king grip.
Brolly would be nowhere near Linden's class-Linden had no yellow streaks running down his back ;)

passedit

he was the missing link without which Derry would not have won the '93 All Ireland

Dont know about that, Derry managed to beat Down (the 91 &94 All Ireland winners) and Donegal current All Ireland champs without him in 93, why would ye feel he was the missing link

But he certainly was very good footballer, he has serious pace and a very accurate left foot

Derry would not have made the 93 AIF without Brolly, he was the difference v Dublin.

As for 94 he was in the top five performers in the best game I ever saw, lack of service and lenient reffing were more of an influence in his waning influence as the game wore on than Paul Higgins.

You can't play intercounty football as long and as well as he did and be yella.

BTW he's 100% right about C Mort, sunshine footballer.
Don't Panic

Deal_Me_In

Is he still playing football for St. Bridgids in Belfast or has he retired from that now too?

Sky Blue

timmyot501

Brolly was class but as a player opposing fans didn't like him. The blowing kisses was funny the first time but it just made him more hated. I suppose the fact that he blew the kisses quite often shows how good he was. He just loved to annoy - and he still does it well as a pundit.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yep, Brolly was a great footballer, and that's coming from someone who more than once wanted to put a boot in that kiss-blowing gob of his!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tbrick18

Brolly was a class act. The game of '94 was touted by many pundits as a game with the two best corner forwards in ireland in Brolly and Linden and I would put Brolly on a par with him.

I was at a corporate dinner once where Jarlath Burns was speaker. He said the in the weeks leading up to a championship game with Derry the whole worry in the Armagh camp was how they were going to stop Brolly. He was so fast, could turn on a penny and could score from the sideline. Not many oppostion players that I have known off have ever admitted worrying so much about any one player. I think that is a testament to just how good Brolly was.

I saw him play a few years ago for Dungiven in the ff line with big Geoff...the two of them destroyed us on their own.

A class act by any means.

Handball Ace

rrhf

Linden was better but Brolly played a beautiful game for Derry.  In fact within that Derry team he was the only forward they had outside their free taker, but as they won sam he was the only one they needed.  Class act.  That Cork team was done though. 

donegal gael

a yella b££tard who needed the ball handed to him before he did anything..

Maximus Marillius

donegal gael has got issues....need therapy...remember 98 :-* :-*in clones :-* :last few minutes :-* :P a Brolly special :D :D :D

BallyhaiseMan

as i said on thread eile about Joe Brolly,

how long did it take him to get out of Gerry Sheridans back pocket in 1997?  ;D

a great player though,Iriitating as f**k to opposing fans with his blowing kisses after scoring goals though.